Star anad other low carbers.....

N

Nomad

HELP!
I have lost 10+ doing the low carb thing. I am HAPPY about the weight loss and it has been relatively easy.
Well.....new thing and it is NOT good.
I am losing hair. A quick google search shows that this sometimes happens.
Have you heard of this? What might you know on the topic? I am adding a little more carbs and being more careful about vitamins and vegetables.
The odd thing is that I WAS forgetful about taking my multi this past month consitently. I am usually better with- this.
Has anyone had this happen to them or heard of this? UGH!

Are you too skinny? I lose hair when I'm too thin. I keep going up and down. I think if you maintain a healthy weight, you won't lose hair. You should have some carbs, your body needs everything.

M

ML

I don't think I've ever heard of weight loss associated with low carbs then again I've never researched it. Could it be a coincidence and related to something else? Is it a lot of hair? Are you going through menopause?

H

HaoZi

ML, if you've heard of the Atkins Diet, that's one of the most popular low-carb diets. And yes, without enough fat and nutrients in the diet you can end up with hair loss and extremely dry skin.

N

Nomad

Yes...when I googled it seems that 10% of those on the Atkins diet get this.
I was not doing low carb that strictly....and ate a nice amount of veggies...including juicing them.
Fortunately, my hair was unusually thick to begin with. I probably lost at least 1/3 of the volume. It seem to happen over a two week period.
My hairdresser thinks it is combination of low carb and being under too much stress.
I'm adding more healthy carbs.
She had a client who was very strict low carb (lost 100 pounds) and claimed that lots of vitamins and adding yogurt and nuts helped her with hair re-growth.
I am adding: brown rice, sweet potato, Greek Yogurt, more nuts (I was already eating them), an occasional high fiber cracker and tons of vegetables. I'm also being militant about taking my multi-vitamin.
The hairdresser thinks that if I am careful, it will come back in 6-9 months.
I'm trying to think positive.

LittleDudesMom

Wow Nomad,

I'm glad I read this. I've been loosely following the GI Diet (which is a low carb but no where close to an Atkins program - more sugar and whole food related) and have noticed some hair loss in the last several months (like you, I have a lot of hair)! I do brown rice and nuts but don't like sweet potato and Greek yogurt has too much sugar - I eat the fiber one brand. Good to know.....

Sharon

Atwater

Hi,,,
Protein,fat and carbs are required by the body in certain limit.The excess of everything is bad and less amount in the body may leads to weakness or several others diseases.On the whole it is much better to consume either Fat or protein but in required amount.(neither less not extra).

Star*

call 911........call 911
I do low sugar......and high protein.....but substitute things like wheat pasta wherever possible.

I've been loosing my hair to what the dermatologist said was male patterned baldness. (says him) but it's so thin on top I can comb it with a lice comb.....I've been using WEN and other non-sulfate shampoos and if it WAS MPB? I wouldn't be seeing any regrowth - which I am - slowly. So I'm more inclined to think mine is sulfate allergy OR it could just be wishful thinking AND I'm finally on the right diet/medicine for me after the last 1 1/2 years.
I'm supposed to take vitamin D 1000 (think that's it) and eat things high in Omega 3 fatty somethings - or supplements - but if I do? I can't leave the house. I can't even eat salmon and leave the house.

WEN and Loreal Sulfate system seems to be helping and I SWEAR Head and shoulders dandruff shampoo helps my hair stop thinning....doctor said "uh huh" but the proof is in the hair catcher -

Nomad - are you on any medicines which would cause or promote hair loss?

As far as stress? Well - suffice to say - Dude has been gone about the same lenght of time that I've changed my eating, exercise and medication habits and - gotta say - literally and figuratively I'm not pulling out my hair and the stress has gone down too.

I don't know.

LittleDudesMom

Star - my easy child just used WEN for the first time Sat. She has really, really, really, thick tendril curl hair that she wears natural 1/2 the time and then straight half the time. The WEN cut her drying and straightening time in half!!!!!!

I actually use the sulfate free loreal shampoo and conditioner -- sulfate free is "all the thing" now and most major brands carry a sulfate free line.

Sharon