Star, GN, others - rain rot?

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Got a pony with an advanced case of rain rot...do you guys happen to know any good treatments?

I've always done betadine baths and anti-fungal powder, but never had a case this bad - just wondering if there's something better.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Shari -

I know in Florida where I had some of our horses people used to get this that never took care of their horses. Mostly because it would rain a lot and they never bothered with grooming. It can and will get worse, but it puzzles me and makes me wonder - where you are isn't a wet/mosit climate. Cold - but not necessarily been snowing or wet where the coat would hold mositure? Maybe so -

If it has been and he has scabs? Im thinking staph. If it's like the worst case of rain rot you've ever seen - scabs on scabs type of thing. And you're on the right track with betadine, but I think you're going to need stronger potions for the pony.

He's not going to like Auntie Star after this either - so.....be warned. And wear gloves. And tie hims head cross wise in the barn.

First of all - you're going to need to determine if this is bad enough for a vet. My thought at this point is yes. Even without seeing it - When someone says "worst case or rain rot I've ever seen" with your experience I'm thinking he's going to need some penicillin based helped on the backside of your treatment. Especially like I suspect - staph. Best case scenario - it's rain rot and you can home remedy him, but never hurts to have an antibiotic boost.

Also - you're going to have to keep the skin DRY, DRY - DRY. And away from bugs, and biting things. That's going to be a challenge - and you can't put any kind of ointment on this - ointment bad. DRY good. People will probably tell you you can use Zinc - I'm not such a fan of that for healing in this case.

You have to soak the scabs then scrape down to pink skin. (See why I said tie him widdle head cross wise in the barn? It's going to hurt) Sometimes we used to use vaseline on the acorns to aid in them falling off - so maybe thinkin - Vaseline would soften the scabs up for a day or so and THEN scrape them off - stating again - NO ointment just - use Vaseline to soften the scabs OR water and glycerine mix on a pad/diaper left to soak on the patch if you want to stand there and soak it then scrape off. I'm thinking sweat blade - steralized - dunno never scraped scab patch that large. Make sure you rinse it each time in clorox & water

Once that's done. (I'd give carrot and kiss) and then you have to wash him in an antimicrobial shampoo for about 10 mins. and then use a good conditioner. Or if you use the OMG what do I have I am poor method? Betadine, Peroxide are okay (rinse with water on Peroxide but it's going to take about 2 bottles each time) or just go buy a bottle of Nolvasan. Pat VERY dry. Eventually it's going to get gray - this is good skin. You'll do this daily for a week. Personally? I'd try to tape the area with a gauze screen of sorts - cover for bugs, keep him dry - It's going to hurt.

I remember I swear adding a tsp of apple cider vinegar to our horses water in FL and I think it was to help their immune system, but I can't remember if it was for that or for the coat - (dratted brain). Also we used Avons Skin So Soft - on their coats to a mix of 3 to 1 - and the bugs and flies and bots NEVER landed on them. If you have some of that? You may spray it around his stall and around the wound - even at picnics - flies avoid that stuff like the plague.

Probably not a bad idea to talk to the vet about some sodium ampicillin or procaine something from the vet, plus get him on Immuno boosters while he's healing. Also check muzzle and legs for signs of rot - and if I were you? I'd zip all that heavy hair off the rest of him either with brushing BEFORE I start this or with clippers - if he can take the buzz. But get the hair off now - no one is going to be riding him for a while or having him pull carts - sounds like he needs some love and TLC anyway.

He sounds like he is FINALLY in his heaven! Good for him!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Coming out of winter this year, we've had nearly 50" of snow, and thunderstorms the past 3 weeks. And the past month or so, we've had several days in the 50's-60's. The horses are in the lot, waiting for the pasture to be ready for them, so unfortunately, its nice and moist right now. And, of course, I have been out of pocket in caring for them all winter, so I only get called in when something is obviously going haywire. My (ahem...) *D*H got a rather long lecture about "look" vs "feel" when it comes to caring for our 4-legged friends...but that's another story.

I didn't have much in the way of supplies last night, so I made do with what I could find, picked off as many scabs as I could, got him in the barn and nice and dry (no bugs yet - thankfully too cool for that yet). I scrubbed what I could with the betadine I had, then gave him some gold bond and lime (thinking dry dry dy)

After PT tonight, I plan to shave him. Hope the boys didn't wear out the clippers. He's a very hairy little pony (cute, soft hair with a very long mane and tail)

Where the scabs have already come off and the hair is gone is good healthy pink skin (he's very white). Only one spot that is raw at all, so will have to watch that. Thankfully not a lot of "scabs on scabs", as you describe, but I've never had one have as much of their body affected, or have lost so much hair. But you're right, antibiotics is probably a good idea. It'd help kill the rain rot, too...and as bad as he has it, I won't turn away extra help. I'll pick up some penG at lunch.

Thanks a bunch!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
And PS - me being "out of pocket" combined with a particularly wet winter combined with this little guy's exceptionally thick pony hair (this little guy has a very unique coat - very soft - always - more like the feel of a cat or even a young foal) was probably a setup for this, just as you described. Normally, I go out with them and just talk and pet and scratch and brush on them, and obviously, this winter, I haven't been able to.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Shari -

If you have a blade? (again toasty brain) I'd comb the mess out of him if you don't have a clipper - and then just keep using the betadine run out of that? Use peroxide. IF......you do NOT have cha ching.....go ahead and use ZINC on him. Not my first choice, but it's okay. I don't know about the Gold Bond - I think it's an ointment right? It would hold moisture. With lime on a white horse. I'm thinking skin irritation - Just my thought.

I get where you are coming from - I'd be careful or where you put that foot? It may get broken AGAIN.

Hugs

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
We do have clippers. The big boys used them for several years to buzz their own heads! lol I think they are still in the house! But yes, one way or another, the "glumps" have to come out. I'm just worried that as fuzzy as he is, with spring just starting, if I don't shave him, it will just be a traveling infection for him.

I'm not rich, but def. getting more betadine...that's just a tack room staple!

The gold bond is the powder. Not sure what all is in it off hand (I looked last night, but dont' recall now), but its the powder to keep your feeties dry.

Good point on the lime, too. Didn't think about that. He's a little paint, but his white is pink and his eyes are blue. So where he's white, He'S WHITE.

No more broken feet here. At least not for that reason! lol But a strategically placed HOE would work the same, don't ya think???

Star*

call 911........call 911
I don't know about you - but I won't let a hoe:cutie_pie: on my property - I got a shovel. I'm kinda territorial like that.

When I think of Gold Bond? All I could think of was Jock Itch, but hey whatever works....

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
ROFLM not-filled-with-hoe-OR-shovel AO

Shovel works. Good little sharp shooter ought to do the trick.

Jock itch...I didn't check him there. Maybe I should! lol

susiestar

Roll With It
I don't know about taking care of tihs, but I am sorry your horse is having problems. I hope that this can be healed quickly and with minimal pain. If you need to keep something in place to soak a scab to remove it easier, try using maxi pads or the depends pads. They are sterile when put in those individual wrappers. For a long time many ambulances kept maxi pads on board to absorb blood etc... because they work better than gauze and are sterile. Just make double darn sure they are NOT scented. The scented pads/tampons cause infection so they cannot be used on your horse, of course (even if he isn't Mr. Ed - sorry just got a bit of that theme song in my head), and should never be used on people either.

Depends are made to absorb water/urine so they may be even better than the maxi pads. They were not common when my uncle was an EMT so he didn't mention them. I do know they are sterile when packaged.

I hope your horse is better soon!! To make shaving him a lot easier and less likely to pull hair, be sure the blades are well oiled. You may want to stop partway through and oil them a bit. Horses can have tender skin and when you use clippers on tender skin it can pull the hair. Even sharp ones. So be sure to oil them if they start to bog down. I learned this with Wiz when the eczema got bad on his scalp.

susiestar

Roll With It
Oh, if you want to keep him dry dry dry and still soften the scabs, most ointments are vaseline based and do not have much water if any. Creams are a mix of water and oil. If you have a tube of bactroban ointment in the house it might be helpful (mupirocin is the antibiotic in bactroban) but make sure it is the ointment and not the cream. You might get a LOT more benefit from using aquaphor instead of vaseline. Aquaphor has chammomile in it and it really speeds up healing. I know that a friend uses it on her horses and says it is amazingly better than vaseline. It IS more expensive though.

If bugs become a problem, get a bottle of neem oil. It is an organic pesticide that is VERY safe for both humans and animals. Smelly pretty nasty in the bottle, but a mixture of 1 tablespoon in 32oz of water isn't bad smelling. A couple drops of essential oil can be used if you want - I use citronella oil and it is amazing on every pest we have tried.

As a bonus it is incredible on lice. Put a teaspoon in your hand, mix with enough shampoo for one wash, and wash wet hair with it. Let sit for about 5 min, then rinse. Use a lot of conditioner and comb out the nits, then rinse out the conditioner. Neem will kill adults and eggs both, plus messes them up so they don't reproduce if you miss one somehow. Keep checking for 3 weeks, and reuse if needed. As a nice bonus, the neem makes the nits comb out a LOT easier. Vacuum beds, furniture, car seats, etc... then spray with 1 tbsp neem in 32 oz oil and you won't have any problems with reinfection from the furniture. It works the same on fleas, thankfully.

Anyway, it may be helpful if bugs do become a problem before the poor horse is healed.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
The little guy is shaved up. He looks funny. He's shaved from the base of his mane to about 4" above his tail and halfway down each side. We didn't need to shave quite that much, but I went down below the line of the rain rot to good hair, hoping to stop any spreading. Got him scrubbed down, and doctored up, complete with a shot of pennicilin in his butt. And he took it like a trooper!

DammitJanet

I saw something on tv called Vetrycin I believe it is spelled. They say it is good for all animals and is better than other type things and can be used for bacteria, fungal and other type infections. Might want to look that up on the internet. I saw it on animal planet.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I learn MORE from this board than I do ANYWHERE.

I'm going to throw Maxi pads in my 1st aid kit in the car. That's very clever Susie* and I never thought about Aquaphor but you are RIGHT! Brilliant.

You know - sad confession here - (lol) I keep KY by the nightstand (STOP IT....) for my nose (see you think) .....I have lots of nosebleeds in the Winter because the heat dries out my sinuses. I used to put a dab of Vaseline in each nostril - then my nurse practitioner told me to try KY - it's waterbased and works WAY better than Vaseline. I figured well - what else can I do with it - lol. :mobile1:And it works like a charm. Only think is try to tell that to a bunch of truckers - at a rest stop and you'll really really get a lot of laughs the rest of the day - and they all went home and TRIED it --------so I got to laugh the next day. Men ..........such nose stuffers.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I haven't had a period in years, but I always pack maxi's in the first aid kit. For people AND horses. The dri-weave is also NON STICK to ANY wound. That and a roll of vet wrap and a tube of neosporin will buy you a lot of time to get back to the trailer/house/camper/car....

Star*

call 911........call 911
That reminds me of the time when Dude was about 3 years old - He was in his room playing and then all of a sudden it go so quiet. Then I hear these "PKEEEEEW" noises. Found him sitting in the bathroom on the floor in front of the sink -----with a box of tampons. He had peeled the paper off of all the cardboard tubes and was popping the bottoms on this palm and the floor yelling "Blast off, and "we hab LIPT off." - the Maxis were all over the wall...he was Sooooo proud.