Star* - Thinking of you & Dude tomorrow

Star*

call 911........call 911
UPDATE -

Well, I am not sure how or what happened -maybe someone here will recognize this situation and comment....as Caseworker WAS THERE and STILL can't explain it to me and said (are you ready for this) If you want to know what's happening - call your son.

OMG CALL WHO??? DUDE?? KING OF IDUNNOH???

What the CW was able to tell me is that EVERYONE in the hearing agreed that a 17 year old boy with a history and diagnosis like his (PO WAS TOLD TO ZIP IT on the "nothing wrong with you kid" theory) was handed too harsh a sentence for his first time in a courtroom.

Like I said before - there is something here that a real attorney could tear apart on grounds of bad advice - basically we got a crummy deal and NO advice. A jail house visit the day before and didn't even show up in court the day of - sent his secretary.

So from what I'm told if this is possible and I'm really holding off on calling Dude-
The restitution & probation fees went from 110 a month to $29.00, and his probation time went from 3 years to 2 years.
I don't know about court costs which are flat $500.00 (no such thing as a free PD anymore no matter HOW poor you are in SC it's a flat $500)

So in one day - in ONE county vs. the county he was actually charged in with an actual hearing judge - who was REALLY cool and worked with Dude who told him that he's trying really hard to get a job but with a felony charge - he's being turned down and especially since it's for burglary no one is even looking at him. He said to lie would make it worse if they did ever run a background check - so he has no idea what to do, and they suggested Job corps - he said he thinks he'd like that, but needs to make money. Does job corps pay - is it something for our kids??

Is it possible that we went from $70 restitution, 40 probation fees, and 20 court costs to $29.00 because this hearing guy/judge said that was ridiculous????

Dude never gets the story straight which is why it cost me over $750 to get him caught up the last time - to which the hearing officer said "Well how Have you been paying?" and Dude in his infinite wisdom said "Basically? Ripping off my parents my Mom isn't well but works and my Step dad is disabled and gets SSI. - THEY paid for me, and I have to pay them back." - I ain't holding my breath.

Anyone?

DammitJanet

That actually sounds plausible star. Cory has some fees waived because of him being unemployed and on disability. He doesnt have to pay the monthly probation fee...just the initial set up fee. He does have to pay some of his court costs and we are waiting to hear what his lawyer will end up costing him and he has to pay restitution but some of the other fees are waived.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
WOW... well I have been catching up! I must say, you have done good little lady! To pull yourself out of this, and to stand back. To make him "try" to do the right thing... who knows if he will get it, who knows if you will get an accurate story from him??? But after the cr@p he has pulled, he needs to fix this on his own. At least start the process, or show that he is trying!
Good for you. It must be so hard, trying, tiring... hugs.

Steely

Star? I think this is good? Right? Or am I confused?
Wasn't he looking at 15 years? Or is that something different?
Regardless, it sounds sorta good? Hopeful at least?

Hugs:peaceout:

Star*

call 911........call 911
Steely -

THIS particular day was NOT the court for 15 years. That is yet to come and seriously considering firing the PD. She has not even called for the first bit of information and this to us is serious - 15 years and she can't /won't return phone calls to Dude's caseworker even. NOT a good sign.

No - THIS day in court was a result of him being 5 months beind in his payments. He had a Probation officer that was on her way out - found another job and told him to not worry about paying for the fees as long as he was looking for a job. To Dude - if he stuck his head out of the truck window as he got a ride past a Burger king that was hiring -he was looking. SO...he got 5 months behind. Then a warrant was to be issued. I spoke with his new PO (a real nut) and she urged me to get him caught up. So $750 later, he was staying out of jail. He has to pay $70 restitution, $40 probation and $40 court cost every month, and was given 3 years probation. I have no idea how you can go from what a judge tells you in one county to reduced fees, reduced probation in another - but it sounds like that is the deal.

As far as the future bogus court date and the 15 years - that still very much looms in the near future. I told the caseworker he needs to meet with the PD face to face - and he said she won't return phone calls. She wants medical history on Dude proving he's a tilt a whirl - and I have it - but she hasn't sent the release forms. Not to anyone and I have given her a typed 3 page list of "contacts" - so that's where we are with that.

And not to DEFEND Dude - but I would have a hard time working and doing the right thing if I knew it was only going to have me in jail at 17 for 15 years. We even left Dude walk out ahead of us in the PD's office hoping she would give a wink and a nod then say - I hope I scared him - but she scared us all because it is a reality. Even though it's bogus.

I won't advise Dude to take the deal and have another felony strike - one more in life and he's in jail for life. So my advice to him will be to go to jury -

Yesterday he told the judge Job corp sounded good and the judge seemed pleased with that - but you can go to Job corps if you have charges pending.

I hate not being able to know or put stuff in a box - Know what I mean?? Their problems only become larger and more uncontrollable as they get older.

Thanks for asking.

busywend

Star, my difficult child looked at Job Corp - you know, anything to get away from her horrible parents.
When I looked into it - it seems like they are there to help people between 16 & 22ish get something going. Get some job training, have structure like the armed forces.
However, when reading the fine print - they could come back to ME for years after providing for my child to get money back. If I ever won the lottery - they would get a portion of that money. I would be sure to emancipate first - and even then I am not sure you would not owe them someday.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Busy -

Thanks for the advice -

You know I read that - and thought to myself. EVERYONE has had a piece of me over the years where difficult child is concerned - and I can't figure out for the life of me HOW I am STILL so big.

THanks for the advice. I'm a nerd for fine print. :full: