Start of another long week..

lonelyroad

This will be week 3 of my grade 8 child missing school, not because she won't go, but literally can't go. Depression, anxiety make it very difficult for her to get to class...

This is the longest she has ever missed...the plan for her to sit in the office sucks, because part of the problem is the depression embarrasses her and she is ashamed to be seen by her peers...(note I didn't say friends, as they have all disappeared...)so its a huge deal sneaking her in...

The Doctors and Pscycologists all agree she has to go in the school building every day..not necessarily to class but to the building..

They dont really do anything with her..just have her sit there and read or do some little odd jobs..

I really want my smiling sweet child back, I want to hear her sing in the shower again...

StressedM0mma

LR, I understand. I was there not all that long ago with my daughter who is in 9th grade. She missed so many days this year I cannot count. We did a PHP program, and IOP program, and she was in a psychiatric hospital for a week. We still battle it, but things are so so so much better now that we have broken down some of her walls and found out what was producing the anxiety. And the right medication combination.

I know how hard it is to get her to school. We backslid last week and she only went 2 of the 5 days. But, she is up and in the shower for today. While I understand where they are coming from that she needs to be in the building to "get over" the anxiety, if it is that bad, going is making it that much worse. I know you said that there are not any psychiatric hospital programs in your area. What about through the county you live in? Even if you do not qualify, they are great for giving out resourses.

If you would like to PM me, I would be happy to talk to you, and sort of explain what we did, and how my daughter is doing at this point.

Hugs, and be sure to try to take care of yourself during all of this. As hard as it is, don't let yourself get lost in her.

buddy

Stressed offers great advice. If you look at her posts from when she joined you will hear a very similar story. They have been through it. Seems like if their only answer is to stick her there it is not enough. I am on my phone so dont remember if she is in Special Education.for emotional disorders. If not there are specific steps. Let us know because she has rights to have specialized teachers who understand anxiety and depression. They are denying her an education right now doing it this way. If she is on an iep they need to do an fba (functional behavioral assessment ) and improve her goals and behavior intervention plan to a positive skill building plan. If you are interested in that let us know many of us have had to go thru that process and can share. Hang in there. She will come back to you.