Starting a new phase in my life!

witzend

Unfortunately, I was in so much pain yesterday after work that I went to sleep at 4 in the afternoon, got up to eat, then went to bed again. I was up at 4 AM because of the burning pain in my back. Not a good sign. :frown:

The office design is really poor, and I know I can't do the work at that desk and I'm not certain that she has anyone that can put a keyboard drawer in for me. She has it set up so that the keyboard and mouse are at about chest level, and I can't reach that high. A keyboard drawer is simple and cheap, but I don't know if it will help considering the other things she has added to the job description. I will talk to her about it today. It may be a very short-lived job indeed.

When I interviewed, I told her I wanted to work two or three days a week, for a total of12 - 15 hours a week. She asked if I could work 20 sometimes, and I said yes, but I wouldn't want to make a habit of it. She seemed fine with this. It occurs to me when I got home to think about what she was saying about scheduling yesterday is that she wants me half days five days a week. I just can't physically do that, and I will have to tell her that this morning. There's no reason for her to get all involved in training me if it's for something I can't do.

I also reviewed my resume, and thought about what she is asking me to do. My shoulder blades are not well attached to my body, which causes tendinitus which is extremely painful. Things that may seem simple, like stuffing envelopes or stapling work papers together are things that I can't do. Reaching or pushing or pulling just won't work. She wants me to photocopy 25 binders full of 300 pages with chapter dividers that need to be 3 hole punched. I can't do that. My resume was for computer work and scheduling. If she needs a file clerk, she needs to advertise for one.

It doesn't matter though, if it doesn't work out with her I will just keep looking. I can't overdo though. There is a reason that I have been on disability for 9 years, I can't ignore that and make myself worse. (by the way, I didn't hurt at all after the radio station job. Go figure!)

Marguerite

About the desk - can you raise the chair and then put something under your feet (like a stack of phone books)?

I don't have your problem but I have others. I also have a young friend with the same diagnosis as you - she's kept her strength up by swimming a lot as she was growing up, but she's always self-conscious about her shoulders.

I had one boss who was told by my agency that I was to work no more than half-days on non-consecutive days. She kept changing the rules on me and I had to call in my agency to sort it out. I eventually left - it was more trouble than it was worth. They kept changing my work area around and taking away stuff I needed, to cope. One week I was using the computer; the next week she said I was on the computer too much and I would have to hand-write (which I can't do for long and she knew it). Then she complained that she couldn't read my writing.

Surely she can see the sense in using you for your abilities, and not running you into the ground doing stuff she could ask others to do with less fallout? If she can't, then I'd be moving on, too.

We can often find other ways around a problem but not if someone else keeps making changes, just to see what we do. When that happens I feel like an ant under some kid's magnifying glass - whenever I move to get away from the heat, that darned kid follows me just to see what I'll do next.

Good luck with this one. Hope your back and shoulders can stand the pace.

Marg

O

OTE

Keep that positive attitude and you'll find something. If not this one, something else.

There's a way around every problem. It may require some financial investment on your part but something like remote access can cost $20/mo and let you work from home.

Star*

call 911........call 911
WE,

I've been under a tad of stress and not reading things right and thought your post said "Starting a new phrase" so forgive me for not responding sooner. I thought you were going to come out with something catchy or catty. I mean it IS you that posted right?

Anyway...what I wanted to tell you is that depending on where you live, in which state etc. there are places that will (if by doctors prescription or not) allow you so much in a proper task chair, key board, foot board etc (office equipment for someone with any ANY type of disability) I was able to get an 8 hour task chair ($250) paid for in full completely deductible. You can also check with your local Dept. of Disability and Special Needs people or whatever it's called in your area and ask them WHERE someone who has back and neck injuries would get a good discount on a good quality task chair/keyboard tray etc. It is ALL tax deductible IF you are self-employed and tax deductable for an employer.

When I left the office? I took my chair my mouse gel pad, key pad, wrist wrest, foot board...everything. It was purchased for me to make me comfy and was of no use when the office closed.

Maybe there is something or a program like this where you are that will help. ?

Hugs and congrats.
Star