Starting medications in the Morning

jessica_1

Good evening!

Tomorrow my son and I are to start medications for the VERY first time. Am I weird to be this scared about it? How will I know if it is not working? How will I know if it is working? How will I know if his side effects are normal? Will I even know if he is having side effects? Oh, I'm just very nervous about all of this. What do I tell him it is and why he is taking it? He is six. Oh my, nervous nelly here!

Hoping for the best!

buddy

When Q was little I just told him that the doctor said his body needed it. I didn't want him to be confused about anything in his brain etc... as he has gotten older we do talk a little more, especially about the seizure medications. But I am sure Q can't ever remember a day without medications since he has been on something, at least a seizure medication since age 1.

I sure hope it goes well. Is there some reason you are starting tomorrow? If this is your first time using medications with him, I will share with you that I only start medications on weekends or if they are a medication that needs to build up, I do it on a school break that gives us many days to watch for side effects etc. Just a suggestion. It will probably be fine, and I learned that lesson after he had an issue on a medication. I forgot what you decided to start....

jessica_1

He is out of school until Monday. Exactly why I thought this would be a good time to start, so I WOULD be with him. I am talking to the doctors again tomorrow to make the finaly decision as to what my son will use.

buddy

He is out of school until Monday. Exactly why I thought this would be a good time to start, so I WOULD be with him. I am talking to the doctors again tomorrow to make the finaly decision as to what my son will use.

Great minds think alike! Though, you figured it out much faster than did I!!!! I had to have an issue to figure out that trick. LOL

jessica_1

I just think I'm so scared about the whole situation that I won't let him be under anyone elses care at the time! Lol - paranoid mom!

H

HaoZi

Keep a journal, it should help you figure it out. Study up on the medication itself, expected side effects, unusual side effects, dangerous side effects. Sometimes it's easy to tell soon if it's the wrong medication, sometimes it can take quite a while to tell if it's the right medication.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Hope it all goes well. It's totally normal to feel scared the first time. I know when difficult child tried his first medications at 4 I was very scared and didn't really want to try it but also knew he needed it (even at that young age).

InsaneCdn

One kid started at 6... the other at 5. Both of them knew that "their brains weren't working right" (their words, not ours). They'd come home from school saying things like "I can't think". So... when we went through the evaluation process, they knew why we were doing it. And when we started medications... ditto. But it might depend on how aware your child IS of the problem and how involved they have been in the process.

DDD

Most of us felt the same way...you are not alone. I, too, kept it short and sweet. "Dr. X thinks you need to take this."No long explanations and absolutely showing nonchalance no hesitation. Kids are like magnets and if they see signs of concern they adopt concerns. Think of it like you would a vitamin.

Of course your real feelings are valid adult parental feelings. Make sure the Dr. is qualified. Read information on the medication. Scour through the CD forum. Do not be surprised if the info includes bizarre scarey possibilities as the drug companies have to list every side effect reported by every person. Get yourself a notebook and make notes as you trial the medication. Short notes. "Good morning" "Sleepy at dinner". Just brief notes so you will be able to see any changes. Remember that often medications get changed as one works fine and another doesn't. Almost everyone has had to make changes and your notes will make it clear to you and the Dr. if it's helping or not.

Also make sure you ask the Dr. if the medication is quick in/quick out like most ADHD medications or if the medication builds up over time. Some just can't be skipped or stopped quickly. Good luck. I remember the fear well but my difficult children truly have benefited from the medications. Hugs DDD