Steroid munchies

F

flutterbee

I. Can't. Stop. Eating.

It's been 3 days now. I want to eat every second. When I'm not eating, I'm thinking about what I could be eating next.

I don't have much of an appetite normally, though you wouldn't know it to look at me. I normally eat one meal a day.

And I don't want carrots, or apples, or salad. I want meat. And some more meat. And then some more. And cheese. With some bread thrown in, too. I'm not normally real big on meat.

I'm having a Weight Watchers turkey breast and mashed potatoes right now. I think I'll follow it up with some cheese puffs. Do you have any idea how many years it's been since I bought cheese puffs? I can't even remember. And I got the big bag.

I'm going to be the size of a house by the end of the month. :faint:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Hopefully the steroids won't be necessary for too long. Gee, I knew they could make you put on weight, but I didn't know they could give you a serious case of the munchies.

I've got a sweet tooth going on myself right now. Nichole just had to bring home a Heath bar one day. Couldn't begin to tell you how long it had been......maybe 20 some years since my last one. Well chuck that, I've been going to town on them every since. sheesh. I'm craving the darn things. I haven't done this in years. I wonder if my iron is low? hmmmmmmmm

Wiped Out

Staff member
Heather,
I'm sorry you have the steroid munchies-(never heard it explained like that before but it makes sense). Like Lisa said, I hope you don't have to be on them too long. Take a few cheese puffs and send the rest my way-I'll make the sacrifice!

I remember when I first started taking cortisone when I was 19 and found out I had Addison's Disease. I gained about 15 pounds in two weeks! I was always hungry (well truth be told I was always hungry before but because I had little to no cortisone in my body nothing ever stuck to me).

F

flutterbee

I had cheese puffs for breakfast. :bag:

This has got to stop.

I stopped the steroids. It works pretty fast on my small joints and I can now get my fingers together again to pick up my medications. The injections have helped significantly in my shoulders and hip. Good enough for me. Otherwise, I'm going to have to return all the clothes I just got. And they're really cute. That would just really svck.

KTMom91

I was on an extensive course of prednisone because my asthma was totally out of control about eight years ago. I put on 75 pounds. I'm still carrying it around. Now, add the fact that I pretty much haven't been able to walk comfortably or exercise since June. I feel like the Goodyear blimp and I hate it.

I know what you mean, Heather.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I was on a pretty steady diet of prednisone growing up - for asthma. It made me get wicked cravings. I would eat, but mostly it made me speed. Up until about two or three years ago, I would speed my brains out and gain strength I never knew I had...I would give myself projects to do. And then I would binge eat like mad...and yes, MEAT! CARBS up the yang. Yikes! And now, all the prednisone does is make me really REALLY mean and cranky (that's putting it VERY nicely).

I wish you well...I hope they help enough that you can stop them. In the meantime, enjoy those cheese puffs. My downfall is yodels. I can't not eat them. :whiteflag: