Strange hair color

susiestar

Roll With It
Ok. My hair is just weird. No other way to describe it. It is very thick, extremely so. And very coarse. Super straight all on it's own.

I just had 14 inches cut off the length. Locks of love declined and so did the other groups because it is partly grey. They were not even nice about it. Snooty email.

So it is now just a couple of inches below my shoulders in a blunt cut. No bangs.

I always had dishwater blond hair. It would get great highlights in the summer, all on it's own.

NOW it is just strange. The front and top sections are platinum colored. Some of the layer just under the top layer is kind of a medium blond color.

In the back, under the top layer the hair is a dark brown!!! I NEVER had hair that color. I have NO CLUE why it is that color now. It is just strange! Four years ago all of that hair was grey or blond. NO dark hairs.

WHY is my hair now so dark? And only in the back and not all of the hair. My hair is so heavy and thick that at first the lighter hair covers all of the dark. But if I pull it up, or mess with it or a breeze catches it, then the dark shows through.

It is very confusing to me. I am glad I don't have to look at it except in mirrors!

Abbey

Spork Queen
Maybe...just maybe you're reverse aging!!! Enjoy!

I'm going under the knife today with my hair, well...haircolor wise. Going to try something new. I tried just letting it go grey. Yuck. I aged a good 10 years. Then on Tuesday I actually have an appointment to have it cut for the first time in nearly a year. I just have done a snip job myself here and there.

Abbey

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Susie

When my Mom was a little girl her hair was so blonde it was basically white. As a teen and thru her adult years it was a dirty blonde, so she dyed it a bit lighter shade. Now as an elder her hair is this weird dark brownish color.......not all of it mind you, but enough that it makes her hair look mostly this mousey dark brownish. Not a very appealing color either. At 70, she's just beginning to get a few white patches. It only makes it look worse.

She also has very very thick (OMG you wouldn't believe!!!) coarse straight hair. Beauticians actually hate to do her hair. LOL

Sounds like you both have the same problem.

Mom won't bother with dying her hair anymore. I sort of wish she would at least to get the color a bit more even. It would look better.

Hmmmm. Good to know about Locks of Love. I was growing mine out for them. Since I have white (a good amount) in my hair, I guess I'll stop worrying about it. I've never dyed my hair and am not planning on it in the future.

by the way.....we have the same hair style. LOL

Hugs

Abbey

Spork Queen
OMG - when it said 'copper brown', they REALLY meant COPPER. This is sitting on top of my head right now and I look like the bottom of a copper pot. Oh, my...

Abbey

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
:rofl: :rofl:

OMG!!!

You reminded me of the one time I attempted to dye my hair blonde...........I sat in front of the mirror and bawled like a baby.

I looked like Lucille Ball.........OMG all that bright red hair!!!! :faint: :rofl:

Which is why I never dye my hair.

Ummmm maybe it will mellow as you wash it??

Mattsmom277

I have jet black hair that sometimes in summer gets some reddish highlights/cast. It was always wavy/curly. Now it is bone straight. I started getting white hair a few years ago. I'm talking snow white. Shiny. Very wiry and coarse. Looks just like fishing line! Stands out on a full head of black hair! Now I'm finding some gray ones. I have no clue how to dye it since I hear white hair like the ones I'm getting don't take color well. I hate the look of that fake black hair dye, but even the darkest brown shade changes my natural color so drastically.
I know we are all supposed to accept the natural issues of aging. but I don't WANT TO!!!

M

ML

That was nice of you to try to donate your hair and i'm sorry you got a snooty email. I would love to have more hair, and grey is beautiful! I'm not sure why your hair is darker but it sounds pretty.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Susie, it's probably due to hormone changes as you age. Two of my kids had very blonde hair as babies, and it darkened up a lot as they got older. So perhaps your situation is just in reverse. See, you're actually getting younger!

muttmeister

I haven't seen the real color of my hair since I was 16 years old. It's been every shade of blonde, several shades of dark brown, and, lateley, quite a few shades of red. I know what I have now doesn't look natural but I like it and today while I was eating out, two different people complimented me on my hair. When you get to be my age, everybody knows it's really gray and that it's dyed so I figure I might as well go with something fun.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Daisy - it's ok. The copper stuck most to the grey roots...I'm hoping with a few washes it will even out. Not as bad as I thought, though. After the haircut, I'll take a picture.

Abbey

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
My mother is a redhead. Her hair faded over the years to a sort of strawberry blonde. I went the other way. My hair was strawberry blonde.

It darkened over the years into a chestnut color and now is a mousy, darkish brown with several lighter shades mixed in.

Add in the occasional white hair that sticks up like an antenna...sigh

susiestar

Roll With It
Abby, there are some tricks to coloring your hair. First off, use a product made for gray hair. Second, don't use the cheapest stuff or ANY 10 min stuff. I stuck with Loreal excellence and preference and had good luck.

If possible, with gray hair, go to a Sally's and get the professional strength hair color and a bottle of developer. the kits have the color in the tube and the developer in the bottle. You have to buy the bottle and measure out the developer and color. It is NOT hard.

I always needed at least 2 kits.. Now I would need 3! So I mixed shades. Never ones too far apart, but after spending YEARS listening to the students talk about mixing color for clients (the owner of a school did my hair for a long time - and I would listen as he did my hair in front of a class. Once or twice a year I was some poor student's final exam. Poor student. )

If at all possible, go and ask at Sally's how to tame your color.

Or go to a walgreens or go online and order some Prell. If you skip the conditioner at first and use prell it will take a lot of the color out. The conditioner helps to close and seal the cuticle of the hair, which keeps the color in. If you wait until you use some prell and then do a DEEP conditioner for 10 mins ( get out of the shower, towel dry the hair, put the conditioner on and cover iwth a plastic bag and a towel for 10 mins, then rinse out) it will help tame the color.

Use the conditioner that came with the color or any good intensive conditioner. Suave makes a 2 or 3 minute conditioner that is in a tube and is excellent for this. It is also dirt cheap.

The people at Sally's can help you pick a shade. Usually they are licensed cosmetologists working for some extra cash.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I have determined that I need a strange set of colors on my head.
Top is light light blonde, though my ash-blonde roots are coming in and they look very dark to me.
Next bit is dark strawberry blonde - what happens when you put red on top of bleach blonde.
Bottom is dark maroon. I like the not-found-in-nature color. I do need to redo it, though, because it is fading.

Aussie products will also tone down hair, especially the 3-Minute Miracle conditioner.