Strange thinking

Wiped Out

Staff member
difficult child thinking is so strange right now (well usally it is but in abundance this morning). In the half hour I've been up here is some of what he said.

"If Mom comes to the movie I'm not going." We told him then just husband and I would go to which he replied, "Then I'll strangle Mom."

He came down the stairs asking when he should take his medications-something he never does. I told he knew I had just told them to take them (he hadn't come down and if he doesn't take his medications when asked he doesn't get a chip. He started screaming at me that I couldn't put words in his mouth, I don't have his ears so how do I know if he heard. I would maybe tend to believe that he didn't hear but with the way he came down the stairs asking I know he did.

Then he started singing, "Mommy **cks her mommy." Then he said he never wanted a mommy. I thanked him for his opinion. Through all of this I have remained very calm. He replied that he wished I would runaway already. Asked me when would I run away. I told him I had no plans to run away.

He then went into how he hated this family. Then he said really he likes Dad and me (really after all he just said?) but doesn't like easy child.

The next second he is asking me to shuffle cards and play a card game with him as though nothing had happened. When I asked if why I would play with him after everything he had said, his reply, "What did I say that was bad?" When I pointed out things he had said, he sang, "My mommy **cks me." Then he said well that was even worse wasn't it? I replied that right now I didn't want to talk with him and he said, he likes to make fun of people sometimes.

Next minute he is asking me to play cards, read what the tv guide says, play basketball with him. He truly doesn't get it! Grrr! He was supposed to be at respite last night and today but his provider is sick. Should be a fun weekend!

K

Kjs

I admire you so much. I could no way stay strong and calm. I have nothing to comment on this. My heart just hurts for you. And I admire your strength. You are one wonderful mommy.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Kjs-I'm not so strong-I just know with my difficult child had I gotten upset or angry things would have quickly escalated. Plus, this is typical kind of thinking for him-just was so much of it this morning. Thanks for the kind thoughts.

Andy-He hates going to respite and was relieved not to go so I don't think this is related to that. I hate to say but it is just how he is so often. He does seem to be spiraling up a bit as we also received an e-mail yesterday from difficult child's case manager. I'm guessing it is something with the time of the year.

WSM

What do you think is happening? Me knowing nothing about anything, it just seems as tho maybe difficult child is dealing with a sdden thinking disorder, maybe racing thoughts, or intrusive thoughts or something and he's trying to control them (hence the asking for the medications) but some of them are getting away from him. And the electrical impulses are firing so fast he's not tracking what he's saying and didn't remember or consider they'd be offensive or have consequences.

Or, if he were like my difficult child, he'd be pulling your leg trying both to get a reaction and not have to take responsibility for it.

But the randomness of his subject matter seems to indicate he can't help it.

Do you have a professional you can call? I'm sure this is a bit scary, sort of the thing schizophrenics or maybe tourette children do. Not diagnosing, but can imagine how unsettling it is. Did it get better after the first half hour?

difficult child was like that in bipolar manic states:can't reason. I try not to react. Did the same thing:rages then demands. She is much, much better since being in Residential Treatment Center (RTC) for 7 weeks:has not theratend me,used emtional blackmail, or verbally abused me in 2 weeks. She is expressig things more directly of course she is adherent with medications. The real test will be when she has first home visit in about 6 weeks. A lot of her epsiode type behvior was chemical imbalnce stuff. She jsut called and I told her how proud I am :she asked for deorderant in a very non-demanding, appropriate tone.

TerryJ2

Sheesh.
I agree with-wsm that it sounds hyper and random and as though he can't help it.
Definitely, DO NOT react. You are doing the right thing. Just let it slide.
Gosh, I hope you can get to the bottom of it. Any medication changes coming up?
{{hugs}}

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
K gets this way when she is Manic or hypo... just flat out horrible, weird, racing, delusional, stupid things come out of her mouth.
She does the "Abandon me, leave me, kill me" sort of thing...
I have learned to not even react to it even though it rips my heart out at times.
She will go from hateful evil comments, to begging sobbing comments asking us to leave her and how she is horrible and no good.

Sometimes her thought process is so weird. Between the delusional, grandiosity, flat out ups and downs of BiPolar (BP) it just wears me out!!!

Sorry this morning was excessive! At least most days we have a theme! LOL
Right now we are on crime, bad guys! You know more negative stuff!

Wiped Out

Staff member
ML-You're right I do need the respite!

WSM-Not sure what is happening. His thinking often is strange. I don't know if it's his short term memory issues, his executive function issues, or maybe some mania trying to break through. It got better for a while but basically all day he was like this.

Compassion-I'm glad your difficult child is doing better. I hope that it will continue when she comes home.

Terry-No medication changes coming up. He was doing so well last month the psychiatrist thought we could skip a month so he doesn't have an appointment. til the end of April. He said if needed though, just to call and they would get difficult child in.

Totoro-I do think it may be mania trying to break through but I'm not really sure what is going on.

He's sleeping now-thank goodness. He really kept on right through the whole day until after his late afternoon medications. Then he settled some. He would keep on calling both husband and I names. One minute he would be calling us fat or retards and then asking us to do something with us or for him. I'm crossing my fingers tomorrow is a better day.

I wish I knew what was going on, his thought process is often very distorted so I don't know if this is part of that or if it is the mania right now. Either way it is a bit scary and I do know that it is wearing husband and me out.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I would have a hard time with the whole day of the name calling!
Do they make muzzles for kids?

husband and i sometimes have to try so hard not to start cracking up when K is trying to say mean things to us!
Because she doesn't know how to curse yet, and she doesn't really know how to be mean quite yet!

So she will be ready to explode and so worked up, "and and and well just abandon me, you hate me. you never liked me. And well you stink!"

I know it will come in the future, but for now it still is pretty funny!
Even in her room, she has taken a permanent marker and written, "Mom loves N"
"Mom and Dad hate me" and then a stick figure and a sad face...

I got mad about the pen, but husband and I later laughed about her little outburst!

I hope he is done with the nasty comments in the morning.

susiestar

Roll With It
I am sorry you are having to deal with this. You did a really good job, though it must have been exhausting for you.

Is there any chance that something like tourette's is behind all the stuff he is spitting out? Not sure I know much about it, but I do know it is seizure related and maybe, jsut maybe, there is some element of that going on? From the 1 person I know with-a child with bipolar and tourettes, this sounds like what her child says at times.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
What an awful day, Sharon. When wm got this way here at home I'd be ready to explode. Your difficult children thoughts are so distorted & random.

I'd be calling psychiatrist & getting him in before the end of April if this continues.

Hoping today is better for difficult child & you.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Mary-He was up early and wild this morning, but seems to be settling down a bit right now. Thanks for the hugs and strength-I need it!

Totoro-Muzzles sound like a good idea! I would be cracking up with K as well!

Susie-It was exhausting! I don't know about the Tourettes-I'll have to do some research. From the little I've heard about Tourettes it doesn't seem like it but who knows-with my difficult child nothing would surprise me.

Linda-Believe me there were times I wanted to explode yesterday-I was actually proud of myself for holding it together. If it continues in abundance like yesterday I will be calling the psychiatrist early.

I'm truly hoping today will be a better day.

Stef

Dazed and Confused
Every so often we get the old; leave me, abandon me, I'll be in prison, I don't care about nothin', put me in and forget me, etc ad nauseaum. Whatever. When it happens I'll just brush it off- okay whatever sort of thing. Later on we'll address the underlying issue.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
All I have are hugs for you. It sounds like you're keeping it together despite everything and I so wish I was like you... I can't keep calm that well!

Wiped Out

Staff member
Terry-Thanks for the crossed fingers!

Steph-It really is best to brush it off-after a while though it gets difficult.

StepTo2-Thanks for the hugs! Some days I have to work much harder than others at staying calm!

He seems a little more settled but not completely. We're keeping a close eye on things.