Stress and eating

jannie

trying to survive....
AAAAHHHH!!!:biting: I just can't stop eating. I eat when I'm bored. I eat when my kids are having a hard time. I eat with them when things are going well. It's as though food is the only thing that makes me happy and gives me comfort. And yes, I do things for myself. I do go out monthly with friends. I've tried so many things...and the bottom line is that I don't stick with anything. For the past four years I walked regularly with a friend before work. And then she hurt her leg...so I haven't exercised in at least three months. Will I ever get it together enough to get myself back in shape??? :mad: I"ve even purchase two books on emotional eating...and I just can't get myself to actually finish the book.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Jannie,
I wish I had the perfect answer to stress and eating. Sometimes I have it so under control and I think I've got it mastered then BAM! I can't control my eating no matter what I try. :morecrackers::morecrackers: I definitely seem to go in streaks.

Some things I do that help (some of the time):

I write down everything I eat-it helps me see what I'm putting in my mouth.

I just don't buy stuff I know I'll binge on.

I eat lots of fiber-it helps fill me up.

I drink a lot of water-64 oz a day-then I can only eat so much (most days).

I go up to my room early so I'm not near the food.

Many people struggle with stress eating-be gentle with yourself. Hugs.

M

ML

I'm with you sister. I agree with WO that you must be gentle with yourself. Tomorrow is another day, another chance to do better. Big hugs xoxo ML

Jannie,

I'm also a "stress eater." I really like Wiped Out's tips. I also try to brush my teeth and floss when I know I'm headed for disaster...

Sometimes though - Like you, I just end up eating even though I know I shouldn't be...

Don't be too hard on yourself. Emotional eating is something that takes lots of hard work and determination to control. Like Wiped Out, I can go for long periods of time without doing it, and then, I cave in...

Just keep telling yourself how much better you'll feel and how much healthier you'll be if you can break this habit. I know, it's really tough to do - Hang in there!!! Don't give up!!! If you blow it one day, just dust yourself off, forgive yourself, and start over again.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!! Just the fact that you're aware of your emotional eating is a great start!!! WFEN

LittleDudesMom

Jannie,

I totally understand! That's something that I discovered about myself that I never thought was true. I eat when I'm happy, sad, stressed, you name it.

I have to say that the last three weeks have been fairly easy because I've just resolved that this is the molment in time. I am challenged by finding good food and healthy recipes and it's like a contest!

When I have felt those urges to eat, I grab a glass of water, or a stick of gum, or a tootsie roll pop. I also grab a book and try to take my mind off the kitchen. If I really feel a craving for something, I have it but know that I'll have to make it up one way or the other. Writing down everything that goes in has really helped. I find myself getting to the end of the day and having WW points left. Writing it down really makes you think about what you are putting in.

Sharon (WO) gave some great tips!

Sharon

Fran

Former desparate mom
jannie,
I got this from the Sparkpeople site and sent to someone who is struggling with something besides weight. I think it works in every aspect of our lives. Maybe this will help us change.

Use Smart Goal-Setting Techniques

What is the most important factor of success and achievement? IQ, self-confidence, perseverance?

Actually, that's a trick question. According to intelligence studies, the answer would be none of the above. In fact, the tendency to set goals is the #1 predictor of success.

Start with a Long-Term Goal. Picture the effect it will have, how your life will be different, what you would be able to do differently. Think of the strategy you'll use and who can help you. This is your blueprint. Before you do anything else, write that goal down. Memory studies indicate that the brain forgets 80% of detail within 24 hours and 99% within two weeks. Writing it down keeps the goal fresh and clear in your mind.

Next, create a timeline. This begins with a target date, which you've probably already set. Now you have Point A and Point B; what are the steps along the way that'll take you from one to the other? Think of a series of Medium-Term Milestones you can use to keep momentum high and the path straight. Maybe set weekly or monthly goals to move closer to the ultimate prize. Milestones can also be achievements that have nothing to do with the scale. Maybe sign up for a walkathon that you wouldn't have been able to do last year.
Finally, plan out the Short-Term Actions that will get you to your first Milestones. These are your daily and weekly nutrition and fitness goals. This is how doing just a little bit every day can help you reach even your biggest goal. By doing these Actions, you stay on track and a permanent, healthier lifestyle is just a matter of time.

Overall, your health goals should be:

* Realistic: Start off with a goal that isn't too ambitious, so you can sooner experience the thrills of success. Build toward grander goals to keep your motivation high.
* Specific: Make sure it can be measured and tracked.
* Forgiving: Leave room for the "1 Step Back, 2 Steps Forward" principle to apply.
* Crystal Clear: Find a photo depicting or symbolizing what you want. The clearer the point of the whole thing is, the easier it is to stay focused.
* Valuable: Remind yourself why you want to succeed in the first place.
* Challenging: What do you wish for? This is the goal that will hold your attention the most. There's no reason our wishes can't become our goals.
* Rewarded: Every little bit of positive reinforcement helps.
* Backed Up: Prepare for the unknown with contingency plans before problems come up. Have options waiting that will help you stay consistent in the face of the unexpected.

jannie

trying to survive....
Thanks for all the excellent advice...I'm trying to make better choices, but not trying hard enough....I would never allow my kids to make a minimal effort...and yet I am...

I did, however pass on donuts today during a two hour meeting and refrained from buying sweets while at Starbucks (even though my two other friends indulged).

Jannie,

Passing on the donuts and sweets is a major accomplishment!!! With junk food all around us all of the time, healthy eating has to be learned. I think you need to give yourself more credit than you have. You ARE doing a GREAT job!!!. You managed to pass up junk food two times already and are posting here.

I think the article Fran found is full of great advice. I find that at first, it is much, much easier to set small goals rather than one large one. Maybe your very first goal can be to pass up junk food when out with friends and when at work. Bring healthy snacks to work with you. When out with friends, you can order something that won't sabotage your efforts to be healthy.

Post here often. Remember, "Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels." WFEN

Bugsy

Hey Jannie,

I find that sometimes I spend way too much time focused on the food, whether healthy or not.What has helped is planning ,even writing down, what I am going to do instead of food. Make a list of things to do when you are bored that make it difficult to eat, like: put a coat of polish on your nails
jump in a tub
call someone
put goopy face cream on for a facial

As for the food, when you feel you really can't resist or make a good choice maybe you can mix something together. I always mix fiber one cereal with things to make it a bigger portion but less fattening.

I lost 35 pounds since we met a couple of years ago. I find I must exercise, not just to keep the weight down but to deal with the STRESS. It is hard at the beginning but now it is a must. I know your walking buddy stopped but how about some walking in the house or some resistance bands to do with the tv on. I try to do silly things even when I have the microwave on (jumping jax for the 2 minutes or squats for the 30 seconds).

Most importantly know that you can do it and not to beat yourself up when you are off track.

Start by doing one thing today that will make you feel better, that you made a good choice and that you did it for you because you deserve to feel good, healthy and strong.

Bugsy's mom