Stupid question, I know

flutterby

Fly away!
I think I'm coming down with another kidney infection. A couple of weeks ago I was checked by my doctor for a possible Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) and there was...can't think of the word...that indicates infection. She felt we caught it early and gave me 3 days of Cipro.

I have so much pain in lower right, back side radiating into my groin. I have pain in my lower abdomen, I feel sick to my stomach (but no vomitting) and my fever is over 100.

None of that really means anything because I get that stuff a lot and I'm 3 months into this current fever.

However, when I get kidney infections they tend to become serious pretty fast.

Should I go to the ER tonight or wait until the doctor opens in the morning? I feel too bad to be able to make a decision by myself.

tiredmommy

When can someone drive you, tonight or tomorrow? I'm leaning toward tonight because I don't trust the radiating pain with nausea. How do you rate the pain on a scale from 1 to 10? Hopefully one of our nurse-members will check in and give some clear cut advice.

flutterby

Fly away!
No one can drive me either day, but the hospital is spitting distance away.

I'd say the pain is at an 8, but I think it's made worse by the fever and nausea.

Last time I went for a kidney infection it took 3 tries to get it diagnosed. Sigh...

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I'd almost go tonight.

The pain sounds concerning. I really wish they could find answers for you.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Heather go tonight and see if someone will drive you. Pain level 8 with nausea.....well, let's just say the car ride (however short) can send it up to about a 18 and can make you dizzy, faintish, ect. I know.....been there done that. Luckily that time I had husband drive me. hospital not even 5 mins away and I thought I'd gone straight to hades the moment the car started to move, not just the pain but all the other as well.

The nausea with the pain concerns me more than the pain alone. The fever isn't a good sign even if you've had it a while because you can run a low grade fever with a kidney infection that isn't causing noticeable symptoms especially if you're used to having such symptoms. Also been there done that and buy the time I went that time I was over my head in acute renal failure. (I went only because I started having bladder spasms and a killer headache)

I know.........I'm one to talk. lol But at least they can give you something for the pain and nausea.......and if they don't pick up on an infection tonight can culture it to see.

((hugs))

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Get the too a hospital NOW!!! In addition to the sx pointing to a kidney infection; the type of pain you are having points to a possible stone.

Get this seen to RIGHT AWAY!!

flutterby

Fly away!
That was the fastest ER trip EVER.

No wait, they took me right back. Did a urine dip and it showed blood but no...thing I can't think of that indicates infection. The doctor came in and asked me why I thought I have a kidney infection (same doctor last time who missed it) and I told him because I've had well over 20 and I know what they feel like.

He said he would give me pain medications - told him I have pain medications at home. He said, ok, well I'll give you antibiotics and a nausea medication - told him I have nausea medications at home. LOL So, then he asked what antibiotic has worked for me with these in the past.

So, they started me on Cipro and I have a script for the rest.

By the time I got home, the pain in the lower abdomen kicked up and I realized it's bladder spasms, so I took some pyridium. Another thing I have at home. Geez....

Lisa, you're right. Getting in the car and driving - especially since it's my right side - sent the pain through the roof. Fortunately, the hospital is no more than 2/10 of a mile away.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
That's good to hear. Hopefully you'll feel better by tomorrow night once the drugs start doing their job. Just be sure to get your rx filled tomorrow.

flutterby

Fly away!
I decided to eat because I haven't eaten all day except for some saltines (unsalted tops), and I had taken phenegran so I thought I would be ok.

Bad, bad idea. :sick:

When will I ever learn to follow my own advice?

Mattsmom277

So no to lupus, any chance of MS??? I ask because your bladder infections/kidney infections history, previous posts of symptoms you have mentioned, and bladder spasms? They are HUGE problems of mine. And let me tell you, i was told I was having anxiety attacks, faking, exagerating, out and out lying, etc. The concencus for a year at the end before I was diagnosed, was my stress was causing anxiety which lead to panic attacks which led to HYPERVENTILATING. So I was told to avoid HYPERVENTILATING and all would be fine.
i have NEVER hyperventilated in my life. And stress was at a lifetime low. My issues were beyond real. They landed me near death in the critical care unit, cost me to nearly lose hearing permenantly, damaged my muscles in my bladder and my stomache and esophagus and even my vision, to a degree that none will be the same ever again and are now prone to ongoing bouts/flares of symptoms related to them.
Despite all the no no no's, i insisted on further intervention. It was a poorly missed and easily identifiable diagnosis. it took finding a doctor invested in getting to the bottom of me and my issues to find it. It could have bitten them in the face previously. But it didn't ;).

I've wondered for a while if you have had repeat MRI's of head and spine, with and without contrast. And if they ever proposed a spinal tap if needed to test for obligonal bands in the absence of any pertinent MRI findings. SImply matching your symptoms after ruling out so much, it would be a given here in canada as the next step in diagnostics in pursuit of a answer.

I'm glad you have pyridium but I am sorry you have bladder spasms. they have literally had me on the floor being carried (couldn't walk from the pain) into the ER near to passing out. (((hugs)))

Star*

call 911........call 911
I'm glad you went to the ER and are getting medicine to get rid of the infection. I hope you feel well soon. No one should ever feel this bad, this long and have a doctor that calls himself a healer. :mad:

Hugs -

? Have you ever been tested for autoimune hepatitis? It's a relatively simple test but if someone isn't necessarily looking for it, it can be overlooked. Joint pain, fatigue, nausea, vomiting, fever, a lot of the symptoms you have described over the last year.

flutterby

Fly away!
I've had a blood transfusion, so one of the first things they checked for was hepatitis.

It's ok. It is what it is. We'll either figure it out or we won't. I'm not worried about it anymore.

flutterby

Fly away!
Mattsmom - I've an MRI of my brain and lumbar spine, both without contrast. I've seen 2 neurologists and neither of them mentioned MS. My mom is concerned about MS, but I've come to the point where I don't care. I'm not pushing for anymore testing at this time because it was making me angry and frustrated.

Eventually something will happen that can't be ignored...or it won't. And I'm ok with that. I'm just focusing on managing my symptoms and getting some semblance of normalcy back.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Heather, let me guess............They didn't even *think* to check you for a stone, right?? I'm thinking, especially with the lovely bladder spasms that have kicked in, that you can very well have a stone and are either trying to pass it.......or it's gotten hung up in the ureter. If the pain doesn't go away, get thee back that and make them do an IVP. Not a CAT scan. Did you know 1 CAT scan is equal to 5000 xrays?? I'll never have one again. ugh!

Hope you're feeling better soon.
Hugs