Such Lovely Weather NOT

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
This morning I ran Nichole and baby over to bfs house. (she needed to get her WIC) That was at around 9 am. By 9:30am there was an inch of snow on the ground.

easy child and I decided it was time to hit the store. (we weren't going to head out til this afternoon) She had groceries to buy, and I needed to get in supplies for mother in law. By the time we got to kroger at 10am there was almost 2 inches on the ground! Roads were horribly slick. easy child has 4 wheel drive which is why we took her Jeep. Cars were going off into the ditches all over the place. Roads aren't salted or plowed as the forecast called for freezing rain/then rain/then freezing rain/then snow.

We just made it back. Roads are worse. Now it's sleeting, everything is still icing over. Goody. We saw more cars in ditches on the way home, cars sliding all over the place. I'm sure they'll be plenty of accidents before the day is out.

husband is at work in Cincy. He has 4 wd too but I hope he's careful coming home. He's awesome driving in the snow/ice, it's other people I worry about. :rolleyes:

easy child and Travis don't work tonight. Yippie!!! But sister in law does. The airport has already booked hotel rooms for their employees and told them to count on having to stay over.

I know so many others have it MUCH worse than we do. I hope you're all tucked warm and cozy in your houses.

Our air temp is still 29 degrees. Sort of seems to throw out the forecast. Guess we'll just have to wait and see what we get.

:cold: :snowman:

nvts

Looks like a cookie baking day!

Want some great tips? SOFTEN YOUR BUTTER!!!

:rofl:

Hope all get "to" and "from" safely!

Beth

:cold:

Nancy

Sounds like you got it before us Lisa. We didn't get the ice but it's been snowing for a couple hours now.

Nancy

Lisa,

I'm glad you made it home safely!!! Try not to worry about your husband. As you said, he has 4 wd and is a great driver in this kind of weather. Besides, you can't control the weather... :cold: :blizzard: Try to find something to do to take your mind off this.

Sometimes it's nice to be snowed in. I agree with Beth. Put on some holiday music and bake some holiday cookies!!! (Now Beth, do I detect just a slight reference to TM's mishap the other day??? OK, I'm still:rofl:too!!! Sorry, TM.):gingerbread: I'm sure you can persuade some of your kids to help you!!!:forsanta: Maybe make some hot chocolate, spiced cider, or some tea too. How about watching a favorite holiday movie? :snowman: :sled: If you have some more decorating to do, now seems like a perfect time to do it. :santa:
Before you know it, you'll be enjoying the afternoon and husband will be home.:miseltoe:

Stay warm!!! And, if you want to send some of those baked goods this way, I'm sure I can help you make them disappear!!! WFEN

F

flutterbee

Lisa, I'm soooo excited about the weather. It's beautiful. They just can't make up their mind about what we're supposed to get. I say the more the merrier!

First it was 4-8 inches, then it was 6-10, then it was 4-8 again, now it's 5-9. We're only supposed to get 1-2 inches today and the rest after midnight, but we've already got about 3-4 and it's still a-comin' down hard.

We did end up getting my mom's car last night and I'm glad.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
It is snowing here in Iowa too. So that means it will keep moving east probably. I so like snow. It makes things look all pretty.

:snowman: :sled: If husband didn't have to go to work I would drag easy child over to the sledding hill and do a couple runs (ok made a slide and a slow walk up).

Hope everyone is safe.

Beth

tinamarie1

We started to drive all day today until we found snow we want it sooo bad! Isn't that crazy?? My kids have never seen true snow, just sleet mainly. I don't know what is wrong with me cause I am freezing like it is. Its a good thing we came to our senses and stayed around here today.

F

flutterbee

I told difficult child she should go out and build a snowman. She liked that idea until I told her that I would serenade her....

In the meadow we can build a snowman....

She didn't like that idea. :rofl:

:snowman:

We've changed over to sleet and freezing rain with the occasional, die-hard snowflake. It's supposed to change back over to all snow later tonight. We've got about 5 inches on the ground already. I'm guess-timating. Haven't taken my ruler out yet. :sled:

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
It's not doing anything here yet...I hear it will start later and then we get all sleety ice all day Sunday - oh yeah!

I will be up to ears in sugar and spice and everything nice. Yum, baking.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Well, baking wasn't much of an option. No baking supplies. We're dreadfully low on cash. (to the point that easy child bought the pet supplies we needed)

But since sleeping at night has been nearly impossible of late, on top of having to get up before 6 am to bring Travis home from work, I grabbed the chance for a "Long Winter's Nap" this afternoon lol.

I think it stopped for us right now. Supposed to be more freezing rain then snow later though. I think we have about 4 inches of slush on the ground. (can't really call it snow anymore)

I haven't looked at the forecast again. I sort of chucked it's opinion after we got the snow we weren't supposed to get this morning. :rofl:

skeeter

aw, common, Lisa - haven't you figured out yet that NO ONE knows what the heck happens around here as far as weather????

The "white death" started on this side of Cincy at about 9:00. NL's work let them out early, and he couldn't get ahold of his father (his weekend), so I had to go pick him up at 11:00am. It was a MESS out there, and there were idiots driving with NO lights on!!!

It's slushy junk now, but it's supposed to freeze over tonight.

F

flutterbee

I took my ruler out and we have 4 inches of snow. :frown: It needs to pick it up. We're pretty much all freezing rain right now. It's supposed to turn back to snow around midnight. They are no longer projecting accumulations. :rofl:

I talked to my step-dad in Columbus. He said he doesn't think they've had any snow yet, just rain. He said he felt the steps outside and they were just wet, no snow.

Star*

call 911........call 911
quote: I took my ruler out and we have 4 inches of snow.

wait till morning you'll need a yard stick!

OH and Daisy darling - (whispering with hand over mouth) thank NVTS for the baking suggestions - but use her recipes with caution - better yet get store bought.

WE (SC) HAVE RAIN.....glorious, wonderful overcast skies and 60 degrees.....

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Honestly, I have no clue how you guys can even LIKE cold weather, let alone look forward to more..

We had a low here of 46 today and I swear I could feel the blood starting to slush up in my veins. All day I have had sweatpants under my jeans, a sweatshirt and jacket, two pair of socks and I am still freezing my behind off. And not, its just not down to my age as the boys are wearing sweatshirts or flannels with their hoods up.

I live a 30 miles from Big Bear - in 40 years I was only there one time, and turned back around when I saw it was snowing.

I am headed out now to get some wood for the fireplace - at one time I thought it was amusing to have a fireplace in a house on the edge of the desert, like when are we ever going to use THAT.

Today, I am going to crank that puppy up full blast...

Marcie

Wiped Out

Staff member
Lisa,
Glad you're safe and that you got a nap-my favorite past-time! We weren't supposed to get snow today other than flurries but it snowed lightly all day. Very pretty but it was messy to drive in!

F

flutterbee

We aren't getting anything right now and the temp has risen above freezing so we've had about an inch of snow melt off. We had about 1/4 inch of freezing accumulation. However, the temp is supposed to drop and more snow tonight and tomorrow with a total accumulation of 6-10 inches. We're also supposed to have blizzard condition winds tomorrow - with gusts up to 50 mph. I hope we don't lose power from the winds.

Does anyone know...if we lose power, should I turn off the main water valve so the pipes don't freeze? I've never lost power for long during a snow storm. We always had underground electric, but here it's above ground.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Heather

Keep any faucets on the outside walls of your house (inside) trickling with water. That will keep the pipes from freezing. Pipes along the outside walls are the most vulnerable. If you have no way to heat the house at all, do it with all of them.

Can you tell I've been there done that? :slap: :rofl:

Oh, don't even mention the power going out! :faint: Sure I've got my gas stove, and my camp stove, propane coffee pot (see where my priorities are lmao), and lanterns but I don't wanna use them!!!

High winds are enough to knock out our power down here. IEP has been working on all the power lines for the last couple of months. I'm hoping they were preparing for this sort of weather. Cuz it usually takes FOREVER to get the power back once we've lost it.

goldenguru

Guess you sent it our way huh?

Our forecast is 8 - 12 inches with 30 MPH winds. We live out in the sticks. I think we'll be staying in today.

:sled:

I too love the snow. Must be the northerner in me. But there is something so incredibly cozy about being snug and warm in the house when its blizzarding outside.

Sure to be a white Christmas this year.

meowbunny

Well, we were in tornado warnings last night. Great fun to wake up to weather radio blaring and an occasional clap of thunder. Still windy this morning but not bad. Clouds can't make up their mind whether they want stick around or not. Actually look like they're traveling in circles (northeaster on one side of Floria, Olga after-effects on the other).

In the meantime, y'all enjoy your snow. I'm going to go help break the Guinness book of records for most kazoo players. How's that for a silly way to stand around in the wind and probable rain?

F

flutterbee

Well, this 'storm' has been such a disappointment. LOL I've never seen them change their minds so many times over the amount of accumulation we're supposed to get. When I went to bed last night it was back up to 6-10 inches. Now, the storm warning has been cancelled, we are expecting another 1-3 inches of snow and we have a wind advisory.