suggested replacement for Abilify for 82-yr-old with-major depressive disorder?

TerryJ2

Hi, my cousin's Abilify is not covered by ins and is $400. We're looking for a replacement. The fam prac dr wanted suggestions from the therapist, but the therapist left me a msg on my cell saying that she could not suggest anything because she didn't have a release form. (Say what? She could have left it on MY cell ph. I've got a release.) Cousin ran out of it today and nurse called twice, so I told her to order the smallest amt from the pharm for now. She ordered enough for 5 days.

I took the opportunity to ask difficult child's therapist since we were there today, and he asked if it was for bipolar, and first mentioned Lamictal. I said no bipolar that I was aware of, just major depression. He suggested Effexor or Zoloft.
They take weeks to get into your system, which means we have to get a scrip now and then wean her off the Abilify.

Any other ideas?

P.S. The patent on Abilify expires in April, 2015, when (dependable) generics will be available.

Thanks in advance.

Jena

hi

sorry to hear that. Yet i agree with-the zoloft thing. I just put easy child on it today and it doesnt' come with-any warnings like the other medications do for ppl that are older or elderly ppl and the dangers of ap's for them. which if you read there are alot.

zoloft seems safe, yet you know the deal i'm not a doctor.

good luck!!

TerryJ2

Thank you! I'm choosing two, and comparing them to the AARP Medicare add-on I bought for my cousin to see what's on the list. I'll have it figured out soon.
:)

Tahoma

I can't afford the steep co-pay, so I use a "Canadian pharmacy" mail order for my daughter (Abilify 30 mg $7 a pill, generic $1). The generic might be more of a reliability risk, but I've switched to it recently and she's noticed no difference.