Suicide attempt

comatheart

My son attempted suicide this morning. Tried to hang himself. The belt broke and we are sitting in the hospital now waiting on a mental health assessment. (Thank God the belt broke!)

This is a game changer. He needs help so badly!! The trigger? My husband found that he had dug through the trash cans outside and had stolen his weed pipe back that we confiscated last week. He took the pipe and grounded him an additional wk.

Of course my son is acting fine now and wants to go home. I sure hope they don't think I'm taking him home!! Please tell me the bloody & bruised neck is enough for them to see through his manipulation and lies. He is NOT fine!

Anyone been here done this before?

FlowerGarden

So sorry to hear about your difficult child. I would think they would have to keep him for a couple of days to make sure he is stable. I've never had my difficult child try to commit suicide but he did threaten it a few times. Each time he went to the hospital and was admitted. One time, he was very out of control. The Emergency Room evaluation came back that he could come home. I was afraid of him hurting one of us or himself. Even though they made me sign a paper that he was being released, I wrote on it that "I did not agree with them releasing him because I was afraid that he would hurt himself or someone else". One of the nurses told me that if he gave us problems again, to make sure we didn't bring him back there, that we should go to a hospital that is known for psychiatric help. So, less than 12 hours later, we were at a ER that had a big psychiatric unit and he was admitted for his aggression. Hugs to you and your difficult child. Keep us updated.

Kathy813

Staff member
Oh, comaheart, I am so sorry. You are right . . . that is a game changer. He needs immediate mental health care and a dual diagnosis program that specializes in both addiction and mental health.

My daughter had several suicide attempts although we always called them manipulative suicide attempts because they were done in front of us. On the last attempt (taking pills), she was admitted against her will and then transferred to a psychiatric hospital where she stayed for three days.

I would insist on talking with a psychiatrist and asking him to admit your son to a psychiatric facility for at least a few days until they can figure out what is going on. It may even be an automatic admission to a psychiatric facility.

But, if they release him from the ER, I would drive him straight to the nearest psychiatric hospital and tell them he had just attempted to kill himself and he has substance abuse issue. We did that when our daughter was still a minor and they did keep her for a few days.

{{{Hugs}}}

~Kathy

Nancy

I am so sorry. Yes this is indeed a deal breaker. He needs professional help and I hope the hospital gets that. If they are unable to handle it I hope they refer him somewhere that can. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Thank god the belt broke is right.

comatheart

Thank you everyone. He was admitted to the psychiatric. hospital. It's really eye opening to see just how delusional (? not sure that's the right word) he is. I mean, his poor neck is so badly cut up and bruised from the attempt. I can't even look at him without cringing and thinking WHAT IF... Yet he sits there and claims he's fine. He has zero thoughts of injuring himself anymore... can't really explain why he did in the first place. It's just bizarre and no one that questions him seems to understand how he could have gone so far and be so nonchalant about it now. (I'm hoping this proves to them how sick he really is)

His psychiatrist recommends we get the psychiatric hospital to help us find an inpatient substance abuse program to send him to when they are ready to discharge him. He needs to go straight there instead of home. I couldn't agree with her more... I cannot watch my difficult child 100% of the time and today proved that is what he needs right now. Fingers crossed the psychiatric hospital feels the same way and will agree.

My other 3 children have now seen way more in their short little lives than I even want to think about. I just hope they are not too traumatized by what they saw. :(

dstc_99

I am glad they admitted him. My daughter was doing essentially the same thing but since she told them she wasn't trying to kill herself just suffocate herself they sent her home. I had to force her into going to the therapist but a few months later she moved out and is no longer getting therapy.

I am glad they took this seriously and are treating it immediately.
:smile:

Kathy813

Staff member
His psychiatrist recommends we get the psychiatric hospital to help us find an inpatient substance abuse program to send him to when they are ready to discharge him. He needs to go straight there instead of home. I couldn't agree with her more...

Hooray!! That is exactly what needs to happen. I agree that your other children are being affected by your difficult child's problems. However, many of us have found that our younger children take the opposite path after watching what drugs and alcohol did to their siblings. My younger daughter is a total easy child.

~Kathy

BusynMember

I'm so glad he is now safe and so sorry for your hurting and frightened Mommy Heart that he did this. It brings real tears to my eyes as my daughter once put a butcher knife to her throat and I can relate only too much. I am so happy he may now be getting the help he needs.

Sending all my love and good vibes for your precious child and you.