suicide via emotional eating........

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
I have come to the conclusion I am ttrying to eat myself to death. I literally asked my Dentist if he'd consider shooting my mouth up with novacaine on a daily basis.

I am 100 pounds over weight now and every time I am stressed which latley is alot, I reach for coke and processed foods. I know it's bad for me, but I literally do not care. At 37 I feel like my life is over, yet I am very aware of the health complication that I am sure to face if I keep it up. Sorry I am rambling (again)

I am wondering if anyone here has conquered emotional eating, and if so....how????:whiteflag:

Jena

aw your life isnt' over!! I know when your in that pit it can seem so dark and gloomy, i've been there so i know what you mean.

it took so much work to get out of it, but you can. i would reach for cheesedoodles, diet coke, entenmann's cake were my favorites. it's something about filling up, that full feeling is almost calming.

it's giong to take work, yet head to the store and clear the fruit drawer out in the fridge and fill it with apples or whatever you like. chuck the junk, yet not all of it. i never chucked all of it lol.

rice cakes are an option also. their crunchy and did it for me was kinda like a crunchy cheese doodle yet not lol.

there's a book you should get from the library as soon as you can. it's called hold on gotta run into living room where it is........... it's called "simple abundance" by Sarah Ban Breathnach. her second book is called Moving On.

It's a good book, helped me a whole lot.

i hope it helps. made me see things differently.

oh, also water with lemon seemed to help curb my appetite as well.

sending you hugs..... sometimes things have to get worse before we get better. someone once told me if you didnt' experience hurt and pain and sadness we'd never know what happiness was.

M

ML

First of all starting loving yourself more, right where you are, overweight and all. I would consider going to a 12 step meeting like OA. We have to change our mindset. You need lots of support. We are here for you. My son manster has a tendancy to self medicate with food as well. Heck I do as well to a lesser extent. Right now I'm doing the weight watcher's point system. It's very easy and you can pretty much eat anything as long as you count the points. Take small steps. The book Jena mentioned is good, I highly recommend it as well. We love you! ML

N

Nomad

I agree...buy books about overweight and see if something resonates with you.

I think there is one from OA called Food for thought.

I like one called "Fit from Within." It was very helpful for me.

I would consider OA and WW. We all need support. There is no shame.

Try vitamins...Chromium Piccolinate, B50 tablet, a Multi and Fish Oil. These things have been helpful for me...although I don't always take the Chromium Picconlinate anymore (might go back to it though).

Vitamins alone wont do it...but its a little extra bonus.

Have you thyroid double checked...bu of course...that alone wont do it.

Honestly, ya need support.

If you are able...take a little walk several days a week. Slowly ramp it up. Perhaps 10 mins a day, 3 days a week. Then 15 mins a day four days a week, etc. Keeping adding to the routine...Honestly, I personally don't think you have to go overboard with this stuff. Exercise alone wont do it. It's part of the process...it's an important tool.

Food intake...more important. Think quantity and quality. Think...I'm worth it. Think baby steps. Please...get support. MANY MANY of us women have gotten support...and have found it to be well worth it.

You CAN do this!

First steps:
1. Dump all super duper sweet and tempting foods out of your home...especially regular coke. Alllow a small amount of Diet soda. Buy lots of water! Consider some diet tea!
2. Buy some books re: weight loss. Consider the ones mentioned here. I really love Fit from Within...awesome!
Go to www.amazon.com. While you are waiting for your books to come in...pick up a nice dieting magazine or two from the drug store.
3. Call OA or WW today or Monday!! Do NOT hesitate!!!!!
4. Attend one or both meetings (see number 3) Stick to one...go regularly!
5. You are half way there!

Wishing you well!

Last edited:

amazeofgrace

I cried when I had my thyroid checked and they said there was nothing wrong with it, how sad is that?

Last edited:

Wiped Out

Staff member
Oh Sweetie,
Gentle hugs to you. I second everyone's advice. Emotional eating is something many of us do. I haven't conquered it, but I have kept 50 of my 70 pounds off for 13 years. I often reach for food when sad, bored, etc...

One thing I try to do a lot is fill up on high fiber foods. Fiber One Bars are great so are the Fiber + from Kellogs (sp?). Fruit is another great source of fiber as are vegetables.

It's important to realize weight loss is a journey.

You deserve to take care of you. I agree with OA or WW. Group support can be so helpful.

Come here and post often, we are here for you! Hugs.

N

Nomad

I detect some of the stuff many of us emotional eaters do...and that is the contstant self admonishment. I tell ya...it's just not worth it.
Leave it behind. Dump that. Get rid of that and get rid of it fast. No one is perfect. Those who pretend to be are fooling no one.
Most, if not everyone, needs support in this. Don't kid yourself.
When you beat yourself up with your words and thoughts...it leads to crummy actions. Us "foodies" do this by eating too much...plain and simple. It starts with ending stopping the negative self talk. So, no sarcasm or negative self talk. Instead... say
to yourself..."today, I wish I ate less. I'm gonna do something different tomorrow. Let's see what one action I can do that should make things go smoother for me."
Maybe that is getting rid of the soda in the house. Maybe that is calling OA. Maybe you can do both. It's hard to say.
I know from experience, that speaking in a negative manner, doesn't work.
by the way, Sharon mentioned the Fiber One bars. They are yummy. I really like those new Fiber Plus ones (Kellogs???). However, I don't like keeping lots of sweets, even the "good" kind in the house. I just can't cope with too many of those things around. Perhaps I would buy one box of those...but that would be all the sweets I would have in the house for the week.
Instead, I like grapes and cherry tomatoes for "munchies." I would buy lots of those. Each one of us has our "tricks." It's fun to get ideas from folks...but in the end...we are all individuals.
Take a little time tomorrow to do some healthy shopping. Make some phone calls. Keep posting. I'm telling ya...some steps like these will make a big difference in due time. I think taking some action steps will pay off for you and you will be soooo happy in the end. The very very first step is to clean up thinking patterns that include negative self talk regarding eating (or anything else). Move forward...take action steps toward good health...you will NOT regret it. Wishing you well. (hugs).

Last edited:

amazeofgrace

Googling OA and WW's right now, as I am too afraid of difficult child I (17) to sleep right now anyways!

N

Nomad

This is great!
Find out what meetings will work out well or at least okay for you and be there!!!!
This has nothing to do with difficult child.
This is your thing...
go for it!
Awesome!
Great first step!!!! :D

KTMom91

Amaze...I'm an emotional eater as well. Switching medications to Effexor XR has finally helped me start to get a handle on it. It's slowly getting better. Being diagnosis'd with diabetes was a wake-up call for me, since it doesn't run in the family...it's just me being fat. Add in the gallbladder problems and I'm a mess.

The one change I've made is to cut out ice cream. I love ice cream. Fresno State has a full scale farm and makes ice cream for sale. I don't go down that street anymore because I'll hear that ice cream calling me. My only suggestion is to choose one thing to change and start there. Many hugs.

trinityroyal

AOG,
Sending many gentle hugs to you.

Emotional eating is SUCH a hard thing to change. When we turn to our favourite foods, it's like getting a hug from inside when you need a hug the most.

Food doesn't judge, or yell, or look at you cross-eyed. It provides comfort, and in many cases we associate it with love. When you're going through emotional upheaval, it's really hard to give all that up.

The key I've found is to look for other things that give you that same hug from inside. Things that work for me are:
- exercise. working out until my whole body feels like jelly and I can barely breathe or stand up
- listening to music. Not hurtin' songs that let me keep wallowing in my sadness, but songs that help me cry it out and feel better, or songs that make me feel happy, or ones that inspire me.
- sitting in a patch of sunlight. Shutting my eyes and feeling the warm sun on my face
- curling up under a blanket with a good book

These are just a few random ideas. I know it's hard when it seems like everything else in your life is going off the rails, but it's really important to find some time and space for you. Love yourself. Treat yourself to what you love. It doesn't have to be anything big. Maybe a manicure/pedicure. Just something for you alone that makes you feel better.

I think OA and WW are a great place to start. Lots of people who understand and have walked in your shoes, lots of support, and practical advice on what to do. (Golly. Sounds like I'm describing the CD board)

And don't forget that we're here cheering you on, propping you up when you need it, sending hugs and love and support.

Trinity

I'm getting here late as I haven't been around in a few days. I think the others have already given you excellent advice. I just want you to know I'm thinking of you too...

Hugs... WFEN

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
(((((hugs)))))

I used to be an emotional eater. (to the point of throwing up)

No diet or program has ever helped me. Maybe I'm to gfgish? Cuz I see other people eating what they want and it peeves me off.

So....well, I had to do something. I was making myself sick eating like that. And you wouldn't believe the combinations I was coming up with either.........

Sounds stupid, but walking and housework saved me from this. When I wanted to eat and it wasn't mealtime I'd either get up and do something that needed to be done around the house (gramma called it busy work) or if there was nothing that needed to be done I'd go for a long fast walk.

I dunno about other people.......but I can pig out on "healthy" foods just as easily as junk food with the same results. So finding a way to destract myself from stuffing my mouth helped.

Eventually, I was able to stop the habit. But I still have to watch out during times of intense stress so I don't slide back in to old behavior.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm still overweight. But now it's from not eating the way I should and getting enough exercise due to school hours and my crazy schedule. I'm grabbing "easy" stuff instead of good stuff......and since I'm not moving much it's adding up fast.

M

ML

DL that makes sense. You distracted yourself till the urge went away. Walking is especially smart in that you not only get exercise but it's a huge de-stressor. And housework, heck if I did this my house would always be clean :) ML

busywend

AofG - what emotions are you having that cause you to overeat?

I have the same problem. Mine is fear. Fear of just about anything. Fear makes me eat. When I am unsure about something I eat. It feels like stress or anxiety, but the root is fear.
You have to understand the emotions before you can tackle the reaction you have to them.

N

Nomad

I think if a person is overeating on a small scale and it is NOT interfering with their health or their life, I DON'T really see where it is an issue. If they are doing well in other areas of their life especially, certainly not an issue at all. However, if they feel bad about the way they look or their health has been negatively influenced, then I think it would be really a much better thing to take some actions to get the situation under control. Sadly, many of us are under the mistaken notion that we should all do well at all things. It just simply isn't so. We all need help with things...a variety of things. There is no shame. Perhaps it is more shameful to recognize that one has a problem that is causing a health issue and refuse to acknowledge it and to make a real effort to make a correction. Even if you mess up 10x, it is honorable, to respect your body by doing the right thing. The 11x time might be the charm.

(((HUGS)))) It is really hard to lose weight. Especially when you don't see results right away, it's easy to say , "Forget it." I go to the gym every morning at 4 15 am, there is this man there also walking on the treadmill. He's there for an hour, I never say one word to him, (or anyone there). Anyway, this man is so big, he's at least 400lbs. Well Friday morning he was wearing some new clothes, and now he's like 300lbs- Even though I never speak to him - I'm so proud of this guy. The point I'm making is, you get yourself a good groove going- once you get past the initial phase, it'll be easier- whether it's through diet or excercise- and just keep at it. You'll get so much self-esteem going, that you'll love what your doing, the results, and that will make you want to keep at it. You can do anything. Take it one day at a time. Maybe, every 5 pounds off, you give yourself a reward, as an incentive. You can do it. Can you join a gym?-Alyssa

TerryJ2

Amazed,
first of all, hugs.:)

Second, I think most people have comfort foods, regardless whether they are overweight.

One trick I do, is that if I buy junk food like M&Ms, I only buy one small pkg at a time. Or, if I buy a lge pkg, I divide it in tiny snack ZipLock bags and make sure I only eat one snack bag.

I don't think novocaine will work! You're only miserable for a short time, and it won't change your thinking patterns.

I only have eating issues for short times--I'll go on a binge for a wk and then get sick of whatever it is for a yr ... but I have a friend I can tell you about.

I have been walking with-him for almost a yr now. He is easily 100 lbs overwt., maybe 200 (It's hard to tell because he's tall, too.) He gained wt when he changed careers and started writing full time (lots of seat of the pants work, typing), and then he ruined his knee (I think he was cutting the grass). I don't know if you've ever been into sports, but he was in the army--a paratrooper--and a runner, and he wanted to get back to that, so that's part of his incentive. Also, he's so uncomfortable ... he says it's hard to breathe. He described it the other day and I said, "That's just like being pregnant!"

He gives up soda pop ... and then goes back to it. :( I think he's given it up a half dozen times since I've known him. I have tried to get him to drink tea if he wants caffeine but he insists he hates it (never mind the umpteen different flavors). He loves milk and ice cream. :( Don't we all!

He has lost a lot of wt but still has a long way to go. It can be very discouraging. I try not to say anything unless it's a question or a compliment because he'll shut me out. I'm his walking partner and he needs that support.

Ironically, he is up to about 9 miles a day (5 miles, a break, then 4 miles) and I can't seem to make it past 3 miles b4 my legs give out.

Someone here suggested Xanax. I think that's a good idea. I would try that, along with-a therapist for a while, and find a supportive friend with whom you can walk and talk and do whatever it is you like to do.

Alyssa, 4:30 a.m.? LOL. No wonder your nickname here is Upallnight!