sun & sleeplessness?

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
You guys run about 10-15 degrees cooler than us... lucky! But it is still running hot there. And yes when I moved here my sleep became worse.
I do not sleep well as it is.
But I went through 4 different mixtures of sleep medications.

So now i have the right medication. but I NEED a sleep medication. And I think you may not need one forever.

Otherwise I do the tea, sound machine,(I picked up a cheap one a bath and body works)dark and cool room.
Other wise I am awake at 3:00-3:30 every night!!!
But sometimes I also have the problem of not falling asleep.

The problem here also is you have to enjoy the evenings because of the dry hot air.
If you have the capability of swimming I would do that. It is a really nice late afternoon after work relaxer.

Light meals in the dry-summer time. Tryptophan. I take this in the evening also.

K does the same thing and she sleeps pretty well most nights. SHe does not take a sleep medication only the Tryptophan.

We also have home made lavender pillows under our pillows. Just little ones.

Give it some time also, it took me a few months to settle in. You may need the ambien for a few months and then wean off of it after a bit.

Even a therapy ball in front of the TV and do situps and crunches, pushups, hamstring curls,quad curls etc. while watching TV. Wear you out!

Water, water, water!

You know what is funny, now that I have lived here for almost a year, I sleep better than i did in Idaho. I think because I am happier. I truly love it here.

Despite it being 100 or close to 100 for the past 3 weeks!!!

DammitJanet

Because I am so sensitive to sun...and sometimes Tony works nights...I made my room dark. I put double hefty trash bags over my windows in my bedroom. I just thumb tacked them to the wall over the windows. Then I got some dark cheap plastic lined table cloths at the dollar stores. I cut them to fit over the windows too and tacked them up. Then I have the normal white blinds. My room is dark! You cannot see that my lights are on in my room at night if you look at my house from outside. I see a tiny bit of light in my room in the morning coming in under my bathroom door because I havent blacked out the bathroom window.

Steely

Thanks for all of your replies. Sorry Abbey no deal;) I have already had an H. Two in fact. Bleck. However, the pups for the parrots? That might be deal making material.

Black out blinds seem so, well, isolative. I love the sun, and scenery, and to black it all out seems gross. But I guess if I did it the minute the sun went down it would be OK. I will try it.

To me it is amazing the power of our environment on our minds & as well as our bodies. Truly amazing.

Funny, even the dogs feel the altitude - they are all panting, and huffing and puffing when we take walks.

Toto.......you are so correct. AZ is amazing. I visited Matt in ID. this week, and although beautiful (and we saw 2 moose:D) - once I drove back into AZ I felt truly at home.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I close my blinds at night... I to love the sun and the scenery.
I think you will get used to it.
I even like the no time change better now!

Glad you had a nice visit.

DammitJanet

I just have my bedroom blacked out. I keep the rest of my house normal.

I think because of my bipolar I have to have a cave. It keeps me somewhat sane and my cycling somewhat less rapid to be able to have somewhere that is a consistent lighting. And I like the dark.