Super Mario Bros. Wii

witzend

I talked husband into renting it instead of buying it, and we tried it out last night. You can't set it up for a left hander, and being pretty limited on my right side, I was unable to use it. To use it with my left hand, I would have to push right for left, left for right, and up for down. Nope - not going to happen. I'm glad we saved our $$$. But, it looked fun! Oh, well.

Can't believe Nintendo totally missed this little tidbit.

tictoc

Do you have enough mobility on the right side to push the nunchuk joystick around? difficult child got the game for Xmas and I play it using the remote in one hand for jumping, etc., and the nunchuk in the other hand for moving around.

crazymama30

Oh Witz, I'm sorry. I have been playing that game quite a bit since Christmas. I never even thought about lefty's. I am glad you rented it first, that was a smart move.

witzend

tictoc, thanks for the advice. We're going to give that a try. We haven't gotten around to returning the rental, so I'm glad I checked back!

:)

Marguerite

Witz, feed back that info to the manufacturer. You're a very capable communicator, you should be able to express the problem succinctly.

If you describe your concerns and give them an effective review, at the very least they could take these issues into consideration in future programming. And who knows?

When you explain the problem, be detailed. They may give you some game suggestions that could be good options for you.

I just showed this post to difficult child 3, he said that no matter how complicated the controls, if it uses buttons only there shouldn't be any problems for left-hander only compared to right hander only, if it's simply a matter of lefthand/right hand dominance. But if the game needs some sort of body movement then physical disability can become a problem because most games that require strenuous movement have a left hander/right hander settings (ie Wii Sports).

Was there any way you could hold the controls without having to hold the nunchuk backwards? The buttons should always be facing the TV on the nunchuck. Have another look before totally giving up on it, unless you already have ruled out this.

difficult child 3 also suggested you might be able to remove the nunchuk and play with the remote held sideways with the d-pad on the left. There may be an option to modify the orientation setting of the joystick for use in a different way.

I think it was very sensible to try the game before buying it.

Marg