suspension question

klmno

I don't think so. But, if there have been a number of suspensions for a kid- especially one on an IEP- it might be a signal that the sd is getting ready to take further measures- I'm not sure. I tend to be a little weary of the sd sometimes!

smallworld

I suspect every school handles this situation differently. Our SD is so large (138,000 students) that I am quite sure an in-school suspension is not cc'ed to the Superintendent of Schools. But in a smaller SD, perhaps this is the practice.

Are you suspicious that the cc to the Superintendent means your school is trying to document problems that might lead to a different placement for your difficult child?

Last edited:

house of cards

Kinda, we have a new principal and he tends to be rather authoritarian, this is Major's second inccident at the school this year. It may be that the principal is just very meticuous, we know him from outside of school and that is his personally and we just have this year to get through his school. I will make sure he knows that Major's p-doctor sees this behavior as a manifestation of his disability.

My problem is I tend to send my husband in to give these messages and getting him to get it right can be challenging...

nvts

In our school system there are two types of suspension. Principals suspension, which is usually (but no always) handled as an ISS and then there's a Superintendants Suspension, which can go upwards of 10 days. It's all done through the computer system so all suspensions get documented to the superintendant.

Beth

Ropefree

Banned
What I do is get in touch with EVERYBODY connected to my child at school. So cc the superintendent sounds very good to me...and follow up with a phone call...to EVERYONE.
The power that teachers do have (priciples, superintents ect) to act to support learning for the students is the set of tools you want to draw from and get lined up for teachers to respond to to keep the learning going for your child/teen.
And some folks are just law and order types and any behavor presents a risk to other learners is out.

house of cards

I'm feeling better about the cc, we do have a small district, just got our own high school in 1996 and it was a form letter so I decided it doesn't mean anything. We have had alot of turn over in administation the last 2 years and I guess the new people are bound to make changes.