sweet potato casserole

I am to make this for a potluck Sunday and the recipe calls for 2 29 oz. cans of sweet potatoes. I plan to use fresh. How many medium sized sweet potatoes would be equivalant to those in a 29 oz. can?

Also, the topping calls for corn flakes and pecans. I plan to use pecans but looking for an alternative for the corn flakes. Any ideas?

InsaneCdn

You were dictated to as to what the recipe had to be?
I'd simply go looking for a different recipe that uses fresh instead of canned...

InsaneCdn

As soon as you start substituting... you really have to know what you are doing. For me, it would be a guaranteed disaster. You're probably better off to track down the exact ingredients. (jmo of course)

DDD

Tell you the truth I would be hesitant to substitue anything from a distributed recipe. Even if the original recipe isn't any good, lol, it may be exactly what most people are looking forward to eating. People are funny about their food, lol.

I assume that the only way to substitute is to have your produce manager help you choose and weigh the potatoes and then help you estimate how many more you need to buy to compensate for the peel weight. Might be interesting. Good luck. DDD

muttmeister

Buy about 2 3/4 lb. of sweet potatoes. Peel them, cut them in pieces about the size of canned ones, boil them; then weigh what you've got if you have a kitchen scale and you'll be fine. Not sure about substituting for the cornflakes though.