Swimming in molasses

F

flutterbee

That's what it feels like. This flare is kicking my hiney. It got a little better, but this week is hitting hard again. All I want to do is sleep and when I'm not sleeping, I'm barely functional. No energy. I can't think. Everything is an effort.

My doctor doesn't know what to do about this part. We do prednisone for the inflammation, pain medications and ice for the pain...but she doesn't know what to do about the fatigue.

My house is a disaster, I'm supposed to be helping Wynter with school work and Wynter still isn't feeling well. Somehow, I'm going to have to get her to the doctor tomorrow.

susiestar

Roll With It
Have they ever tried a small amount of a tricyclic antidepressant? These are medications like elavil (amitryptyline) and doxepin. For fibro they are used in very small amounts to help with sleep and fatigue. Supposedly they help you get a different kind of sleep.

I took 1/4 of an elavil for a while. But it was too much. So we switched to doxepin liquid, and I titrated a very small amount into a glass of water and drank it. It helped for a while and either medication might be worth trying.

F

flutterbee

We tried nortriptyline (sp?), but I have to come off the lexapro to take it and it was a raging disaster. I sleep just fine...get into REM (which I didn't used to). I do wake up quite a bit because of pain, but I shift positions and go right back to sleep. It's just that during a flare, I can't get enough sleep and when I'm not sleeping I'm thinking about going back to bed and can't seem to do much of anything.

I was thinking maybe the narcolepsy medication provigil or a stimulant even. Probably a stimulant cause I can just take that on the days I'm having such overwhelming fatigue and not take it on the days I don't need it.

Any thoughts?

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I think a low-dose of one of the stimulants... maybe Focalin... would be worth trying. Either that or you'd better start slammin' espressos, babe.

F

flutterbee

Ugh. It looks like I probably won't be able to take a stimulant because of my heart and blood pressure. I forgot about that warning.

Provigil doesn't look too exciting either, but the side effect profile with my health issues looks better.

Has anyone had any luck with energy drinks that don't contain a ton of sugar? Anything. Something. Any ideas at all.

Jena

How about trying some herbal stuff to rev you up at bit, as opposed to the sugar's and stuff? Do you take any daily vitamins at all? Fish oil's great I have been taking it everyday now for two weeks, also b12's, the omega's.