Symptoms of Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) and Mood Disorder Tied

smallworld

Thought this article on new research out of NIMH linking symptoms of Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) and Mood Disorder related to a lot of our difficult children:

Autism Spectrum Disorder Scale Scores in Pediatric Mood and Anxiety Disorders.

NEW RESEARCH

Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry.
47(6):652-661, June 2008.
PINE, DANIEL S. M.D.; GUYER, AMANDA E. Ph.D.; GOLDWIN, MICHELLE B.A.; TOWBIN, KENNETH A. M.D.; LEIBENLUFT, ELLEN M.D.
Abstract:
Objective: To compare scores on autism spectrum disorder (Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)) symptom scales in healthy youths and youths with mood or anxiety disorders.

Method: A total of 352 youths were recruited (107 healthy participants, 88 with an anxiety disorder, 32 with major depressive disorder, 62 with bipolar disorder, and 63 with a mood disorder characterized by severe nonepisodic irritability). Participants received structured psychiatric interviews and parent ratings on at least one of three Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) symptom scales: Children's Communication Checklist, Social Communication Questionnaire, and Social Responsiveness Scale.

Results: Relative to healthy youths, youths with mood or anxiety disorders exhibited higher scores on each Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) symptom scale. Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) symptom scale scores also showed an association with impairment severity and attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Among patients with mood disorders but not those with anxiety disorders, consistent, statistically significant associations between diagnosis and Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) symptom scale scores remained even after controlling for potential confounders.

Conclusions: Patients with mood disorders exhibit higher scores on Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) symptom scales than healthy youths or youths with anxiety disorders. These data should alert clinicians to the importance of assessing Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) symptoms to identify social reciprocity and communication deficits as possible treatment targets in pediatric mood and anxiety disorders.

Copyright 2008 (C) American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry

crazymama30

great article smallworld, I have suspected this for a while but have not had time to research it. I think I have read that many mood disorderd kids also have some sensory issues, as far as you know is that true? I have seen it with difficult child, but he does have some definate Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) symptoms, however the current course of treatment is working for the time being (knock on wood) so I guess that labels don't bother me so much as long as my child is being treated.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I can see this in difficult child 2 and husband, for sure. And a sister in law. And...

Thanks for posting this :)

MyFriendKita

Thank you for posting this-it's very interesting. I've thought for a long time that my son has Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)-like symptoms; the only reason I never thought he was actually on the spectrum is that the behaviors didn't start until he was older, not when he was a baby/toddler.