Synthetic Cannabis

N

Nomad

Does anyone know anything about this?
It is now available over the counter and can get kids high.
Have your kids done this and what was your experience (s)?
Thoughts on whether or not it should be for sale?
Thank you

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
What I know is... It's supposedly called Spice, and it's perfectly legal, AND won't show up on a drug test.

But... Neither will cold medications. Honestly do not know much at all, but do need to learn...

...Amazing, when I was a teen cigarettes were the BIG THING...

N

Nomad

Actually, there is a specialized test now for this. It is a little expensive and I think many times when people have to take urine tests to see if they are clean, they are not tested for this. However, this is changing...some places are now testing for it at least periodically.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Sneaking suspicion if I could afford a *complete* tox screen, I'd find out things I don't want to know...

N

Nomad

I don't know your situation....do you go somewhere for testing or are you using an at home kit???
If you go somewhere...you might want to ask if they do the test and just do it one time if it is not toooooo expensive. No sense in doing much more than that....probably something than can be done only once in awhile. If money is an issue, other substances are likely more of a concern. But it would also be good to know if this in the mix.
I totally "get" it about it about having mixed feelings about wanting to know this stuff.

Last edited:
T

toughlovin

I don't know.... I know when my son was home he and a couple of friends would sit on the porch with a bong..... I would go out there because no way were they going to smoke pot on my porch! He would tell me it was just flavored tobacco and show me the packet. They would all look at me innocently and I felt suspicious but really had no idea so I didn't do anything. Then I heard about Spice (after he was gone) and I wondered if they were sitting there getting high right under my nose. Probably.

Drug testing is good to a point... but there is a lot that doesn't show up. Someone pointed out the cough medicines... and that is the way a lot of kids get high...taking a bunch of robitussen makes you hallucinate. My son was definitely doing that.

Nancy

When difficult child went to the funeral of a fellow rehabber who OD'd she met up with several other friends from rehab and they brought her synthetic pot in a small glass vial. It smells just like pot. I did some researching and there are bills in almost every state to make it illegal. Of course when I found it I got rid of it.

It's just another mind altering drug that us parents have to worry about.

"On 24 November 2010, the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency announced it would make five synthetic cannabinoids Schedule I drugs within a month using emergency powers.[3] Prior to the announcement, several US states had already made them illegal under state law."

It is illegal in many other countries.

Nancy