Take a whack at this computer issue(disc drive)

ctmom05

I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 with Windows Vista. When I put in a Netflix DVD it won't play. They play in my husband's indentical laptop and on our household DVD player. Unitl a month or so ago I had no trouble playing discs of all kinds!

"There is no disc in the disc drive or your disc drive does not support the format of the inserted disk" is the message I get when there is a disc in the drive. Data discs also don't work. Audio discs play without a problem.

What can I do to properly diagnose the problem and apply a fix?(without spending any money)

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
If it's a tower, you can open the case and check the connections within...just track where the connections are on the inside with where your DVD drive is located. Try again and if it still isn't working, then the drive is probably broken.

You can puchase a player that uses a USB port on the computer for under $100 at Staples - you can find them cheaper on line, but I wouldn't go too cheap or you may end up with junk.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Question... ALL discs, including CDs, or just a few? I have this problem intermittently, too - and we've determined it's just the luck of the draw. Some CDs/DVDs won't play at all in mine, fine elsewhere - or won't in husband's, fine in mine...

ctmom05

So far I know that the disc drive on my laptop is not bad, audio cd's will play.

The problem with DVD's is ongoing, not intermittent. NO dvd's will play. Purchasing a player to use with my computer is cost prohibitive. The Microsoft Fix-It tool sMedia in CD/DVD drive is not readable(TSST corp DVD+RW Tourette's Syndrome-L633B)d "Media in CD/DVD drive is not readable(TSST corp DVD+RW Tourette's Syndrome-L633B)" wit the fix status of "not fixed" .. .. .. which means I still can't watch DVD's.

<sigh>