Taking difficult child Shopping This Morning

B

Bunny

Is it terrible to say that I'm not looking forward to it? He's grown so much since the beginning of the school year that he's really outgrown almost everything that he has. I have to start buying him things in the mens department. I told him this morning that I think I have a general idea what size waist any new pants need to be, but I would like him to try on a pair so that when we find ones that fit nice and are comfortable for him we can get him a couple of pairs. "No," he says. "I don't try things on. If they don't fit you'll just have to take them back."

Really, I love the idea that I'm his slave. easy child is receiving communion this Saturday and I have a laundry list that is three pages long of things I need to do to get ready for this party. I do not have time to be running back and forth to the store to return the things that he won't try on while we're already there and I am devoting the time to him and him alone.

Okay. Rant over. You can all go back to your regularly scheduled knitting.

pasajes4

I can relate. Shopping for clothing with my difficult child is a nightmare. He hates to try on clothes and will pick out things that would not look good on a dog. He then puts up a fit when he gets them wears them and kids at school make fun of him "See I told u everyone is alwaysw making fun of me." I now just buy the clothes myself.

Geesh we can't win for losing.

LittleDudesMom

I feel your frustration! I remember when my difficult child went from me picking out and buying and then him having a say to now him having to try stuff on......natural progression! He hates it too but I don't give him a choice. If he wants to whine and complain, no new stuff -- and my difficult child is a boy who likes getting new clothes so he complies -- but he hates the dressing room boogie.

Good luck today, I hope he's in a cooperative mood!

Sharon

T

TeDo

difficult child 1 pulled that type of thing the last time we were shopping. I knew the style of jeans he liked but no idea what size. He wouldn't try any on so we left AFTER I told him that he'd better not complain because HE was the one that chose not to get any. I didn't buy him any! He had to continue wearing jeans he could barely button. And when he complained.....I reminded him of what I'd said in the store. Maybe you let him wear what he has. He's not a baby anymore. This is one instance where I'd literally tell him that I am not buying ANYTHING I'm not positive will fit and I am not willing to spend MY money on gas to return clothes HE refused to try on....take it or leave it. I am buying the clothes so we do it my way or not at all. It is HIS choice, not mine. When he gets "stuck" like that, I do a lot of the broken record routine.... "It was YOUR choice not to make sure they would fit".......over and over EVERY time he complained. It usually works and if he does try to argue with my statement, I simply repeat the exact same sentence again and he finally gives up.