Taking medications

Jere

Hello all! I just started my 7 year old on Aderall XR 5mg. I need advice on getting him to take the pill. I have split it open and sprinked it on yogort. Its been hard for him cause he is not used to it. Can I put it in milk? I didn't ask the doctor because I didn't think it would be this hard to get him to take it. I do know that it seems like it is working. His meltdowns are less dramitic. He has cried but not destoried the room like he would normally. The true test is when school starts back up.

Thanks!

Peaceful

Hi. You can put it in milk. Is he not eating the yogurt? It would probably be more palatable in yogurt I would think. You can mix it with just about anything that's not stimulating or has caffeine. Maybe ice cream?

Peaceful

smallworld

For capsules (NOT Adderall specifically), we've used everything from applesauce to chocolate pudding to ice cream. If you're not sure whether Adderall can go in certain drinks or foods, you might want to check in with your pharmacist, who has access to this type of information. You can also try googling it to see what you find out.

DDD

I've never had a problem getting any of the kids to take pills or capsules. It's been many many years since that medication was tried
with the boys. IF it is a time release, however, you are not to
sprinkle it or split it. It needs to stay in the capsule to time
release appropriately. I may be wrong but I "think" XR is a time
release medication.

Sometimes capsules feel like they are sticking to the roof of the mouth so maybe it needs to be taken with alot of fluid so
it slips down the hatch. by the way, if you see an improvement already
that is great. The stimulant medications are so fast in, fast out that
it's pretty obvious when they are appropriate. Good luck. DDD

gcvmom

Here we go again!
If I remember right, something about the milk products slightly interferes with absorption, and things that are more acidic (like fruit juices) actually cause more of the medication to be absorbed.... but don't quote me here. I'm just having a flashback to something I read years ago. Maybe google it and see what comes up -- and definitely ask the pharmacist!

We used applesauce to sprinkle the little beads on. Worked great, but had to remind difficult child not to crunch the little balls! They have a time-release coating on them and if you break it, it changes the absorption rate.

Eventually, we used applesauce to get difficult child's to swallow tablets and capsules. It was textured enough to mask the solid nature of the pill, but liquid enough to swallow in one gulp.

You could try practicing with M&M's, too.

Peaceful

I just looked in my Drug Information Handbook for Perioperative Nursing (I work in the OR) and you can sprinkle it on applesause but all the contents must be taken without chewing. It says you cannot take it with alcohol, caffeine and other stimulants per the book. Anything else is fine.

The package should have come with a drug insert too which will tell you the same info. If you don't have it, it's available online.

Peaceful

Sara PA

From the prescribing information:

ADDERALL XR
capsules may be taken whole, or the capsule may be opened and the entire contents sprinkled on applesauce. If the patient is using the sprinkle administration method, the sprinkled applesauce should be consumed immediately; it should not be stored. Patients should take the applesauce with sprinkled beads in its entirety without chewing. The dose of a single capsule should not be divided. The contents of the entire capsule
should be taken, and patients should not take anything less than one capsule per day

Nothing about alcohol or caffeine. But nothing about anything but applesauce, either.

susiestar

Roll With It
We have had excellent results with a small spoonful of chocolate syrup. Sprinkle on the medication, stir with a toothpick, and down it goes. Very little, if any, fussing.

Good Luck!

Susie

Peaceful

The chocolate syrup sounds fantastic! Good idea!

Here's a link to the full prescribing info for the medication from the manufacturer which includes everything about milk for stomach upset, no caffiene, no alcohol, no other stimulants, taking it by 12:00 noon and all kinds of other things. This is what we use in the medical field when prescribing or administering medications and may be kinda hard to plod through but you should be fine.

http://pi.shirecontent.com/PI/PDFs/Vyvanse_USA_ENG.pdf

Peaceful

DDD

Glad I'm wrong about the capsule. I do know that at least two of the time released capsules could not be opened as they were encapsulated by a multi melting material. Phew/Whew! This will
make it easier for you both. DDD

Jere

I have been puting it in yogort and he is still kind of weary about it asking of the beads are in there. I say yes but he will take it, he just makes it look painful. I like the chocolate surup idea, I might try that tomorrow if he is up to the idea. Thanks for all the great info! Tomorrw he starts school back up and the true test starts. We are on this dose for at least 2 weeks. I do hope it is all we will need but I am prepared to take it to 10 mg if needed. Our appointment with the doctor again is on the 15th so I guess then he will tell us if we need to go up. thanks again!

susiestar

Roll With It
I have one child allergic to artificial sweeteners in a big way. This means that ALL chewable medications are out, and ALL prescription medications (esp antibiotics) are also NOT something he could take. He had to learn to swallow pills at an early age.

We practiced with M&M's. I started when he was about 3 with mini M&M's. If he could swallow them then he got to eat the rest of the tube of M&M's or earned points toward a new book. After he mastered the mini ones, we worked with the big ones.

Now, at 8, he can swallow even really big tablets like supplements sometimes come in. We are lucky that it didn't trigger sensory issues, but it did work.

And he earned enough points to buy most of the Magic Treehouse books!!

Just an idea.

Susie