Taxi transporting BiPolar (BP)/Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified child to and from school: Concerns

jcox

The SPED director at Elijah's school called me a few minutes ago. He taked to me about Elijah's transportation, how in order to have him on the SPED van with a monitor they would need another van just for him. He asked me what I would think about Elijah riding a taxi to and from school everyday because that would really help them out. I told him I thought that would be okay. Then I began thinking I wonder if taxi drivers need to get SORI (Sex offender) and CORI checks? If not then I don't want my son on a taxi alone with a stranger. What would you all think about that? I would be nervous even if Elijah did not have any special needs, but he does so that makes me more nervous.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Your concerns are absolutely valid. I would NOT want my child on a regular taxi by himself without another "qualified" adult supervisor. Period. And absolutely NO WAY for a difficult child (especially with issues like yours) to be alone in a cab.

I think you should call the school back and tell them you've changed your mind. They need to come up with a better and SAFER plan for E.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
I agree, no way on the taxi. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the cab company had an issue with this as well.

mstang67chic

Going Green
That would be a big NO from me too. If they don't consider it safe for him to be in a school van by himself, what makes it better being in a taxi with a stranger and one who probably has no idea how to deal with a difficult child? Is the school going to guarentee that the driver won't just dump him off somewhere out of frustration or, God forbid, that the driver won't hit difficult child? I doubt they will. It may have very well been a brainstorming idea on their part but it wasn't too well thought out. They need to come up with something better.

jcox

The SPED director called back and said he could not find a taxi company anyways. We live in a small town in the middle of nowhere with the closest small cities 30 minutes away. We used to have a taxi company in the next town over, but they closed I guess. He said he will call me tomorrow with another proposal. I think he should have had this all figured out a while ago, but atleast we still have 6 days left before the first day of school on the 26th. Talk about procrastination!!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Many years ago husband drove cab part time in both Milwaukee and Chicago. Even back then they were not allowed to transport unnacompanied minors. Kids under eighteen had to have a parent or guardian with them.

It was a liability issue. I should think that with today's increased focus on liability, that cab cos would not transport kids, especially special needs kids.

The liability issues are just too great.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Interesting, we do have children that for one reason or another end up taking a cab in our district. Some are Special Education who are different programs different parts of the day. Some are homeless so they get to take a taxi back to where there home school was.

susiestar

Roll With It
I had to send thank you to school in a taxi a couple of times last year. On the rare days I could have taken him my old beater car did not start. Most of the time I simply hurt too much to drive safely.

Because of my disability our taxi co will take the kids to school or my parents. One driver only charges about half the time. We are happy to pay (there is a bus but we missed it a couple of times) and actually have prepaid for a certain amount of rides.

I would be very leary of sending a difficult child alone in a taxi, esp if there is any chance the kid will try to avoid school.

No matter what they would have to have those background checks to transport my child (our taxi service has these checks documented largely because their main clients are the elderly and the state demands it).

jcox

They don't want E in his own van because of funding. It all comes down to money like everything else seems to when it comes to my sons. I am awaiting a call from the SPED director with his next proposal.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Don't try to solve THEIR funding issue. It's not for you to worry about. They have to come up with an appropriate and SAFE solution by whatever means necessary. I hope they can do that SOON since school is right around the corner!

jcox

I heard back from the SPED director today. He is talked to the yellow regular bus company about E. He is going to see if his 1:1 aid will ride the bus with him to and from school. They will give him preferential seating up front. He asked me if he could park his car here, but it is not set in stone yet. He will talk to him Monday or Tuesday and get back to me. School starts Wednesday.

Marguerite

I hope this gets sorted out for him.

It's important to be careful about this. Even the official transporters can be a problem - a child I heard of was a non-verbal autistic, he was sexually abused by his bus driver. The mother finally worked out what was happening because whenever she and her son were driving past a certain place the boys would get very upset. Finally by careful questioning (he was able to indicate yes and no) she got the story, enough to have the bloke thrown off the route. But not enough to stand up in court, so the education system merely transferred the driver.

The boy is now much more verbal, but still not enough to take it to court.

I would always want supervision.

Marg