Teacher's Aide needs help fast

Martie

Hello,

I was asked by email to respond to this thread.

Everyone is making good comments but what I was "asked" to do is comment on the legality of using ISS "forever." I read all the responses and it appears that Teacher's Aide is in the UK. Therefore, anything anyone says about "rules," IEP,s etc. here does not apply.

Here is what I was going to say FYI of those of you in the U.S.:

New to IDEA 2004 is the absolutely right of a parent to refuse an evaluation and Special Education services. Along with this "right" comes normal discipline which means, a child such as this in the U.S. could be expelled--forever--as long as the SD holds a hearing.

IF on the other hand, the child has an IEP, as some of you suggested, "permanent" ISS would be a violation of both FAPE and LRE.

Good luck to you Teacher's Aide. I, too, would suggest "The Explosive Child" to understand how the world looks to this little boy, and to help you prioritize.

Best to you.

Martie

morningcuppa

Oh I assumed Teacher's aide was in the US. We do not usually refer to support staff as "Teacher's aides" here in the UK where I am. I posted some information too about the training in the UK so I hope I didn't confuse the issue.

susiestar

Roll With It
Martie, teacher's aide's 1st post has her location as TX. I hope she can get help, no matter what country she is in.

Hugs,

Susie

Martie

OK,

I thought I read Teacher's Aide posting that she was in the UK. Good thing I posted the FYI for everyone here.

I cannot believe that a U.S. school would KEEP a child with this type of behavior whose parents refused services but I CAN believe a U.S. school would use "permanent" ISS as a FAPE for such a child.

This is sad, but I do not think it is overly cynical.

Martie

susiestar

Roll With It
Martie,

What others may call cynical I call realistic. Thanks for clarifying the issues regarding the refusal of services. I know one child who's parents have refused them right down the line through school. It has been sad to watch.

Susie