Teachers - need a little help....

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by LittleDudesMom, Jun 5, 2013.

1. LittleDudesMom

LittleDudesMom Well-Known Member Staff Member

Well, parents can help too...

I messed up this year for the first time and did nothing for difficult child's teachers for teacher appreciation week. I always do a little something for the teachers at Christmas and TA week. I know the teachers appreciate the effort especially because high school teachers are often the most overlooked...

So, next week is the final week of school and I want to do a little something. difficult child made homemade haystacks for his teachers at Christmas so I was thinking about purchasing something rather than making food.

He has 8 teachers. Any suggestions on a "little something" to show my thanks? I've got company in town all weekend (starting Friday mid-day) so I'm not going to have any time this weekend to make anything. It really needs to be something little I can purchase.

Would love some feedback.

2. tiredmommy

tiredmommy Site Moderator

Duckie's teachers seemed to really appreciate the $10 gift cards to a local coffee shop.
  3. pasajes4

pasajes4 Well-Known Member

I am a teacher.........LOVE the coffee cards.
  4. SomewhereOutThere

SomewhereOutThere Well-Known Member

Thanks. I couldn't think of what to do for Jumper's most wonderful teachers either. Coffee cards sound GREAT.
  5. Signorina

Signorina Guest

Once my kids were out of "single teacher" classrooms, I did a food gift to the teachers lounge. A tray of bagels, a basket of muffins or quick breads, specialty coffee creamers, fruit tray etc. It was far more economical that even individual coffee cards - especially if there are 8 teachers. $80 would be an amazing tray but $40 or less buys a lovely tray of goodies. I think one year, I did it for around $20 .I always included a big card with my kids' picture and a "thank you for all that you do" note from "student name & family". It always received raves and it was nice because it was well appreciated by both current and past teachers and support staff. I always received multiple thank you emails and notes.
  6. InsaneCdn

InsaneCdn Well-Known Member

I tend to do a "grab bag" concept... take a cheap good-sized coffee mug, and stuff it full of teacher-stock: mini-pens, various sizes and shapes of post-it-notes or small shaped note pads, mini-highlighters, small erasers. They either use them, or give away to the kids... but most teachers buy that stuff out of their own pockets and don't mind being "restocked".
  7. 1905

1905 Well-Known Member

I was going to say that also. I love a Starbucks treat but never buy it unless I have a gift card. The teacher will love that, trust me.
  8. LittleDudesMom

LittleDudesMom Well-Known Member Staff Member

Signorina, if I did a goodie tray in the teacher's lounge, I would have to make sure I had enough for 85 (teachers, admin, guidance, support staff, custodial, kitchen workers, etc..........). As a PTA, we always do a special teacher appreciation luncheon for all - I wanted this to be more personal.

InsaneCdn, I actually did something like that a few years in a row when difficult child and easy child were younger. I bought a bunch of those little weekly pill boxes, took out the am/pm dividers, and filled each section with little "desk supplies" like paperclips, post-it, push pins, etc.

I will do the coffee cards with a little note. I was kinda thinking about Starbucks cards and, while I'm not a big gift card person, maybe with a little thank you note it will be more personal.

Thanks all!

9. Wiped Out

Wiped Out Well-Known Member Staff Member

The personal thank you notes are great! I love getting those more than anything!