Teens: Moody or Mentally Ill?

Andy

That is very interesting. I am sure there are parents out there that don't know that there is a mental illness going on but what about those parents who do recognize something and their docs are downplaying it?

We have heard on this board that some docs don't want to diagnose certain mental illnesses in younger children. It doesn't help a parent to know to take their child for help if the doctor is going to refuse the symptoms as serious.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Thanks for sharing this Heather. I really believe my easy child is very depressed right now. It's scary and unfamiliar territory for me. difficult child in some ways is easier because we've always been dealing with his illness.

maril

Thanks for sharing.

Personally, I can't dismiss my difficult children behavior as just normal teen behavior. At times, it is very extreme. So, on we go to the next step for further evaluation.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Heck, of late, I'm getting that "well, it's typical teen behavior". I sigh because with kt there's a lot more behind it. I'm the mom & I struggle with what's typical teen & what's mental illness.

Nancy423

do I have to be the mom?
makes me wonder if I was depressed in HS and college! probably was, and had a lot of trouble with PPD. So if professionals aren't willing to call it what it is, then how do these teens get help? when they finally try suicide??