Tell me about BAC program...

change

Hi,

Can anyone tell me more about what goes on in a BAC (Behavioral Adjustment Classroom)? Is this a good placement for my daughter? She's ADD/Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and acting out horribly after being traumatized in November by her brother. She's going to have an OHI label.

Thanks.

Sheila

School districts have different names for same services. Contact someone in your Special Education department and discuss it. Also, you'd want to personally on-site visit the program/classrooms to see if you think it's apprppriate for your child.

smallworld

One question you might have for the sped folks in your SD is whether the program is for externalizers (kids who act out) or internalizers (kids who shut down), and whether your daughter fits the profile for the program. Another question is what kind of dxes are served in the program, and again, whether your daughter fits in.

change

Thank you. Those are good things to check out and the reason I posted. (I just don't know what to ask since I teach regular ed and am ancillary.) I will definitely ask these things. She's acting out right now but has been withdrawn lots of times. Depends what's going on. I think she's moved on in her grieving proces to acting out right now. The Special Education teacher at her school is most concerend that she not be put in a program only for "thugs". I don't think this is the case. You have to have a Special Education label to be in this classroom. The purpose is also to mainstream back into the general ed classrooms.

Martie

You are on the right track in my opinion. The ratio of boys to girls in these classes is often difficult for girls AND there are programs that house "thugs" exclusively. This is "alternative" education at its worst.

LOOK at the program before the IEP meeting even though the team is SUPPOSED to write the IEP and then select a suitable placement.

Special education is a service not a place!!! but many SD still offer OSFA programs to "send kids to."

Best to you,

Martie