Tell me about back pain

Steely

Yes, I know, I am a physical disaster lately.

I woke up 4 days ago, in pain and unable to move my neck. Then the pain moved to my lower back. Now it has moved to both side of my lower back and around to the front pelvic area.

I have never, ever had back problems. I have always had a very strong back. And I have not done any heavy lifting, or any rigorous exercise. Could this just be some sort of virus of the muscles, or something? I don't get it. Why would I wake up one day and my back just hurt A LOT.

H

HaoZi

I'd almost wonder if there was nerve compression involved. Injury, degenerative disc disease, things like that?

keista

I once cleared my throat, and my back spasm-ed so bad I could not move for half an hour. After that my back was useless for about 3 days then started to finally get better. Took a week before I felt A.OK. Before that I never had any real problems other than minor lower back pain during/after pregnancy and when my weight changed (up OR down)

This story does have a freaky element. mother in law (who I had never met before and thought was dead until 2 months prior) was going into back surgery at that hour. At the time I joked saying it was sympathetic pain, but now am convinced she's really a witch and cast a spell on me on purpose. LOL

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Yes, sounds like nerve compression. Could be a bulging or slipped disc but the fact that it began in your neck and moved down your back to your sides and pelvic...sound more muscular. You know, you can pull muscles if they are weak and do a big stretch-not necessarily from lifting. on the other hand, it seems like a good idea to see your dr. Ice it for about 20, then do a Epsom salts bath, followed by ice. Take up to four advil/ibuprofen if you can handle it. You can take up to 8 a day. Feel better, I totally know what you're going through.

Mattsmom277

I've had my back go out many times over the years. The first time I was at peak health, this was pre MS and pre-aging. I literally went to sit on the toilet to pee, and ended up at the ER and couldn't walk, couldn't even get in and out of bed without agony and help for over a week. Muscles can do crazy things even when not an "obvious" activity being the precursor. Nerve issues as mentioned can be similarly hard to figure out the rhyme or reason to them acting up.

When it was really bad I'd end up on muscle relaxants and anti inflammatories along with something like Advil or Tylenol for the pain (not that it did a lot but on some level the pain reliever must have helped I"m sure). Even when it isn't so bad that I seek the mus. relaxants or anti-inflam. medications, there are things to help ease discomfort. For me a heating pad, sometimes alternating with ice depending on the root problem. Rubs such as A535 or icy hot can really help the muscles relax.

Hope you feel better soon. Back pain hoovers!

keista

Mattsmom reminded me f the best OTC for any type of muscle aches - MIDOL. It is in essence partly a muscle relaxer. I was turned onto it by a MALE coworker who swore by it when he was in construction. I did use it myself when the back went out and I did get relief. Also got husband using it because he'd always be pulling this or that muscle at work.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Not to get too personal- but are you having your period? A lot of times your muscles and joints will loosen up and swell, when you sleep a wrong turn can easily pinch something... I seem to always pinch a nerve in my neck when I am on mine.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Ok, not to sound like I'm poo pooing your pain or that I don't believe you, because I'm neither. I do believe you completely. Have you considered it may be the stress taking it's toll?

I don't know about you but when I'm under a LOT of stress, no matter what type, I've recently discovered I have this sort of subconscious thing where I tense my muscles. I discovered that little fact about myself during an extremely stressful time. It may sound strange but I actually do it with most of the muscles in my body to varying degrees. Then by the time I go to bed or wake up the next morning my muscles hurt soooo bad I'm like wth? I've held myself so rigid at times I've had muscle spasms from it.......not fun.

Just a suggestion, especially since you've not had anything that seems to have led up to it except a sh*tload of stress.

I started paying more attention to body position and how relaxed my muscles were ect.........and a long hot bath before bed helped so as long as I didn't let myself lay there and tense up again.

Steely

Not on my period, but it kinda feels like that? Only worse.
Hound, I actually do think it is stress. It is like my muscles are freaking out from being so tight. Then I walk Tesla and the minute she jumps for a lizard or bug that she sees, I can feel the muscles pull again.
I don't think it is disc related because it is not in my spine, but in the muscles in my back. Then again who knows. I will take more advil and maybe some midol and see if that helps. And take some hot baths.....
Otherwise I will see a Dr.
Sigh,

flutterby

Fly away!
There is a muscle - and I can't think of the name of it right now - that goes from the base of your skull, down your back, and around your sides, almost in a diamond shape. The only reason I know this is because I've had trouble with that muscle - when I put my head down toward my chest I can feel it pull all the way down my back and around my sides. Mine kicks up with other inflammation, but I also get it with stress.

Try ibuprofen and heat or ice, or both. Whichever works. I like ice better, but a lot of people like heat better.

flutterby

Fly away!
Oh...I'm a side sleeper, but when this is acting up I try to sleep on my back. Just make sure you have a pillow that supports your neck. That seems to help, too.

Star*

call 911........call 911
No, I will not tell you about back pain. You have enough pain. I will tell you about Buttercups, daisys, roses......but not about more pain.

Hugs
Star

Steely

Thank you star.....please elaborate:)

Flutter I believe that is the muscle I am dealing with. Sounds exactly like it. I will look it up on the internet.

flutterby

Fly away!
I looked it up and I think it's the trapezius muscle, but it doesn't look in the pictures the way my doctor "drew" it on my back.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I think you would get relief from seeing a chiro. I spoke with mine this morning and mentioned you symptoms and she said the same...asked if you were local. Um, no, haha. Anyway, if you can why not give a chiro a try?