Tell me why I shouldn't just give up.

Iamwipedouttoo

Well, new drama at my house. Daughter's therapist found a group therapy for our daughter to attend that addresses "regulating emotions" that she thinks will be really great for her.

The therapist talked to her about it. I talked to her about it. She doesn't want to go. Said she will not go. I can't make her. She's not doing it. That is the end of it.

I encouraged, I bribed, I supported, I praised...you name it. To try to get her to look at it as a positive thing.

Now she says she's not coming tonight (not that she won't but if they don't have school tomorrow she might now).

I feel like just giving up and giving in. I don't know how much longer I can stand this. Please someone, anyone, tell me why I should keep fighting. I don't know how much more fight I have in me. It seems so pointless.

tiredmommy

You won't give up because you love your daughter and hate what her gfgness does does to her (& your) life. That's not to say that you won't change how you interact and plan to help her, but you won't give up. {{{Hugs}}}

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Cause mom's don't do those types of things. Saying that, we change our reactions to our difficult children antics.

If difficult child refuses therapy then she needs to come up with a different viable idea. AND as mom you have the final word.

At difficult children age, it will be difficult for getting difficult child to follow through & even though the professionals want to help her, if she isn't invested enough in herself there may be little else you can do.

Our little wonders seem to have to hit "rock" bottom in many ways to accept the help & interventions being offered.

Sending you (((hugs))) & positive thoughts for patience & wisdom tonight.

TerryJ2

Just a thought ... when I get like this, I stay with a friend, take a trip out of town, something, anything to get back my equilibrium.
So sorry.
I know how you feel.

Iamwipedouttoo

thanks for the idea and support.

I am thinking about having a girls night here while difficult child will be over a friends' this weekend and hubby is out of town.

I am working really hard on establishing some boundaries with my difficult child and it has been helping. I don't deserve to be treated this way and I have two other kids and a husband to think about too.

It is so hard when you know they need the help and realize they are just not "there" yet. Still I am having a hard time accepting she is choosing the hard road for herself. I am having an even harder time with the difference between what is enabling her to continue down her path of self destruction vs. what is actually helping her.

Grrrr.