Tell us one unusual thing about yourself

trinityroyal

Oh yeah...I almost forgot one.

I have almost no bones in my baby toes on either foot.

I was born with both baby toes attached sideways (toenails pointing outward rather than up). It got to be VERY painful to wear shoes or even walk, so I had them corrected, which involved removing most of the bones and rotating them.

Now, if I'm barefoot and there's a high wind, my baby toes waggle around in the wind. it's a very strange feeling, but they don't hurt anymore!

F

flutterbee

When I was little, my grandmother used to tell me that for wedding presents she was going to give me a box of Saltine crackers and a loaf of Wonder bread. Think I like starchy food? ;)

My earliest version of Jingles Bells went like this: Kicky bo, Kicky bo, Kicky bo, HEY! And I can vividly remember singing it.

Devon was almost named Austin and Wynter was almost named Autumn.

Devon wasn't named Austin because then all three of his names (first, middle, last) would have been auto related. Now it's only his middle and last.

I knew my grandmother's phone number by the time I was 2 1/2.

People think my mom and I are sisters.

This is fun. At first I couldn't think of anything either. Everyone has something.

klmno

What was the name of the green doll (male) with the lop-sided head that had movable arms and legs? It was around when I was a little kid. Gumby or something. Anyway, I get a visual of a room full of those after reading this thread! LOL!

Star, that breaks my heart- especially after I just read that book. You are truly a survivor to the bone! (I've started on the book you recommended now- it is making me think, too. But I don't always get how to do what they suggest, but that's another topic.)

Anyway, I don't guess I'm too exciting. The only thing I can think of is that I seem to have done several things in spite of the fact that people close to me (usually family) said I would never be able to do. (Maybe that's why I did them- and maybe that's why I haven't given up on difficult child LOL.)

* When I was born, my legs were turned in the hip sockets and the dr's told my dad I needed surgery to break both my legs and re-set them or I might never walk normal. If it didn't work, I would never have normal legs. My dad told them "no". (I wore leg braces for 2 years and I'm not the most graceful walking person, but I walk normally)

* I was accepted into pre-medication at college when I was 16 yo as a B student - my mom let me try because she thought it would never happen. (That isn't all that impressive- I graduated as a Junior and my b-day falls late in the summer, so I was 17 yo when I started. Then, I got married and quit. :( )

* I joined the military when I filed for divorce- family memebers said I would never make it through boot camp, and if I did, I would never amount to anything afterwards. (I made it through boot camp and spent 4 years, 8 mos on active duty- it was peace time, I can't take credit for being in during a war.)

* When I got out of the military, I put myself through 5 years of college, with very little help from my Mom, and no help from any other family member. (I did get loans and grants, etc)

* I had a dog that I'd gotten in the military- he was my BABY! I took him to college with me and when he was 3 yo, he nearly died and was diagnosis'd with diabetes. The vet was the only person who suggested that I could still give that dog a normal life. The vet taught me how- I gave him urine tests each morning and 2 shots of insuline per day for seven years. (I miss him soooo much!!)

* No one thought I would be able to take care of my baby as a single parent and keep up my job, which I needed to support the baby. They thought I couldn't deliver him (I did have to have a c-section), then accused me of trying to starve him because I wanted to nurse him and my milk didn't come in right away. (My milk did come him and he did get his share of baby-fat. :) Needless to say- this is difficult child we're talking about here....and so far, he has always had clothes, been fed, and goes to bed EVERY night knowing that his mother loves him- even if one or both of us is upset or mad.)

Now, if I can just teach him how to overcome the odds and become a self-sufficient adult who obeys the law and can hold a job and be a good partner and father (if he conceives a child), then I will consider myself a success!!

klmno

OOps- almost forgot- I've had a few dreams about things before they happen- not often, we're talking about maybe four in my whole life, so maybe it is just coincidence. But it weirds me out!

Star*

call 911........call 911
When I was younger - I could honestly tell you

I see dead people.

I grew up next to a Catholic cemetery.

OK, I forgot some.

I can raise my left eyebrow alone.

I smile with only one side of my mouth (right)

I can bend all my fingers at the first knuckle.

I used to be able to flip my tongue upside down and whistle with my tongue and bottom lip, until I got my tongue pierced.

I can hock a loogie farther than most men I know.

I spent a month in Germany when I was 14, touring with a jazz band.

And I can sing. Very well. I am a tenor!

OpenWindow

Abbey - you mean that in a good way, right? :tongue:

We used to drive past a cemetery every day on the school bus when I was in junior high. What did I do every time, I mean EVERY time we drove past?

I pointed and said, "You know, that's a very popular place. People are just dying to go there."

Never got old. People even started chanting it with me.

F

flutterbee

I have never hocked a loogie. I don't even know how to get a loogie to hock. :rofl:

I didn't learn to swim until I was 8 years old. I was taking swimming lessons at the pool in the Beginner's class with 4 and 5 year olds. Some kid from school who was on the swim team came by and made fun of me. I also failed the class and had to take it again. That was the first time I failed anything and I was devastated. I cried for days.

Oh. And I like paperwork, too. Always have. When I was little I would play "office" and would make up forms to fill out.

klmno

I'm beginning to think we were all difficult child's. Hmmm.

Well, I'm not sure how I want to take that...:2speechless: HA! Maybe now we all know our answer to the big "WHY" question...LOL!

F

flutterbee

I've SEEN it done. I just have no idea how you get that gunk in a position to be able to hock it. And believe me, I tried. All I got is a bunch of spit.

Amazing what kinds of things we try to accomplish on purpose. :rofl:

OpenWindow

I believe I've only been able to hock a loogie when I've had a cold, and I am from the Midwest.

As a teen I used to do toe raises for hours while I read, watched TV or studied. I had the best calves this side of the Mississippi.

If I rub my right arm with my hand, I have to rub my left arm with my hand. If I pop a knuckle, I have to pop them all.

Abbey

Spork Queen
You know...there is always one place I can go for a good laugh.

You guys crack me up.

(I've never been able to do a hock it snot thing ever. There should be an award for it, or something...Goober Award.) Naw, then it will get on MTV and everyone will be doing it as it's the trendy thing to do.

Oh! I can shoot 10 feet!!!

(someone is in my corner. About 50, brunette...probably colored, furrowed brow and an angry look. Stop me before I continue.

I spent DAYS burrouing that corner!! How dare you!!)

Abbey

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
These are GREAT - and yes, I'm a little scared too!

I dance with our dogs and sing out loud at the top of my lungs when I don't think anyone is listening, but inevitably someone is and will tell me about it. And I have a decent voice, though I wouldn't be winning any American Idol contests.

I collect heart shaped rocks.

I collect and only buy soft blankets - lots and lots of them. I ran out of room for them I have so many but I can't stop and they make them soooo soft now!!

I have a serious interest in creating the perfect balance of cross ventilation in all the rooms of my home.

I am always cold between September and June - I wear long pants and t-shirts to bed, with a fleece robe and two pairs of socks and a heating pad and 3 blankets, one lining the bed between the sheets. My H thinks I'm weird.

I love to vacuum....the house, the furniture and even the pool. I vacuum often. I love walking across a floor barefoot and not having anything stick to my feet.

I must sleep with a dog (not counting H).

I drink LOTS of water.

I am always late.

I know 'things' before they happen...I can feel if there is a ghost in our home. I can feel their presence. Also, H and I can communicate without speaking at times...not so much in recent years, but I can see it's coming back again.

When I take a shower, I make everyone use the bathroom first because it's going to be a long while. I just like being in the bathroom...not even doing anything special. Just hanging out and maybe reading or fiddling with the tweezers or something.

I am double jointed and can bend my arms backwards as well as my fingers.

I can smile like a deer.:laugh:

F

flutterbee

Linda said:
If I rub my right arm with my hand, I have to rub my left arm with my hand. If I pop a knuckle, I have to pop them all.

So nice to know I'm not the only weirdo. :rofl: I don't do it so much now, but when I was younger everything had to be 'even'. If I did it with one, I had to do it with the other.

When I'm brushing my teeth, I get stuck on the bottom right side and have to forcefully stop myself and move the toothbrush. If I don't consciously think about it, I'll keep brushing and brushing and brushing and brushing.....

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
ummmm geez only one thing, LOL!

i can sing, not good enough to go on tour, but well enough to lead praise and worship. Guess that's not weird though. I like keibasi and cheese dipped in sour cream and onion dip, is that weird enough?>