Temple Grandin on at 8pm Eastern tonight

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I don't know if they changed the time but in PA the movie is on HBO at 8 tonight, not 9.

Check your listings!

Suz

Lothlorien

I think the tv guide had it wrong, Suz. It said 9pm, but it's on at 8. It's also on a few other times over the weekend, so if you didn't catch it at 8 pm, you will be able to see it other times.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Loth, my cable company also mentioned that it will available On Demand on Monday.

I thought Claire Danes did a remarkable job. What a triumphant story!

Suz

Lothlorien

I though Claire Danes did an Oscar-worthy performance and I would be really surprised if she wasn't nominated or won.

Fran

Former desparate mom
I cried my eyes out through most of the movie.
For every Temple there are thousands and thousands of adults who live wasted lives because
no one can figure out how to teach their brilliant minds how to assimilate. How to use their minds to be productive. How to make people not fear harmless eccentricity. How to make schools teach the different learner. How to make the work world take a chance.
It was gut wrenching for me personally but Temple's book "Emergence" then 10yrs later "Thinking In Pictures" were my bible. I met both her and her mom at conferences and have the mom's book also. The first book is what helped me climb into their brain and try to figure out how they think and how to teach my son. You can actually see the emotional growth from Book 1 and Book 2.
She is an amazing woman and her mother is an incredible warrior mom.

Lothlorien

Fran, I was thinking of you through most of the movie. I was also thinking of a few of my friends who have autistic children. I know they were watching the movie as well. There were a few key moments in the movie that brought me to tears.

I need to ask....I've always heard about Temple and her mother, but never about the father. The movie completely avoided the father also. So what happened? Where was he through their journey?

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the father left them, and the mother always "covered" that he was on vacation or working or othrerwise indisposed/

Fran

Former desparate mom
He is alluded to in the book by the mother as being a cold and inflexible. He wanted Temple institutionalized. The dad insisted the mom get therapy for being the cause of the problem. The doctor would give the father an update(if I recall correctly) because back in the day women were just too silly to be involved in serious conversations. In the end the doctor warned the mom of what the husbands plan was.
Mom is quite artistic.
Of course, the truth is somewhere in the middle. Who really knows.

TerryJ2

Great movie! I am so glad I watched it.
We don't get cable or HBO so I went to our cousins' house and watched it with-them. And they even served me champagne. :)
Great performance. I hope Claire wins an award.
I'm sort of glad to see that you cried, Fran. I was wondering why I was getting teary eyed. ;) I don't usually cry at movies.

TerryJ2

Well, Fran, it's easy to see that the parents were not on the same page, to say the least, which is so true with-so many parents of difficult-to-parent children. I am just so grateful that people like that went b4 us so that our road is not as difficult.
If someone told me I was a cold mother, I'd have his name b4 the board of medicine in a heartbeat. I love the line in the movie where the dr told the mom to bring in her husband and she said, "My husband is a very busy man and I have a degree from Harvard. Try me."

Fran

Former desparate mom
Terry, she was my hero. She didn't just accept and protect but she made Temple
follow the basic rules of society. She had to use table manners, please and thank you and just common courtesy. As you saw in the movie Temple is abrupt.
The whole doctor/refrigerator mom is not incorrect. We are talking late 40's early 50's. When I went to school in 73 it was still being taught. "Refrigerator mom's" was thought to be the cause of autism. It was the best they knew at the time. I'm never looking to blame someone for their clinical approach of difficult child but suggestions on how to help. This was standard practice.
In the 90's when my difficult child was diagnosed, despite knowing better, my first thought was "REFRIGERATOR MOM!" It's a knife to the heart but regardless you must push through. Who does it serve for me to feel guilt or anger? Certainly not difficult child.
I told them they could blame me if they wanted but to tell me how to fix it.
Of course, they knew and I knew it wasn't my parenting. There really wasn't any blame. Sometimes you get obstacles thrown into your life. It is a choice to overcome and move forward or stay wallowing in self pity.

The good thing about the movie for me is that it reconfirmed my commitment to do everything to help difficult child have as full a life as he wants and can handle. I have been getting more and more distant for lack of progress. So I am attending yet another support group this week. This is Parents of Adult Children in the Autistic Spectrum.

I didn't mean to hijack the thread. I hope the movie raises awareness and fosters acceptance of people who appear harmlessly different.

TerryJ2

I hope the movie raises awareness and fosters acceptance of people who appear harmlessly different.

Interesting way to put it. Thank you!
Good luck with-your support group. I'm glad you found one that is so specific.

My husband didn't want to watch the movie. When I got home, I told him it was fantastic, the star deserves an award, and it was very intense.
He said, "That's what I was worried about."
He's still recovering from "Adam" and now he's worried about our difficult child's dating life ... (he's only 13!!)

LittleDudesMom

I finally had the opportunity to watch this yesterday afternoon....what a wonderful film! I had drv'd it last week when I saw this post originally.

I was moved to tears many times.

If you want to go searching, NPR interviewed Temple a few weeks ago.

Sharon

TerryJ2

Interesting comments below the story, too.
Someone said they should canonize Temple as a saint, for her work with animals. I think it should also be for her work with-autistic people.
And just as much, if not more, I think her mother should be canonized.
It's like the story of Helen Keller--there would have been no breakthrough with-o Annie.