Temple Grandin speaking in Fresno on Sunday

KTMom91

I just finished reading "Thinking in Pictures," and would love to go. Trouble is, getting tickets online will cost me $45 for the "suggested donation." I have a call in to Easter Seals, asking for an alternative. There's no way we can afford that right now.

Keeping fingers crossed that something works out!

Fran

Former desparate mom
I hope you can hear her speak and read the sequel. It was as if someone threw me a life preserver.

LittleDudesMom

I saw the movie but have not read her books. I will add them to my reading list upon both of your recommendations.

If you happen to come across the latest Rolling Stone Magazine (cover is the cast of the show Glee) take a look at the article "Surfer Savant". A very interesting read about a young man, I think he's 20 now, who wasn't diagnosis'd with aspergers until he was 18.

Sharon

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I was in my early forties when diagnosed with both bipolar and Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). My mother was in her late sixties. My sisters two kids were in their late teens. Needless to say, the Autism Clinic at University of Chicago was thrilled to get their hands on three generations of Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) folks.

Nothing to be done for any of us--we've all gotten too good at playing normal, but it was nice to get the label as opposed to just being "more weird kids".

A

Anna1234

Temple is also speaking at Fresno State:

Grandin, who is autistic, will speak at 9 a.m. April 12 at the Satellite Student Union and sign her books in an event sponsored by the Fresno State Poultry Society and Young Cattlemen’s Association in the Jordan College of Agricultural Sciences and Technology.

Grandin is a professor of animal science at Colorado State University and has spoken around the world about autism and about cattle handling innovations. HBO produced, “Temple Grandin,” a full-length film of her life.
Admission is free for Fresno State students and faculty and $10 for general public. For more information, contact Michelle Ganci at 559.307.2563 or [email protected].

A

autismfresno

I just talked to the Easter Seals folks. There is NO FEE or donation required to attend the Temple Grandin event on Sunday. The donation is only if you want to help support more autism services in the valley and also would like free copies of Temple's books.

Attendance is FREE but you need to call instead of reserving online. Can call 831.684.2166 ext. 112.

Hope to see everyone there!

A

Anna1234

Did you see Temple Grandin? I saw her at the Easter Seals event. She was very articulate and entertaining. Definitely an inspiration. A friend of mine saw her at Fresno State. She said that she spoke more about animals. In this subject matter, she was also articulate and entertaining. I wonder what she is like to have as a professor?