Tenex is a bomb - now she wants Straterra

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
On a kid that at least 2 tdocs and 2 psychiatrists agree is some form of autism spectrum.

I can handle hyper. School is handling hyper. What we can't handle is the little bouts of aggression that rear their ugly heads sporadically.

Does anyone have any thoughts on Straterra with my wee guy?

smallworld

Ugh! Our psychiatrists have told us that Strattera is only about 40 percent effective for ADHD kids. Furthermore, I've heard more accounts than I care to count about Strattera making kids moody and mean. Honestly, I'm really wondering why the psychiatrist is suggesting it.

Risperdal treats aggression, but it can poop out after a while. How long has difficult child been on it and at what dose? Maybe a dose increase or a different AP? That makes more sense to me.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
He's at .5mg Risperdal in the am and 1mg in the afternoon. I'm told he can go up to 3mg/day.

He's been on it a year and a half or so now.

Could Risperdal possibly be used more on a prn basis? Or upped prn? We can certainly tell when if we miss his medications now. At least most of the time.

He just has bouts of aggression - its not routine or daily anymore. DevPed is wanting to curb the hyper - she thinks calming him down wil make him less aggressive and impulsive. Personally, I don't think so, cause the aggression and impulsivity come and go while the hyper stays constant...

And I've read so much about increased aggression in kids. And his psychiatrists and tdocs don't think he's adhd to begin with (yet devped is still the prescribing doctor at this point, I'm wondering if that shouldn't change...)

I just dunno. Wish I just had answers!

smallworld

Risperdal can be used PRN. Lots of parents on a BiPolar (BP) listserv I co-moderate use it that way. It might be something to try without having to introduce a new medication.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Ya know, on the note of differing docs, can I/should I chose to move forward with the one I feel has a better handle on him? I mean, devped has been good to us, but she can't explain why lack of attention problems are ok for an adhd diagnosis, but lack of social problems aren't ok for a Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) diagnosis...that sort of stuff.

He saw behavior therapist again today, and she emphasized again that she doesn't feel she is capable of providing all that he needs. She's darn sure trying, but just doesn't think we've got him all figured out yet.

smallworld

Shari, you should go with the prescribing physician who is the best psychopharmacologist. As you well know, they're not all created equal.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
psychopharmacologist. That would make me think the psychiatrist.

The old psychiatrist was actually teh prescribing physician until the winter from hades in late 06/early 07 and we couldn't get ahold of her and difficult child was bent on killing us all...that's when I asked dev pediatrician to take over medications...thinking.

BusynMember

For an autistic kid? I wouldn't do it. I've seen too many kids go ballistic on Straterra. I think interventions work the best for autistic kids. If absolutely necessary, many autistic kids take Risperdal for aggression with good results. ADHD medications don't always work well with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) kids. I would look for a psychiatrist who really really understands autism. It's not the same thing as other childhood disorders.

susiestar

Roll With It
I would follow your mommy instincts and go with the doctor you are most comfortable with. The one who seems to be responsive and well informed.

Risperdal can be quite successful as a prn, even when also given regularly.

What the devped did in the past is, well, in the past. While I do tend to be loyal, it can't get in the way of what is in the best interest of your child. Period.

Susie