tentention and research

Ktllc

Let me pick your brains a little.
My belief is that retention is a useless strategie. But I have not read enough research based studies to really have an informed opinion.
My logic is the following: a slow learner will stay a slow learner, a child with a disablity which prevents effective learning will stay a disabled child,etc.. Some kids will simply never be at the same level as their peers or slightly younger peers. There are some countries which do not practice retention and they have the best test scores (I'm thinking northern european countries such as Finnland, Sweden).
Now, I know the school will eventually want to retain V. I find it futile but would like to be able to present evidenced base research. I think I could google all year on the subject and still come up with new search result! lol
Any studies that serve as a reference in this area?

buddy

Research shows for special needs kids it is generally not effective. Better to keep them with peers. There are some situations like if they actually miss school due to illness or sometimes if close to age cut off, for very young learners, a year for social growth might be worth a shot, but Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) kids will always be Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) kids as you said. Our schools won't do retention for special needs. Rarely for anyone actually.

JJJ

Retention is a very individual decision. We retained both Eeyore and Piglet--over the school's objections. I would do it again.

For Piglet, it was the difference is always being two steps behind everyone else and being smack in the middle of the pack.

For Eeyore, it has helped due to his immaturity. He is still immature, but he is with kids two years younger so he didn't stand out until recently.

To retain a child simply because they did not master the academic material or pass a standardized test is not effective.

Evaluating an individual child and looking at WHY they did not succeed can allow parents and teachers to make an appropriate decision for a specific child.

Most studies show that retention needs to happen by age 7 to be beneficial. After that age, the social stigma becomes a problem.

Ktllc

We are now in the middle of testings through school. So hopefully we''ll have more answers as to why he is not learning as he should. My guess is the environment is less than perfect right now: mainstream with no help, just general accomodations (which I'm VERY thankful for and I know are followed).
By the time we have an IEP in place, the school year will be over... So next year will be quite important, because if he does not make a lot of progress, the school will talk about retention. Sure I have time to see it coming, but seems like the days, weeks and months are just flying by.

Last edited:
The school can make a recommendation one way or the other, but if your child is on an IEP, it's a team decision. Research indicates that retention doesn't solve problems in the long run...BUT, it's a personal decision. We may retain Kiddo this year in kindergarten to give him an extra year of language development and behavior supports before entering first grade, where he will have to sit for much longer periods of time. I think if the goal of retaining a child is to have them "catch up" academically, it's probably going to be disappointing.

Ktllc

I think if the goal of retaining a child is to have them "catch up" academically, it's probably going to be disappointing.

I think it is SO right.
And that is basically my thinking. V has no behavior issues, he is motivated, works hard and try hard. His FM system allows him to have good focus (per teacher's say) and so far he is well integrated and accepted in the class (although he easily misunderstand people). He is almost never abscent from school.
What would retention accomplish in his case? I fear the answer is : nothing.

05_08_10

baby gurl
can anyone help me I need to make a post and I don't know how I know how to reply but not how to make a post I have a serious question that I need to ask and I guess since this is Special Education 101 I guess I will just ask you guys hope its ok?:kickedoutsmile:. and hows heres my question My son is almost 5 years old we have done everything that we know but he gets mad really easy. I had him by C-section and I was taking medications for depression when got pregnant with him and I had a car reck when pregnant with him also had diebties due to being pregnate with him. I have never taken him to the dr for anything like this but I wanted to ask someone b4 I did so that I might get some ideal on what maybe going on with him. He was born a floppy baby and he was born real late. My water had broke but the doctors didn't believe me they give me shots to keep him inside and then they found out that after he was born there really was not fluid around him that my water did break when I said it did. So now that he is almost 5 and will be on the 3rd of april he has gone off on me, his dad, his grandpa, his little brother and one of my friends. The main people though has been just us and not my friend. All he flys in to us by hitting and screaming at us and he pulls his hair when mad and cries and picks up toys and hits us with them. Here lately he has been taking his toy cars and lineing them up in rolls. He can be happy having fun one minute but the minute you tell him that he needs to come in or that I am going to the store and he cant go then he flys mad. Was wondering if you could him me with this by telling me what this sounds like to you these are really the only signs I am seeing. Now my youngest son the one I was talking about is scared of really loud noises he dosent like to sleep by himself he dosent want to be alone he is scared when he is around allot of people he is not talking only saying 2 to 3 words he falls when he walks it dosent matter if its even ground or not he falls. It dosent even matter what shoes he is wearing This baby also chokes easy and is diebetic he is also a floppy child born that way complications I had he was c-sectioned so was the other one. I was taking shots for him not to come early but he did at 36 weeks he was on a feeding tube for the first 5 mins of life and O2. I was diebtic with him type 2. So maybe you guys can help me I hope.