Testing for Lead

gcvmom

Here we go again!
With all the recent scandals over lead in children's toys (as well as the one about lead in Mexican candy a few years back), and thinking about the behavior problems that can be caused by lead exposure, I want to know how many of you have had your kids tested for lead?

My two difficult child's with-ADHD get bloodwork done regularly, and I'm thinking of asking the pediatrician to tack on an order for lead testing the next time they go in for a poke. Maybe it's just my stupid anxiety driving this, but I figure it can't hurt to know for certain.

ggluvbug

If I had found any of the toys that were on the recall lists, I would have had mine tested. But I didn't. Now, if I ever do see some of my kids' toys on that list, I will get them tested.

saman

You know, I never thought about it, but I think I will do the request. Some of my Daughter's toys were on last year's...d-d-d-dora. *beats head against wall*

UGH.

LynnG61

Fortunately, my son is past the age of those toys, I feel for the parents who have children and bought them, scary times for certain!

But, earlier this year I bought an older home (60 years old), and I had it tested for lead paint, and inspected for asbestos thoroughly. Not because my son would eat lead paint chips, but because he likes to pick things (ie: if a chip paint was flaking he would pick at it till it came off!) and he does not wash his hands, etc. Then eats with those things. So, it concerned me, to have to worry about the toys as well? Sadly, we must. So, thanks for giving me the thought as well to have him tested!

brandyf

that has ran across my mind recently too. our home was built in 1954. We have lived here since before difficult child was born. He was tested during infancy but its weird through all the visits for behavior and referrals his pediatrician has not brought that up. i am going to bring it up.

Josie

I think it is a good idea to test. One of my kids' pediatricians routinely tested her patients for lead when they were little. I told her we lived in a new house and I didn't think they had been around any lead but she said you just never know where they could get into it.

Recently, I took easy child/difficult child to a new psychiatrist who looks at environmental factors and he also routinely tests for lead.

smallworld

When two of my kids were suffering from depression at the same time, our pediatrician tested them for "heavy metals." All of the tests came back negative. Because we live in a major metro area on the East Coast, all kids here are tested for lead at about a year and again at 3 years. Again, my kids were negative. It can't hurt to test, especially if you're doing bloodwork anyway.

skeeter

We lived in a much older house (over 100 years old) until about 8 years ago. While the paint wasn't flaking so probably wasn't a concern, there was also lead solder in the pipes.

My pediatrician tested both of my sons for lead every year at their well child check up. Neither ever showed eleveated levels.

Back then, it was covered by my insurance with no problems.

We did the testing for difficult child because we live in a home that was built in 1900 - and because we were seeing behaviors that we now know are due to his Asperger's Disorder.

The testing was easy and quick. You can also buy a lead testing kit to test the toys or whatever is of concern.