Thank goodness for Obamacare!

Kathy813

Staff member
difficult child finally put herself in detox. She was told it would take 10 days to wean her off benzos. Now they are looking for a residential treatment program to send her to.

Her new insurance from the Marketplace is much, much better than last year's policy. There is a long list of residential treatment centers that they cover and they include several that have been highly recommended to us by multiple therapists/facilities. Even better, the policy only had a $500 deductible which she has already met so everything from here on out is 100%.

I am just worried that the Supreme court could take this all away in June.

Keep your fingers crossed for my difficult child. Sooner or later she has to get it, right?

~Kathy

Nancy

Kathy that is wonderful news! I have faith that won't happen. And if it does I suspect there will be uproar in this country that will force change that they may not like any better than what the ACA has done.

BusynMember

The ACA helps the poorer segment of Americans so of course the well off don't like it. And with rich loud mouths on the radio bashing it because they can pay healthcare out of pocket, the less educated or those who don't need it listen and nod.

I don't think the country will tolerate it going back to the way it was.

I wish only and all the best for your daughter. The thing is, you never know when they finally do get it! Maybe THIS will be the time!

Kathy813

Staff member
Of course, difficult child found herself a residential treatment center that was highly recommended that is not covered by her insurance policy. She actually had the nerve to ask how us to pay for it out of pocket.

She has multiple choices of residential treatment centers that are covered. It shows her total lack of compassion for us and our finances. difficult child only thinks about difficult child. husband told her no. I told him he should have said "hell, no."

~Kathy

Kathy813

Staff member
Oh, it keeps getting better. difficult child keeps telling husband that the place she found is the only place that "will save her life" and if we weren't willing to pay for it she could always go to a hotel room and end it all.

Emotional blackmail at its finest. I think that is the borderline rearing its ugly head. husband contacted her former therapist from the IOP that we really liked and asked for recommendations. She suggested a couple that she thought were excellent and husband let the therapist at detox know. The therapist at detox said that they were excellent (she was a graduate of one of them) but that they were primarily addiction focused and she thought difficult child really needed a dual diagnostic center. Another one that both therapists recommended is a dual diagnostic center and gives the option between 12-step (which difficult child hates) and Smart Recovery which she likes.

So is that good enough for my difficult child? Nope, she "heard bad things" about that place. So her solution is a place that is not covered on her insurance and that husband and I should pay for it.

Not going to happen.

~Kathy

Kathy813

Staff member
I just looked up the center that difficult child wants to go to:

XXXXX Treatment Center offers three separate substance abuse and mental health treatment programs in a luxurious setting. Located just steps from . . . blends evidence-based and alternative therapies, exceptional clinical and medical staff, personalized care, and resort-style amenities in a safe, private location.

Yup, only the best for my difficult child. Maybe we should consider sending her to a center in Malibu.

~Kathy

Nancy

I was just going to ask you what it was about that place she liked and of course you are right.....luxurious setting..... resort-style amenities.

:fishbashsmile::kickme::runcirclsmiley2:

Kathy813

Staff member
Oh, there is more . . .

Sailing
Equine therapy
Massage therapy
Hair salon on premises
Dolphin therapy
Acupuncture

She could also get a private room with en suite bathroom "for an additional charge."

I told husband that I was feeling "anxious" and asked him to send me there for a month. I could use a nice vacation.

Sheesh.

toughlovin

Kathy..... I am glad she got herself to detox.... that is a good first step. Now she wants to see if you will rescue her and make life easier for her. I think you are doing great and being clear setting those boundaries!

pasajes4

Oh, there is more . . .
Sailing
Equine therapy
Massage therapy
Hair salon on premises
Dolphin therapy
Acupuncture
She could also get a private room with en suite bathroom "for an additional charge."
I told husband that I was feeling "anxious" and asked him to send me there for a month. I could use a nice vacation.
Sheesh.
SIGN ME UP!!!!
I want to go. I think we should all go. We can get a group rate. Our new T-shirts can be our uniform. Oh wait.......does it have a pool attended by cabana boys, or will we have to get our own towels? :hawaii_girl::swimming:

PatriotsGirl

Oh my, looks like she wants a vacation not real help...I'm sorry...I think when they truly want help, the environment won't matter. The rehab my difficult child is in is a couple of big homes that contain the dorms and trailers out in the middle of nowhere in the woods. And she loves it. Please let me know if you would like the name of the place. I believe there are still beds available and it is a year long program. The fee is based on her income - mine didn't have any, but they took her old beat up car as payment instead. It is also a non-profit so I cannot help but wonder if someone could pay for treatment and write it off as charity...I am an accountant, but my specialty is real estate - not tax...

BusynMember

There's a commercial on TV (forgot what channel) that shows a rehab. It claims his rehab CURES addiction. I don't know exactly what they means...maybe that if you once craved a drug, you no longer will. Who knows? Whatever. He shows pictures of his spa (that's all I can think to call it). Pool outdoors, exercise room, deluxe hotel looking, probably out of reach financially to everyone except for the financially well endowed.All in sunny California.

He says, "I would know. I was an addict. Now I'm not."

Anyone else see that commercial?

dstc_99

Yeah I have seen it several times. It looks so nice and peaceful. All I could think when I saw it was I work full time in order to go on vacation somewhere that isnt as nice. These guys get to go there and stay as long as they need to get off drugs. I must be doing something wrong!

Of course I am sure it is ridiculously expensive.

Nancy

I want to go there too. Reminds me of the time we were at difficult child's rehab for the parent day and husband said to me that he would like to go there for a few months just get away, and it was no resort either.