thank you Dad!

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
ugh difficult child II started Lithobid a month ago and seemed to be doing fine. I had been watching him carefully and making him drink lots of water.

My Dad being the paranoid x-pharmaceutical worker that he is, goes to difficult child II last night and tells him he has to tell me if anything is bothering him now that's he's on this new medication. difficult child II says like what and my Dad goes through a whole list of side effects with him.

well can we all guess what difficult child II is now complaining about?????

YOU GOT IT! All the freakin side effects! He did not say a word about them b4 and I have not seen him once excessively drueling.... but he says he is, and can not take the new medications anymore.....

Grrr hissss, thank you Daddy Dearest!

Steely

OMG.............serious fury!!!!!!:mad:

I would tell difficult child 2 that perhaps grandpa read some article that was, uh, a bit out of date............and that there is absolutely NO need to worry. Geessh!

So sorry.

Marguerite

Go to your father, thank him for his great expertise, explain that now that he's made GFGII aware of the side effects that of course this medication is no longer an option; what does Daddy Dearest recommend from his amazing fount of all knowledge? Because there HAS to be an answer, this kid cannot go unmedicated.

Daddy has caused te problem; he now should bear some of the responsibility in finding the solution. Because Daddy clearly has brilliant insight, a broad knowledge base and therefore is the perfect person to find the answer. FAST.

Of course, maybe I'm wrong - maybe Daddy Dearest is perhaps now aware he doesn't know everything? In which case, could he perhaps share this enlightenment with GFGII, so the lad can get back on track with his medications?

I do seriously suggest you use this approach. I know the temptation is to charge in there and scream at him, "You interfering old fool! What were you thinking? How dare you interfere with MY child and create a problem that I can't fix!"
This won't solve a darn thing. You need to appeal to the old man's vanity and belief in his own supremacy, by handing him full control of the problem he just created. When he realises he can't fix it, or begins to say, "I don't know everything," THEN it's the time to pounce and say, "Aha! Now tell THAT to your grandson, so he can stop believing the rubbish you filled him with."

Marg

susiestar

Roll With It
I wanna poke his eye too!!! Me too!!!!!

I think Marg has the PERFECT solution. It is just brilliant!

And if he has "suggestions" or "comments" about difficult child 1, then make difficult child 1 his responsibility also!

I am sorry your dad created this situation.

susiestar

Roll With It
OOO - Just thought of something!

Give your son a dixie cup (the bathroom size) and tell him to drool into it. Tell difficult child 2 that if he has excessive drool he should be able to fill it up in an hour to this line (draw a line near the top). Then let him carry it around and TIME him to see how much he drools in an hour. Even if he is SPITTING instead of drooling it will be very very hard to fill the cup up in an hour (or whatever time you choose).

Then you can say, well,excessive drooling would have it filled tohere, but you only got to here. So you can SEE that you don't have this.

The head of the montessori Wiz and Jess were in when they were very young used this with kids who spit. It can take a LONG time to fill up a 3 oz cup with drool/spit. She would draw a line about 1/2 inch from the bottom and it took some kids 4 or 5 hours to fill it to that point.

If you need an "article" from an "authority" saying how fast someone with excessive drooling would fill up a 3 oz cup, it wouldn't be hard to fake one.

Just a thought.

TerryJ2

Aaaaargh! I am SO sorry!

I agree with-Marg. Also, you may want to suggest that these side effects that grandpa told him about only last 2 days, after you've been on it for exactly one month, and then they go away and everything is perfect.
Or would he see through that?

Cute idea, Susie. Maybe that would work!

susiestar

Roll With It
Oh, I didn't think it up. Ms. Su, the most AMAZING Montessori teacher I ever met did. It sure fixed little kids who wanted to spit on each other.

Have any of you ever had to fill up a cup for a spit sample for the doctor? It can be tough if they want a certain amt to do a test. So if he is drooling excessively, he would fill it up much faster.

You could even get one of those little sample cups the docs keep in the restroom for urine samples. Docs use the same cups for sputum (drool) samples. This would let difficult child know you are taking it seriously. Tell him the doctor sent the cup and wanted him to put as much spit as he possible could in 30 mins or 1 hour. And the amount he put into the cup would help the doctor because they could tell if it was excessive drool AND they can run tests on it to check the levels of the medication and his hormones.

You could even use the computer to type up "official" directions. I bet the doctor would go along with you and give you the cup. Or a nurse at the pediatrician or family care doctor would.

Maybe 2 cups so Gpa could spit along with him to show them the "normal" amount of spit to be expected. You could tell Gpa that it has to be an adult male RELATIVE and since he is SOO VERY CONCERNED you really appreciate his helping. It is the health of his grandson after all.

(all said as sweet as pie, with that oh so concerned tone in your voice until you get into your room and can laugh into a pillow!!)

Can anyone tell I have had my own experiences with Gpas who tell kids what side effects they "will" have?