thanks for the welcome

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
You are certainly in a difficult situation. I agree with therapist - stabilization first. Safety first.

in my humble opinion, if it takes medications for your difficult child to make safe choices & use non aggressive reactions I'd go that route. (Have with both of my children - not an easy decision but one I've had to make to have a level of safety around here.)

Let go of the "diagnosis" for the time being. As your difficult child is being tested; as medications are added or decreased & stopped the diagnosis will slowly shine through. A treatment plan will all of a sudden become effective. Given this is mental/emotional illness this is not a hard science. There isn't any one test or indicator of what may or may not be going on. That is the most frustrating part of this.

by the way, I don't say what I've said off the top of my head. I remember one day telling psychiatrist - "call her pregnant, just treat her". This was after an ER admit & we were trying to get kt safely off the ceiling. The top ER doctor walked in & I asked him to "bomb" kt. Tranq her so she is safe - this level wasn't good for any of us. We could work out the whys & wherefores later. He agreed.

(((hugs)))

daralex

Clinging onto my sanity
Just wanted to say that I really feel for your anxiety and frustration. You're being a great mom and doing everything within your power to make him "well". Keep at it! Good luck and keep us posted.
-Dara

M

ML

Welcome! Bless your heart girl, you are going through some really tough stuff. Stay strong, lean on us and know that you aren't alone. xo ML

BusynMember

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time.
By "testing" I didn't mean for physical causes. I meant taking him to a neuropsychologist so he would have a huge battery of tests in all areas of his functioning. Psychiatrists don't usually do testing. NeuroPsychs can give you a really good idea of what's going on and lead you on the right path. Ours tested my difficult-to-figure-out son for twelve hours before he drew any final conclusions. My son has done well since seeing him.