Thanksgiving Recipes?

ScentofCedar

We have been invited to bring the things a group of unrelated people would bring to munch on before dinner. The hostess is a gourmet cook / former restaurant owner. (I KNOW! :thanksgiving1:)

So, what would you bring?

There will be three other couples.

This is the South, so they are deep-frying the turkey. As far as I can determine, other than the deep-frying the turkey part, the dinner is traditional.

This hostess never serves much in the way of appetizers, as she wants the appetite whetted, not sated.

I am thinking about doing oysters with spinach and fresh grapes with asiago cheese.

husband thinks that will be too heavy.

Celery with roquefort cheese was mentioned as an alternative.

:smile:

Plus, the last time we made oysters for this couple?

She suggested that I try a little ~ some Italian something that tastes of anise to highlight the spinach.

So, this lady loves food, and prepares it very, very well.

That's why I was thinking grapes and asiago.

So, if I do the celery with roquefort for husband (I DO love my husband, I DO love my husband)....

What else should I bring?

Up North, we do oysters with champagne and a huge dinner and salami and cheese and desserts ~ a true food overload.

This is not how things are done down South, apparently.

We really like these people and I would like to bring something she will not feel was too heavy.

I swear, I am thinking the oysters, the grapes with asiago, an oriental coleslaw, and a pie.

Although husband says we should skip the pie, as the hostess hinted at a very special dessert. (Last time she made dinner for us? She flamed a thing to crystallize the sugar on top of it.

AND SHE THOUGHT IT WAS SO NOT A BIG DEAL THAT SHE DID NOT EVEN CALL US IN TO WATCH HER FLAME IT.

Trust me.

I would have liked to have seen that one!

:rofl:

So, no pie then.

I can make a fresh raw veggie tray with dip, of course.

Well then, how about a delicious dip recipe?

So.

Oysters and champagne for a toast. (Oysters down here, unlike up North, are no big deal at all. People eat them by the bucketsful.)

They even eat them raw without so much as a nod to the machismo required to do so.

At least, machismo is required to gobble raw oysters when you have been raised in Wisconsin.

:bravo:

So, maybe no oysters either.

What might you bring?

Barbara

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Most of the appetizer type things I do are kind of heavy. If you do the veggie tray I do have a beue (sp) monde dip that is good and slightly different. Other than that not sure at the moment. I do just traditional things.

Beth

Fran

Former desparate mom
Aren't stone crabs in season? We used to have those when having Thanksgiving in Florida. They are yummy and very special.

Cranberry relish made from scratch comes to mind or
offer to bring the wine. Ask the chef if there is anything you can do to ease the work load. Maybe a centerpiece of flowers?? or come early to set the table.
I know when I cook I tend to have a menu in mind and it makes it difficult if I don't know what others are bringing.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Ya'll in the South? Hot dang!

I would nix the oysters mostly because well the month does end in BER which is the only months Southerners will eat Oysters harvested from the sea locally. (honest)

But if the cook is putting oyster stuffing - the stuffing is one of the MAIN "shine" dishes sooooo....

I like Frans Idea of a centerpiece - Order something loverly from FTD, but do call the hostess and ask her what colors she's doing on the table - then tell her your idea in lieu of food.

That may lead to her saying she needs "this or that" and you can surely get the recipe from HER.

I LOVE Creme Brulee - (the firey dessert) I could eat a bucket of it.

If it's finger food she's looking for - try 1 bottle of grape jelly, worstershire sauce and all beef smokeys - with a little fork - they are slammin! And look gourmet.

You could always order from a fancy schmansy restaurant the day before and warm it up - take it and not say a word about where you got it from.

How about a bag of doritos? (roflmbo)

meowbunny

I've always found marinated mushrooms to be a HUGE hit. Easy to make, not heavy and can be served as appetizers or a side dish.

Whole Mushrooms -- cleaned and quartered if large; halved if medium; whole if small

Put mushrooms in glass jars; be sure to fill jars as much as possible.

Bernstein's Italian Marinade
Fresh Parsley chopped fine
Any other herbs (preferably fresh) you might want to put in.

Add herbs to marinade, mix well.

Pour marinade on top of mushrooms; refrigerate at least 12 hours.

Depending on the quantity of mushrooms you use, you may have to get two or three bottles of marinade.

Put them in pretty containers and you have great gifts -- especially if you add small fishbowls of cranberry-orange relish or compote.

ScentofCedar

Oh, these are some great ideas!

I never thought about marinated mushrooms. Light, goes with anything, tasty.

And a centerpiece, Fran! What hostess would not love something like that?

Star?

On the Dorito thing....

:rofl:

Barbara

ScentofCedar

Here I am, replying to my own thread again.

Mrs. Cat, I would love the beau monde dip recipe.

Fran, what do you DO with stone crabs? Just boil them up ahead of time and bring them cold?

Do you have to boil them alive?

I don't think I can do that.

husband bought a living lobster once when we were still up north? And I refused to let him boil it alive. I told him he had to kill it first. So, the kids and I went downstairs so husband could do away with the lobster before we cooked it.

And all the kids and I could hear? Is husband pounding on this poor lobster's head.

But it did not work.

We had to boil him alive, anyway.

We have never bought a living sea creature since.

Star, those Doritos are looking better and better!

Barbara

goldenguru

I have a wonderful cranberry salsa that I serve with blue corn chips. It looks lovely - and tastes wonderful.

Heres the salsa recipe:

CRANBERRY SALSA

1 bag (12 oz) fresh or frozen cranberries
1 granny smith apple, peeled and chopped
½ large red pepper, cut in chunks
½ medium red onion, cut in chunks (I use less)
¾ cup sugar
1/3 cup apple juice
3 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 Tablespoons chopped picked jalapeño pepper
1 tsp grated lime zest

Put cranberries, apple, red pepper and onion in food processor; pulse until chopped . Transfer to large bowl. Add remaining ingredients and stir till blended. Cover and refrigerate. May be made up to two weeks ahead.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
The dip is

3/4 cups Mayonnaise (not salad dressing)
3 oz cream cheese
1 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon fine minced onion
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1 teaspoon Beau Monde
1 teaspoon dill weed
1/2 teaspoon curry powder

Soften cream cheese and blend with remaining ingredients until smooth. Chill. Use as a dip for raw vegetables or serve on hot cabbage or family vegetables.

I just use it for raw veggies but I wanted to type the recipe as I had it. It is really good and easy and not the same old ranch that so many folks use.

Beth

Fran

Former desparate mom
The stone crabs I got are steamed/cooked and served cold with a yummy horseradish type dip. I'm sure any florida market that has them will tell you what to do.
Joe's Stone Crab in Miami is world famous for them. I bet if you go to their website you can get the info.

Lothlorien

How about cut up mellon and make fruit skewars with mellon, prociutto and fresh mozzarella balls. Serve with a side of a simple basil and olive oil dressing.

I'm so jealous, I'd KILL to get a melon that tastes good this time of year. I love melon with prosciutto and bleu cheese...to DIE for.

I saw a recipe somewhere for an alternative to cranberry sauce, it was made with orange and pomegranate. It looked delicious. I can't find it but I bet there is something similar on the web.

DDD

I love all the ideas. I ADORE stone crab claws. It is beyond
love, believe me. on the other hand, they are not easy to serve if you have
an elegant meal. If I were you I would buy pounds of them and
the horseradish sauce (or warm drawn butter) and then PIG OUT at
home. Leftovers?? Call me.

The marinated muschrooms sound great. I would do those and then
add my favorite. It is nameless but terrific. Years ago I was
at a high end restaurant in Vero Beach that served these and I've
never seen them again.

Buy cans of Hearts of Palm. Buy lots of lovely Nova (lox).
Make a pretty bed of curly lettuce on your plate. Drain each
piece of palm and dry completely. Wrap the palm in Nova. For
crowds I cut the palm in half so the wrapped piece is around one
inch long..for one bite. Use colorful toothpicks. In the center
of your plate use you favorite vegetable dip. I have a dill dip
that has to be made 24 in advance but works well. On occasion I
have used bottled blue cheese. It will be unique & colorful.

PS: "Don't forget the leftover stone crab claws!" LOL DDD

ScentofCedar

Excellent, guys!

Thanks!

Barbara

DDD? You are so funny! Those stone crabs must be awfully good. husband and I will try them here at home, where we can get messy.

Here is a question, then. This same lady brought husband and I two cans of "she-crab soup" which we have never eaten.

Does it make a difference if the crab is male or female?

ScentofCedar

Think I could make a fruit arrangement? They are so beautiful.But they really ARE expensive, aren't they.

Pineapple and strawberry, melon and grapes.

Does anyone think any of these fruits would brown if I made the arrangement that morning?

I think that would work.

Are the fruit pieces on long skewers in florist's foam, do you think?

And is that a leechee fruit in the center of the daisy pineapple?

Wonder what I could use for trailing leaves?

Just a cluster of green grapes, maybe?

You have given me such wonderful ideas and recipes, everyone ~ thanks!

Barbara

You know, I actually worked for a week at Edible Arrangements once just before Easter.

They halve dark heads of kale and put it in a basket, and loosely pack bibb lettuce around it.

They skewer pineapple (cut into flowers), melon balls, strawberries on steroids, and grapes. I swear I have never seen strawberries like these EVER. And even though they are the size of my head, they are SO sweet.

One of the arrangements is just strawberries, dipped in chocolate. They dip these things FOUR times.

They put them in the cooler and it will keep for a day.

Let us know how it turns out if you make it! You aren't using bananas, pears or apples so it should not oxidize.

ScentofCedar

Ah, thank you, BBK.

The kale is a good idea. I wondered how the florist's foam would maintain its balance once the weght of the fruit was pulling it to one side or the other.

Kale.

Never would have thought of that in a million years.

Barbara