That darn kid...

KTMom91

No, not Miss KT...Son #2, computer guru.

My computer was acting crazy, so Son #2 put one together for me. I was thrilled for about 30 minutes, and then I sat down to actually compute. No one bothered to tell me that I needed to write down all my saved links to favorite websites. No one bothered to tell me that I needed to write down the passwords to those websites. No one bothered to tell me that I could no longer just click and get my e-mail, that it would now be a process, and not all of it comes through. I was told everything was backed up, no problem.

And today, after I've solved the e-mail process, and gotten the website and password dilemma nearly resolved, I discover that...I don't have Word or Excel, and I cannot open pdf files. Not only can I not open them, I can't even save them to my e-reader. OK, somebody needs to fix this...I have books to review that I can't get to. I call Hubby, and he delivers a fairly complicated list of instructions. I don't think so. I ask about Word and Excel. Wow, there should be an install disk somewhere. I'll look for it when I get home.

Thanks for your help, gentlemen. GRRRRR.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I feel your pain, Mary! My geek-squad difficult child-bro has done me similar favors in the past. I don't ask for his help anymore. I'd rather pay the extra $ and get what I need than save a few bucks with his assistance and end up tearing my hair out trying to undo all his helpfulness.

Hope you can get everything restored the way you need it soon!

donna723

I feel your pain! That's what I've been doing all day today! Mine got totally goobered up. I took it to the man that's worked on it before - he had to completely dump everything and reload it all from the recovery disks. It took all afternoon to install a new antivirus program and update it and run all the scans. Then I had to start getting everything back the way it was, trying to remember all those passwords, etc. I am seriously thinking of just getting a brand new one as passing this one along to my son.

susiestar

Roll With It
I keep my email stored at the provider. I take each important password and send an email to myself about it. (Not for bank or insurance stuff, but for other stuff.) Then I keep those emails in a folder in my email program. I have successfully switched computers and even internet browsers and have never lost one of them. Not even when my computer fizzled out and needed repair. It just works for me.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Ohhhhhhh....that would soooooooooooo hoover! I've got two reviews due but will wait till mid week. BUT...I COULD do them if I wanted. Eeesh. Even without the reviews....if you can't download to your ereader....do you need something for the withdrawal???? :tongue:

mstang67chic

Going Green
Just had a thought.....if you fix it so you can get your books but still don't have excel or word....you could always type your reviews up in a pm.... cut and paste them on the forum and then send them to me. I'll send them back and when you have the problem resolved, cut and past them in a new word file and save them.

Convoluted, I know but it would work!

KTMom91

Hubby was fiddling with the computer most of today, off and on, and I have Word and Excel. I'm supposed to be able to transfer my pdf's, too. BUT...somebody did something this evening, and our DSL randomly comes and goes. Terrific.

I did post one review, Stang, but I wasn't happy with it because I posted it straight on to the site. No time to think it over or rewrite the way I usually do.

I'm typing and watching the little green DSL light, 'cause when it starts flashing yellow, I'm done!