The absolute perfect Halloween costume

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
kt is such a drama queen, as most of our difficult children can be. A small cut is cause for amputation. :crazy:

Last night kt was in mid meltdown - cannot ever remember what was behind it. And of course, kt was at her most dramatic. If there was an oscar for whining she'd take best the award for best whiner in the difficult child female category ages 11 - 14.

Having said that, in the midst of this I started laughing....kt looked up at me. I asked her outright "is your sense of humor still in tact?" I could tell kt didn't quite know how to answer this so I told her I had an idea for her Halloween costume. Of course, meltdown ended & she nodded.

"Drama Queen"

We all started giggling & making plans for kt's costume. This weekend we're heading out to Goodwill for a gown of some sort with shoes. I'll be making the tiara & scepter for the occasion.

I had to write about this in my journal....moments like these are priceless in my humble opinion. :warrior:

Marguerite

I might suggest that to easy child 2/difficult child 2. Of course, we tend to not celebrate Halloween in Australia (apart from the occasional student party), but she's going to a costume conference (fantasy & sci fi) and wants to go as Susan Sto Helit, from Terry Pratchett's book "Hogfather". In the book Susan is Death's adopted granddaughter who sometimes helps him out on the job. Susan at other times is a childrens' governess, like a stern, black-clad Mary Poppins. Also in the book, Death is a big skeleton wearing a black cloak and carrying a scythe. he rides a white horse called Binky. It's fantasy satire of the very best kind.

So in this country where carrying a weapon of any kind, especially a bladed weapon, is illegal, my daughter wants a scythe. Of course it will need to be made of cardboard or plastic. But in past conferences, they've even had to check CARDBOARD weapons at the door.

But drama queen - I like that.

Marg

busywend

Linda, you need to become a comedian. That is it. You can stop kt mid-whine if you can just get her to laugh.

I love the drama-queen idea!

We are not doing Halloween this, year, looong story. But I LOVE the fact that you were able to stop a meltdown with a suggestion of a Halloween costume idea. Too cool!! Drama Queen fits most of our girls, as does Drama King for the boys! LOL!!

Have fun and let us know how it all turns out!

Hugs,
Vickie

Sunlight

who needs witches ghosts and goblins when our kids scare us near death on a daily basis?? I swear if I see a spook I will shrug and yawn and say " is that all you got??"

Martie

Linda,

Very funny....too bad I didn't think of this for easy child.

difficult children do not have the corner on this category :smile:

Martie

Stella Johnson

I love it. :rofl:

Sometimes when my difficult child is whining and she knows she is being ridiculous I will say, "Don't laugh. You know you can't laugh". At that point she usually snaps out of it and starts laughing.
She's a difficult child so when you tell her not to do something, she feels compelled to do it. Reverse psychology is wonderful. :smile:

Steph

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
BBK took the words right out of my mouth, try finding the comedy tragedy masks representing drama. Maybe not even wear as a mask, but hang around neck as a sort of necklace.....great idea and broke the chain of thought towards a meltdown......

pepperidge

way to go, Linda. brilliant!

The perfect Halloween costume for my lovelies would be typical teen (typcial teen). They would be dressed appropriately, with homework in hand, a smile on their faces... well you get the picture. :smile:

Steph, (stella johnson)

When Tink is getting ridiculous, I tell her "There is NO laughing allowed in this house. Don't you DARE smile."

Heck, I think mom did that with me...