The Annual Thanksgiving Thread!

klmno

Well, with difficult child not here this year I won't be cooking all the stuff. I might fix a small turkey breast and have a scaled down dinner. After all, our dogs are used to having a tiny portion of turkey and gravy on TG and I would hate to disappoint them! difficult child supposedly gets a feast in Department of Juvenile Justice.

I am thankful that difficult child is safe and doing well, that he's matured some, and for our health and our furbabies. I'm thankful for the friends here on the board and that I've been able to sleep in a home without losing it so far. I'll be more thankful if I have a job commitment by Thanksgiving. LOL!

Josie

Depression is getting in the way of my Thanksgiving, too.

I am thankful difficult child 1 is healthy and doing well. I am thankful we are able to keep looking for the right doctor for difficult child 2's health.

We are supposed to go to my parents for Thanksgiving and early Xmas gift exchange. Depending on how difficult child 2 is doing, we may end up staying here and having a simple meal. I am supposed to bring pies if we go.

Last edited:

tiredmommy

First, I want to send gentle {{{hugs}}} to our members that are struggling this year. I truly hope you can each find joy in your hearts to replace the grief, depression & pain. I know you all to be strong and capable people. Please go easy on yourselves and don't set your expectations high. Who cares if the house isn't decorated (or particularly clean), or the rolls get burned or Uncle Joe cracks an inappropriate joke at the dinner table? Go easy on your kids and enjoy them as much as you can. Hug them and love them and be thankful for them, even if they are fighting, trashing the house or being oppositional. You don't need a fancy meal to be thankful.

Duckie said something insightful last night at dinner. We were having a hearty homemade minestrone soup which I don't think she particularly liked. She said she tries to remember that she's lucky to have a warm & healthy meal even if she would prefer something else.

Duckie has requested a quiet day... just the three of us. We'll watch the parade in the morning, a little football in the afternoon and watch a Christmas movie in the evening.

And I'm thankful for a lot this year. Duckie received her seasonal flu & H1N1 shots ahead of most of our community; and her H1N1 booster is scheduled. I'm also thankful that none of her friends or classmates have been seriously ill so far despite the high rate of illness in our community.

I'm thankful that husband has held onto his job and that we are basically happy. There are a lot of things we want but our needs are met. I'm thankful for my friends, here and in real life. The support that I have received over the years from the membership here is a debt I doubt I'll ever be able to repay.

I'm thankful for my family and my dear pets. They give love so freely, they are amazing.

And I'm thankful that Duckie continues to do well. Each ODD episode seems shorter and further apart every year. She's growing into a fine, loving and intelligent young lady. She brings me joy.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I haven't read all the responses yet....I will.

My plans for T'giving are to head out early Wednesday morning with ktbug to my dad's house. I will crash shortly after I get there.

I expect there will be 3 turkeys like every year - one in the oven, one on the grill & one in the turkey fryer thingie (I can't remember the name for that thing, however my bro is a pro at doing turkies on it).

Lots of side dishes & lots of deserts. If anything I will prepare a WW appetizer made with pizza dough, lots of spinach, onion sauted in olive oil & spice with italian seasonings & then mix in parmasean cheese. Bake until warm & crispy.

I hear there's a shortage of pumpkin this year. Maybe a couple of pecan pies.

DDD

It will be T Day as usual at my house. Nothing new as everyone wants the same meal we have always had..boring, aren't we? :D So far I only expect seven or eight total but three more may be added this weekend.

This has not been the best of years but husband and I are thankful that we are still able to work and parent and do some community service work. Many of the much younger CD family members are not as blessed with good health. Overall life is good for us. DDD

DammitJanet

I was thinking as I read this thread....I am so thankful that this year has been a life altering one for me. I learned how truly awesome this board really is. My family did as well. I am extremely thankful that I am alive this year and able to participate in this years Thanksgiving thread. Didnt happen last year. Im glad you arent busy sending me cards this year...lol. Most of all, Im glad that I learned to live and not take things for granted.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Having a different Thanksgiving this year. We are going on vacation to St. Louis. We plan to spend T-Day at the zoo. Who knows what we will eat. I would be happy with anything. The next night we go see Little House on the Prairie the Musical and having the grand buffet. Ahhhhhh.

I am so thankful for many things. Not getting much in the way of calls from the difficult child residences. easy child is doing wonderful. husband has a good job. I love my job (most days). We are actually sitting better than I think we have in the entire time we have been together. I realize that is so opposite of so many during these times. I am grateful to have places like this to come.

Beth

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I need to add that we will be eating Thanksgiving dinner at the nursing home with mother in law on Sunday. They called to see if we'd like to come. Thought that was a rather nice thing for them to do for the residents and their families. :D

I'm thankful for my board family. Thankful that I'm in nursing school. (and not flunking lol) Thankful that Travis has survived his first quarter at college. Thankful Nichole orientates at Shawnee State tomorrow morning. (woot!) And thankful that I have easy child who helps me out when I'm lost in my studying......or have group partners who leave me hanging out to dry. :D

This year we are traveling to visit my Mom in the mountain of Western North Carolina. It's simply too difficult for her to travel to our home and try to negotiate all of our stairs. We're going to dinner at a local B&B and someone else will do the cooking and the washing!

I'm so grateful for the good health of all of our family members , especially my Mom. I'm so relieved that my niece made it home safely from Iraq. She's at home with her little one in nestled in her arms, and hopefully she'll never have to go back. I'm grateful that easy child has finally finished his schooling (for now) and that difficult child appears to have made a fairly good adjustment to the University.

Life is good.

Valerie

I have so much Occupational Therapist (OT) be thankful for !!!! I am most of the time pretty peaceful and calm. There is a lot more peace and serenity in our home. I have accepted that difficult child is not living here and I am very much at peace. We have a great team of support people on board with her. difficult child is much more stable than this time last year. My son, 19 is doidng great. We have darling puppies and my realtion=hip with husband is closer.
Thnaksgivng will be simpler this year:turkey, I am making corn bread stffing balls. I juist put order in for pies, bread, and rolls at the grocery bakery. I am looking forward to beierng back out at our country home.
We donot know if difficult child will be here. We are preparing by putting locks on doors and have things very strucutred . It will be a great day, irregardless.
I am also grateful for this board, I first got on here last Thnksgivng.
Compassion