The Bachelorette

Kathy813

Staff member
Okay, fellow Bachelorette fans, what was your take this week on NASCAR Barbie?

I thought that this week's episode was a bit of a snooze fest. I always like it better when they get past this stage to the serious contenders.

I would like to know why Kalon's lips look permanently wet. Does he use lip gloss? Other than that, I thought Charlie was sweet and Sean is incredibly good looking. Ryan turned me off a little but I can't put my finger on why.

I wasn't crazy about Emily's comment about looking for a man to take charge. What is this . . . 1950?

What did you all think?

~Kathy

Last edited:

Nancy

I don't remember much of any of the guys to even have an impression yet. I did see Emily on Ellen the other day and she said it was not her idea to have it in Charlotte, the producers came to her with that suggestion and she liked it because she could still participate in Ricky's activities.

Nancy

Tiapet

Old Hand
Now I remember who it was that I thought was someone from a previous season, and now he's gone too. It was Joe! Though now I think he wasn't the one I was thinking of but very similar to the other guy. I did not like him or the other one from the other season. He was very sleazy and not there for the right reasons at all.

I think Sean is going to last long in this season, irregardless of the previews. I also think the one with the son at home too.

What I did like from this episode that stood out and made me think "I wish they would take and turn this series more towards it" was how they are using single parents. I think if they tailored it single parents and did more things like they did where she had him help with the groceries and bake cookies, you know the "real" things in life instead of these "fantasy" dates it would be far more REAL life to what's going on in the world now. There are a lot of single parents out there looking for partners. Good decent people.

I get that they like to draw viewers in with the fantasy and with drama but I also think that there is a market for this type of show too. What do you all think? I guess it's the one moment I liked about this season/episode with Emily when I really don't care for her.

I also see that Emily comes from a family of money. Too have grown up and been able to go to the Green Brier Resort all her life! That is an expensive place. I really wish they would have more true to life shows then fantasy stuff. It is nice to dream and live "out side the box" but I think you can also capture an audience's heart with emotions of real true to life stuff too.

Nancy

I liked the realistic baking cookies date too. I think Emily really wants to find someone who is comfortable with home life and not looking to jet off to faraway places all the time. A couple years ago when we had several more members watching we had a discussion about how we wished they would show conversations between them about normal everyday stuff but we also agreed that wouldn't be good tv.

I don't mind that she comes from a higher economic status. We have neighbors who owned a timeshare at Greenbrier and they are not wealthy or snobby, they worked hard and enjoyed going there on vacations. She also probably received a nice settlement from the plane crash.

I'm curious why anyone watches if they don't like Emily. I think for me if I didn't like her I would get bored because I don't think it is going to be filled with the salacious drama that previous seasons were that made it interesting.

Nancy

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I'm curious why anyone watches if they don't like Emily. I think for me if I didn't like her I would get bored because I don't think it is going to be filled with the salacious drama that previous seasons were that made it interesting.

Nancy, let me turn this question around. I recall that you didn't like all of the previous Bachelors/Bachelorettes. Of the ones you didn't like, why did you continue to watch? It was kind of fun to get together here and tear them to shreds the next day, wasn't it? ;)

Besides, who knows- maybe we will become Emily converts by the end of the series!

Kathy, I was a bit surprised by her comment about taking charge, too. I think Emily is pretty traditional but I also interpreted it as it would be nice for her to have someone who could take charge and give her a break once in awhile. As we all know, it is very difficult being a single parent so I certainly can't fault her for that. Time will tell if any "You-Tarzan-Me-Jane" attitudes will show in other ways.

Suz

Last edited:

Tiapet

Old Hand
Even though I don't like Emily I watch the show because I like the show per say. It's an escape at times. I get to see the far off places they go to that I know I will never get to. Sometimes there are funny moments in it as well. I watch many kinds of shows that are similar as well even if I may not like the people or situations in it. Like the other show, season 2 coming, think it's called "Love in the Wild"? It's interesting.

I think Suz hit the button with what Emily means about someone taking control. What she really said, was she wanted someone to take control "but we really know who's in control", meaning her and I even think she said her didn't she? Maybe I'm confusing that statement with another show recently.

And of course, who can't resist watching some man candy once in a while huh? LOL.......can dream can't we? Though I can't complain, I really do have a piece of my own believe it or not. Maybe not muscular but he is very nice looking, tall, dark and handsome. Gorgeous blue eyes! ;) (even he gets into the show with me too!)

Nancy

That's easy to answer Suz and I thought about that when I pondered the question. I watched first because I didn't know I wasn't going to like them and second because I love living vicariously through the salacious drama :flirtysmile3:. After 39 years of marriage a girl needs some excitement.....jk husband.

I just wondered because I stopped watching survivor because I just wasn't interested anymore and it got boring and I would think this season with Emily is going to be boring somewhat if you didn't like her and they didn't have all the travel dates. If they had Brad on again I don't think I would watch because I really did not like him.

So if you are saying you may become a convert yay!

Nancy

Kathy813

Staff member
I watch for the drama and to see if the spoilers are right. I don't have to like the lead to enjoy the show. Sometimes I come around to liking the lead and sometimes I don't.

I didn't even watch the stupid show until you guys got me hooked on it. LOL I watched the last couple of episodes of Jason's season and started reading the CD Bachelor/Bachelorette threads and now I am a fan.

by the way, speaking of snarking on Emily . . . she would have fit right in with the characters on GCB. Her comment about letting a man take charge but then quickly saying but of course she would really be in charge fit right in with that sweet southern girl who plays the part of You Tarzan Me Jane but doesn't really mean it. Again . . . she just comes across as fake to me.

Sorry, Nancy.

~Kathy

Nancy

It's ok Kathy, but I think I just won't respond on this show anymore because it really isn't fun for me. I'm not upset, just know when it isn't fun anymore. I mentioned the other day I am usually for the underdog and so be it. I have too much negativity in my life as it is.

Nancy

Last edited:

Kathy813

Staff member
I'm sorry, Nancy, I certainly didn't start this thread to upset you. I won't start a Bachelor thread anymore.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
So if you are saying you may become a convert yay!

I am reserving judgement at this point. I think Emily deserves a chance and an open mind and that's where I'm coming from.

I don't think it's unusual for people to have opinions about other people based on their experience with a "type." We are all guilty of doing that. Heck, I've always been partial to the girl's name Katie because I knew a wonderful, happy, positive girl named Katie in college. I even named one of my sweet fuzzbutts Katie in hopes that she would live up to my expectations of the name...and she did! That said, it's not a realistic assumption that all Katies are pleasant any more than all blonde Southern women are a "type."

Nancy/Kathy/All- I hope that we can have a fun exchange each week about the show. We don't have to agree but I agree that it should be a pleasant exchange. Heck, Ephchap and I often disagree about American Idol and Survivor but we enjoy the sparring.

Suz

Ephchap

Well, Nancy, my easy child and I both like Emily too, so you're no longer alone. I think she's adorable. I do have to say, I was a bit leery of her being the Bachelorette after already getting engaged to Brad and breaking it off, but she's available and still looking, so why not.

As Suz said, she and I spar about the Idol contestants, etc. No biggie. If we all liked the same look, music, etc., the world would be a boring place. lol.

Deb

DDD

LOL. I watched from my hospital bed guys so there would be more than one pro Emily family member. DDD

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
D3- I hope Nancy and Kathy know you're back and posting again.

Welcome home, honey. How are you doing???

Suz