the best medication for panic attacks

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by guest3, Jan 28, 2007.

1. guest3

guest3 Guest

Both of my difficult child's have really been making me stress these days , and I have struggled with panic/anxiety attacks sense 2001 when I was assaulted. They have been occurring tenfold over the past 2 weeks, and I am considering going back on medications. Dr. is recommending Wellbutrin, but some one else told me that made them evil/nasty. I don't need that either. Was just hoping for some opinions?? thank you

2. smallworld

smallworld Moderator

From www.crazymeds.org:

What are Wellbutrin / Wellbutrin SR / Wellbutrin XL's FDA Approved Uses: Depression, Smoking Cessation (as Zyban)

What are Wellbutrin / Wellbutrin SR / Wellbutrin XL's Off-Label Uses: Weight Loss, Bipolar Depression, ADD/ADHD, Fibromyalgia, Arthritis, Chronic Fatigue, Multiple Sclerosis, Lupus, Headaches, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)

As you can read, Wellbutrin is not approved for panic attacks; in fact, anxiety and agitation are listed as possible side effects of Wellbutrin. Honestly, I'm not sure why a doctor would choose Wellbutrin for panic attacks, but you're going to need to ask him/her.

3. hearts and roses

hearts and roses Mind Reader

Just a note: When I was taking wellbutrin XL, I developed anxiety and was put on xanax as needed. I have since stopped wellbutrin and still take the xanax as needed, mostly to settle down at night and fall asleep.

I have an appointment with my doctor to discuss alternative anxiety medications on Fed 6th - will let you know what she says!

4. guest3

guest3 Guest

thanks for the info, I am also going to ask dr.