The Big Day has arrived

klmno

Uh HUH- No Quitting!! I like the idea of signing up for the one and having a spot held while you try this again. If math is so important on the test, then I'm assuming you'd actually be using some of that math in a real job setting. If you went with LPN and were using some of this math on a regular basis, it appears to me that it would help make some it second nature and it would come to you quicker and easier in a test situation later on.

Jena

Lisa

im sorry to hear it, yet it wans't for nothing, it was for something. It's that stupid math that did it. ugh!!!! I'm so proud of you for going back in and finishing that test though, wow you are not a quitter at all.

i'm glad to hear that you can start yet at a little lower pay scale. You should be proud of yourself for all you did though, you really should.

((((hugs))))

meowbunny

Darn. I was so hoping for you. Do check to see if some sort of accommodation can be made on the math issue. Maybe they will let you do it with a calculator given the facts?

Now, quit feeling stupid. As you said, you improved in other areas. The math is a block. It may be a hard wall for you to climb, but I bet you can climb it even if it takes many tries. As was said, many people take bar exams over and over and over -- even some of our best and brightest. Ditto for real estate exams. Ditto for almost any professional license. Some people just are not geared to take tests even though they know the information inside and out.

So, hugs, but keep on plugging. Choose the path that means the most to you. I have faith you'll ultimately succeed if you go the RN route.

DammitJanet

Lisa...I couldnt do math right now if you gave me a calculator, abacus, ruler, a dish of candy, and someone standing next to me cheering me on!Im not sure of my times tables any more and I was an accountant...lol.

I think you are really brave to go back to school. I had forgotten about your Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI). Definitely ask the whatchamacallit department about help.

susiestar

Roll With It
Lisa,

I am SO SORRY. I know how hard you worked. I know you can do the work (RN or LPN) and I think that asking for reasonable accommodations due to the Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) are in order. If they would just let you have a calculator you would do very well, I think.

You should go to the school or whoever gives the test and ASK for accommodations - a serparate room if needed, more time, a calculator, non of these things are out of line.

In the real world there are no nurses that I have seen who do math with-o a calculator. None.

The MAIN reason they want you to do problems by hand is to make sure you don't program the calculator to give you other info. So if you offered to let them examine your calculator ahead of time that might sway things your way. Or even to show up with a brand new calculator still in the packaging so that you COULDN'T cheat, that might help.

either way, they are discriminating against you by not giving you accommodations.

BUT if they don't know you need accommodations, then they can't help you. You are not the first person to need them, and you won't be the last.

Take some time to grieve over your test grade. It hurts, I know. then enroll in the LPN program and study for the RN exam - after asking for accommodations.

And find someone to teach you a.) HOW to take tests and b.) how to take THIS test. It doesn't matter how many hours you put into studying if you are doing it ineffectively. There ARE ways to learn to study effectively. I was a national merit finalist - with scholarship - and almost FLUNKED out of college because I didn't know how to STUDY. so I took an "idiot" class (as my friends called it) on how to study. The class was created for jocks, but anyone could take it. It was AMAZING. The Education Dept taught it where i was in school. After that class, my grades were SOOOO much better!

by the way, what would you do to Nichole or Travis if they went into a test this big and DIDN'T ask for accomodations? Just a question.

You really CAN do anything you want to. You just may have to take a slightly different road to get there.

Hugs,

Susie

Sending very gentle hugs and a big bag of treats.

Susie

Star*

call 911........call 911
Listen her Florence Nightengale Henderson -

Ya ain't perfect. Ya ain't gonna be perfect. Ya ain't even gonna never get upset and make a mistake. (except for marrying a man with 3 children who later turns out to have a male lover) -BRRRRRRADY BUNCH.....

So let me see......gosh did I take an RN exam? NOooooooooo
Did I at least TRY to take an RN exam? Nooooooooooooooo

and why is that Star*???????? Hmmmmmm Daisy??????

BECAUSE I WOULD PUKE AND PASS OUT at the mere mention of blood draw.
ANd look at you - you're a vampire with a license......

You've done seomthing spectacular that most of us have never attempted. So QUIT is NOT in YOUR vocabulary.......

Now go poke some more people......and when you get to me have a pillow - I tell them every time - I pass out and I'm a big girl at 5'8" and 240 lbs. Usually I just wake up where I started.....but it's okay I get oj.

AS FOR YOU???????

KEEP GOING!! I BELIEVE IN YOU! - except for that poking needle stuff I think you're a dandy!

tiredmommy

{{{Hugs}}} to you Lisa. Susie makes an excellent point... ask for some accommodations even if it means the examiner brings their own calculator. I have faith that you can find a way to do this.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
LOL Starbie you wouldn't pass out on me. I'd keep you yakking and cutting jokes and slip that needle in slick as a whistle and you'd never even feel it. Poof you'd be done and asking me why I hadn't taken your blood. ;)

I'm not gonna quit. (but like I said, I was sorely tempted) I'm just rearranging my plans a bit. I'm going to do what the nursing advisor talked about. I'm going to put my application in and interview for the LPN so I'm on the list for spring. Then I'm well on my way and can step up later if I can't for some reason get accommodation for the exam right now. (I may have to have some sort of evaluation done first)

And Nichole showed me the math book I just bought for a class I was going to take next quarter. (she's already had the class) She said it's the best math book she's ever seen. It actually explains how to do everything I need to know in a way anyone can understand. So even though I'm taking next quarter off, I'm not returning the book. I'm keeping it and going to learn all it has to offer. :)

I'm taking next quarter off because the LPN is a straight thru program that last a year. No breaks whatsoever. And it will let me catch up on the house / family things before entering such an intesive program.

Today is a new day and I'm feeling much better about the whole thing. :)

Hugs

Wiped Out

Staff member
Lisa,
I'm sorry-I know how hard you worked. You are by no means stupid. Many people have blocks in certain area and then to be under a time constraint. I agree with Susie about asking for accommodations, I think it is an excellent idea. Whatever you decide, we are here for you.

Lothlorien

I'm sorry that you didn't pass the math part. Try to retake it, like the woman told you. Perhaps next time, you'll get it. If not, do the LPN program and get into the RN program after working the necessary hours. You can do this.