The Birds & The Bee's

shellyd67

Oh Marg I couldn't agree more. husband's Sister is mentally ill of some sort. Although she was never diagnosed because mother in law and father in law never took her to a doctor and to this day she has NEVER been to a Dr or a Dentist (other than what the public school system mandated) She had no prenatal care and practically delivered at home. She of course has had CYS at her door more than once. Anyhow, she has a daughter who is 13 and knows nothing about the B&B's ... She got her period at 9 and thought she was dying also. You cannot avoid these things with your children. You cannot stop time. In this day and age children must be educated the correct way and not learn about the B&B's "on the street" . I fear that husband's neice will be pregnant at a very young age because of her lack of knowledge and her desire for someone to love her. I have had little chats with her, but did not say as much as I wanted to. Her mother has no emotional connection to this child. Very, very sad ....

susiestar

Roll With It
In my case one of the biggest reasons I think my husband is a total jerk on the topic is that he AGREED to handle most of this topic with the male kids. Not just back when I was preggo, even as recently as 3 yrs ago he AGREED to do this. I did not tell him he was going to, I did not even ASK him to. I told him i thought it was time and I was going to bring the topic up - so if questions were asked that he was not comfortable asking he could tell them to ask me. HE OFFERRED - saying it would be more comfortable for them if he handled it. This happened with EACH boy at least 2 separate times.

I know that his father DID speak to him openly - his dad was a high school counsellor and vice principal when he retired so he had some experience with this (as a coach he taught health AND handled many many football teams of young men with questions). Each of my parents spoke with me separately about it - and I could ask either of them anything. That is what I wanted for my kids. It seemed logical that I might not be able to answer some questions as my plumbing is different than a male's.

I will say that neither of us was prepared for Wiz to completely not believe me when he first realized that his privates "stood up". Having had urinary surgery he thought it was broken and he was dying. I tried because it came up when husband was not home. Then husband tried. He was having NONE OF IT. Zip. Zero. Zilch. It was NOT TRUE and we were MAKING IT UP. Even at about 3 1/2 or 4 he was very sure of this, lol! I had a frantic child and did what first time mom's do -- I called my mom! I spoke to her and she had my dad call me as soon as he got home. It took both of them to get Wiz to settle down and realize that we were being honest and we were right and that it could behave all on its' own with-o him meaning it to.

I don't think I was real clear as to why I think husband has been a real problem with this topic. I hope this helps clear that up. I also did a conversation with an older Wiz in the dark at highway speeds. He asked the ?? that time, but we were NOT stopping until I had answered tehm because I didn't want his friends answering him!!

erbaledge

How the educating of children towards sex, bodies, love and families is done seems pretty family specific. I'm pretty direct and I'm not embarrassed by body parts. Teaching difficult child and easy child was unique to them. They learned and processed differently.
In the younger years I took my cues from the boys. I did tell easy child that if he asked questions that I would tell him the truth.
I asked difficult child in 3rd or 4th grade if we needed the s*x talk? He said "it's like breeding, right?" I loved it. Very factual but that's what he needed at the moment. The science of sex is the same for all living creatures.
As they got closer to puberty the books helped answer questions they were too uncomfortable to ask. It was a great resource. I would see them reading them at different times in their lives because as the issues popped up they could go back and re educate themselves. Gave them a sense of mastery?
At some time during puberty, it was time for mom to be a resource and not too involved in their body's progression.

I think the key is to not make it just "the talk" but a lifelong dialogue. Before difficult child went away to school post high school, I had a conversation about STD's and protection. If he had caught something, I wanted to make sure it wasn't because of my discomfort. I even showed difficult child where to buy protection. That conversation was done in the car and driving on the highway, so they couldn't escape. : ) husband considered abstinence after that conversation.
These talks about the physical aspects of sexuality is always part of the overall talk about respect for one's own body and for those they hold dear and the "no means no". Love is sprinkled in there and the creation of families and what happens if they create a life. There are consequences.
In the younger years they seem to process the mechanics of sex. When they are older the emotional part is better processed even if it seems that boys still are always interested in the mechanics.
Try to keep it light and don't squirm. You want to keep sex and sexuality in a positive light and not dirty.
I never got a talk from parents and was very appreciative of the movie about girl's bodies that was shown in school. Eventually, I learned to find the info about sexuality in books. It was less biased in the end anyhow.
Good luck.

Fran - I believe you and I have very similar opinions on how to handle the 'birds & the bee's'. :)
What books did you give them?
I'd like to get something for ds13, but no clue which one, as there is so many out there. I want the facts, truths, and realities for him. I've given him just about as much open talks as can be at this age, and until he becomes sexually active, I think we are on a stand still. I know some talks he's gotten a little pink in the cheeks (embarrassment?) but we kept chugging along on the topic.
I could ask his Dad to have a talk (we are divorced, but ds13 and dd10 see dad regularly) with him also, but I really don't know how that will fly, and also if we are on the same page as for what type of info to share (in my opinion, no question will go unanswered for ds13 from me) and I don't feel like quizzing ds to see if Dad answered all his questions or gave him real answers, so I'd rather do it myself or with factual books (or informative).

by the way, on this topic, I can share here: ds13 took home the Interactive Baby a month or two ago, and took the entire class. At the end of the class, he brought home an Abstinence Vow :D , he carefully handed it for me to sign after he signed it, telling me the teacher said it was optional, but after having that baby one night, he DOES NOT want to even think about having sex! (Can't that attitude last until he's married!?!? lol) I was/am proud of him, but also know, teenage boys have hormones, and that can change on a whim.

Marguerite

I'd like to get something for ds13, but no clue which one, as there is so many out there.

I went to the local library and searched the shelves to see what was there. I read through everything they had and selected the book I felt was the best 'fit' for difficult child 3.

If you need help, ask a librarian. Obviously YOU know the facts of life, but you want the librarian to help you find the best choice for your son, to reinforce the talk you are also going to have with him.

Marg

Fran

Former desparate mom
Erbalage, These are the two that I used. The first one is for earlier years than 13. I think I gave that one to my boys in second or third grade when there were questions. The second is a little more appropriate with more explanation. This series of books has one that I have not used but may be helpful. It's a A guide for Parents and Teens by Linda Maras. You can find all of these on amazon.com

"What's Happening to Me?" A Guide to Puberty [Paperback]

Peter Mayle (Author), Arthur Robins (Illustrator)
Fran

The "What's Happening to My Body" Book for Boys, Revised Third Edition (What's Happening to My Body?) [Paperback]

Lynda Madaras (Author), Area Madaras (Author)

I just want the hush/hush secretiveness out of the physical aspect of our bodies maturing. It's private but it isn't dirty or something to keep under wraps. It can be a beautiful and wonderful aspect to a healthy relationship or it can be breeding. It's up to the two adults how they want it to be.
Good luck.