The board jinx strikes again

flutterby

Fly away!
difficult child has been complaining about a boy in her history class that is always pestering her - constantly seeking out her attention, telling her he loves her, etc. Tonight she asked me to call the school because now every time he sees her in the halls, he puts his hands on her shoulders and won't stop even when she's asked. difficult child doesn't liked to be touched as it is.

Now, I don't know the situation. difficult child doesn't read the cues very well. I don't know if this is a kid with similar issues and has trouble with boundaries, if he's just immature and/or attention seeking, or if he thinks she's an easy target. I have decided to address it by calling the history teacher (who is also a coach) and asking him to intervene. I don't want to get the boy in trouble; that's not what I'm aiming for. Just a discussion that stop means stop.

And then....

A rumor started circulating at school today that difficult child is dating one of her female friends. I asked her if she thought the above mentioned boy could have started it and she said no; that he is annoying, but he isn't mean. She has no idea where it came from. She doesn't know enough people to even be the butt of rumors, Know what I mean??

Why does this stuff always happen to our kids? easy child, girlfriend and one of easy child's friends were here (all recent grads). Their take was to ignore it or go along with it.

difficult child doesn't care what people thinks, but apparently the friend's boyfriend broke up with her over it. Of course, at that age kids break up because it's Wednesday.

Drama, drama, drama.

difficult child, however, has worked herself into a fever. She's been doing so well. Please keep good thoughts that this won't set back all the progress she's made in the last few weeks.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Heather,
I hate how mean kids can be-drives me crazy. I'm sorry that difficult child is having to deal with this-it's so hard on kids that age. I will be saying prayers, crossing fingers, that things get better quickly! Hugs to you and difficult child.

LittleDudesMom

I'm telling you, girls that age are the absolute worst! They are petty and vindinctive and judgemental....I'm so sorry that difficult child is bearing the brunt of the rumor mill. Our pcs go through this and most of them can shrug it off. But our difficult children, as a general rule, suffer socially and this kind of thing can really set them off.

Sorry about difficult child. A little extra loving and care is called for right now.

Fingers crossed that she is able to rise above.

Sharon

Josie

Sending good thoughts to difficult child.

Hopefully the rumor mill will move on quickly and the coach's talk will do the trick.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I think difficult child means that these are the kinds of people that things just HAPPEN to.

husband & both kids fall into this category, as does my best friend E.

I wonder if it is self-inflicted (in a way), or if it is a result of just being a difficult child.

Self-fulfilling prophecy; they think something is going to happen so it does?

crazymama30

Hugs. I hope the rumour mill stops, and difficult child is able to find a way to deal with it. Is she still seeing her therapist? It might be a good thing to bring up to her/him on the next visit to see if she can somehow help difficult child work through it.

Sometimes school is just harsh as the kids are so mean.

KTMom91

I'm so sorry. High school girls can be horrible creatures; we went through something similar with Miss KT during freshman year...a MySpace group titled "I hate..." and lots of drama during school.

Things smoothed down by sophomore year, not that that's any consolation, but at least it was somewhat calmer. Hugs to difficult child.